How to ask someone to be your BF or GF

47 posts in this topic

Posted

It's always worked for me. It doesn't make me false to think it over, I think it over so I don't stutter or stumble over words.

Yes it does make it false. Your stuttering and stumbling over words is natural

Posted

Just man up and ask her. That's what I'm going to do tomorrow when I ask Madelyn out tomorrow.

Just be cool about it. Be yourself.

Posted

thinking about it advance is still stuff you thought of, that's not false.

Getting someone else to write you something that you remember and read out, now THAT'S false

Posted

In situations like these, what someone does in the spur of the moment shows who they really are. For instance, when someone describes something verbally they won't do it as elegantly as they would if they were writing prose (in most cases most people aren't that articulate or eloquent in their speech; if they are, they usually pause a lot which shows something about that person).

Posted

In situations like these, what someone does in the spur of the moment shows who they really are. For instance, when someone describes something verbally they won't do it as elegantly as they would if they were writing prose (in most cases most people aren't that articulate or eloquent in their speech; if they are, they usually pause a lot which shows something about that person).

Ah, but this seems more like a philosophical disagreement. What is the true self? Is is by how others define you, creating a mirror image self? Is it deep inside you? The funny thing is that most people actually aren't their true selves in public. I'm sure there are many things you do that you wouldn't dare tell anyone. And if you did, it would only be at a time of deep emotional turmoil or depression. Who you really are is not who you appear to be. However, if you sat down and actually thought about what you would say...and made it personal. That would show who you truly are.

Posted (edited)

Ah, but this seems more like a philosophical disagreement. What is the true self? Is is by how others define you, creating a mirror image self? Is it deep inside you? The funny thing is that most people actually aren't their true selves in public. I'm sure there are many things you do that you wouldn't dare tell anyone. And if you did, it would only be at a time of deep emotional turmoil or depression. Who you really are is not who you appear to be. However, if you sat down and actually thought about what you would say...and made it personal. That would show who you truly are.

Just stop. You're being ridiculous. Philosophy is ridiculous; it's the most opinionated and biased thing there is. With it you can both "prove" and "disprove" anything. So stop.

In reply to this specific part of your post:

if you sat down and actually thought about what you would say...and made it personal. That would show who you truly are.

When you think something over, you have an initial thought/idea/whatever. In this case you'd say, "I'll say <this>." But then you think about it some more, and you decide to change it (and you likely will several times). This is because you're going through a thought process. Your thought processes are influenced by your experiences. So in a way, you're right. The thing is that your experiences are just masking your original thought/idea/whatever. In fact, if you had bad experiences in the past you might decide not to go for it at all – and that's not what you really want. Even if you do go for it, the fact that you thought it over still went through that filter of experiences. This means that your original thought is the purest – closest to your heart (and it's your intentions that truly count). Whatever you say in the heat of the moment isn't affected deliberately by how the combination of your culture, environment, human interactions, etc., has influenced your cognitive processes. This means that you are the one saying it; not your culture, environment, or other experiences.

This is simple cognitive psychology. Psychology is a science. It's proved by empirical evidence. You can't argue with this. Of course you'll try to, because you think this has to do with philosophy. You think you're a philosophical guy who can argue anything by continually asking why, when all you really are is a guy who doesn't want to accept the reasonable standards our realm of consciousness has set for us. You think that by throwing questions into the blinding light of our edges of consciousness you'll be able to break the barrier. There is no barrier – the light is blinding because our consciousness doesn't reach that far. Accept it. If it expands it will expand, but you're not propagating it to do so.

Edited by Chameleon (see edit history)

Posted

Just stop. You're being ridiculous. Philosophy is ridiculous; it's the most opinionated and biased thing there is. With it you can both "prove" and "disprove" anything. So stop.

In reply to this specific part of your post:

When you think something over, you have an initial thought/idea/whatever. In this case you'd say, "I'll say <this>." But then you think about it some more, and you decide to change it (and you likely will several times). This is because you're going through a thought process. Your thought processes are influenced by your experiences. So in a way, you're right. The thing is that your experiences are just masking your original thought/idea/whatever. In fact, if you had bad experiences in the past you might decide not to go for it at all

Posted (edited)

Just stop. You're sounding ridiculous. Everything you're saying is nonsensical.

Either you're just being stupid, or you're trying to mock me and doing a horrible job. You see, I supported my argument. You did not.

Now I could use some of the logic you used in the Religion thread and say that since I gave a reason and you didn't, then what I said is the answer (the truth) and what you said is not. But that would be stupid, wouldn't it? Though it doesn't matter anyway because I supported my argument.

Edited by Chameleon (see edit history)

Posted

I think it's interesting how everybody is answering the question, "How do you ask a girl out?" rather than the actual question asked.

I can't speak for all girls, but I know of a few that distiguish a difference between going on a date and being boyfriend/girlfriend.

Posted

Well first off, I don't think this guy is actually 22 like his profile says. At the age I think he is: there isn't really a difference between going out and asking someone to be your girlfriend. And in most cases one does go with the other. If he already asked the girl out the next step shouldn't be much of a problem...

Posted

I agree. Still, though, they are different.

Posted

This is how you ask a girl out

You look to the ground and put one foot on your toes, then you twist that round and then ask shyly "do you want to go out with me" in a high pitched voice.

Posted

Somehow, I don't think so.

It might be just me :wacko:

Posted

fuck first, ask later :)

Posted

So tell me How do you ask someone to be your boy friend or your girl friend without looking like a moron? :unsure:

To answer your question, you don't.