Forming a more perfect timeline theory

223 posts in this topic

Posted

Although there is an official time line thread, it's large and cluttered and hasn't been posted in recently, and doesn't quite serve the purpose that this thread will. Rather than posting your theories about it, I'd like us to find connections between the games and thus help make the most correct theory possible. Too many theories are flawed. In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a perfect one. So that's what I want to make, but I'll need your help.

I'll start with a few I can think of off the top of my head.

MM comes after OoT. (Obvious...)

OoA and OoS take place before MC, because in MC, the description for the Nayru figurine reads "She is descended from a line of oracles in the land of Labrynna."

Also, it is believed that OoA and OoS are alternate dimensions if I've heard right, however, MC suggests otherwise. I quote this from the Din figurine: "She is a famous dancer from Holodrum." This, combined with my previous observation, leads to believe that Labrynna and Holodrum are in the same dimension.

Also, another obvious one, PH is after WW.

TP seems to come after OoT, because one, Hyrule is very similar, and two, you get the bow that was used by the "Hero" or something like that, presumably the Hero of Time. I'm pretty sure that there was something else that implied that it was OoT Link's bow, but I can't quite remember...

That's all I've got at the moment. If any of you could add some more connections you can find, or reinforce or disprove mine, that would be great. :)

Posted

Don't forget that ocarina of time is what starts the two dimensions.

Hyrule A:

Link as a child after Zelda returns him at the end of ocarina of time. With the Ocarina of Time in hand, Link heads out to find Navi and Majora's Mask begins.

Hyrule B:

The future hyrule that Link left behind. Zelda; however, remained. Ganondorf also remained, sealed away in the sacred realm. Twilight princess takes place sometime after that. Wind waker also takes place after this, evident by the opening cinematic in the game. Phantom hourglass after wind waker

Posted

Arc's got it all correct. Zeldafan, good, but most people usually lump TP in Hyrule A after MM, since the Ganondorf of TP was definitely not sealed away by Zelda like the Ganondorf in Hyrule B. Now, some other facts and some general assumptions.

MC is after WW and PH, because in Cloud Tops you can see that Hyrule is an island in a large sea. By extension, OoA and OoS must be after WW and PH as well.

OoT is first, as stated by Miyamoto. MC obviously can't be first, for the reasons stated above.

LoZ and AoL are usually assumed to be at the end of the line owing to the relatively large emptiness of Hyrule and the only undeniably final death of Ganondorf.

Posted

One thing I don't agree with, or rather it confuses me, is where Twilight Princess actually fits in. In the game, Link is told by the Hero shade that the legendary hero's blood runs through his veins. He also has the triforce of courage from the start. This leads us to believe that Link is a direct descendent from the Ocarina of Time Link, possibly his son. However, OOT Link was sent back in time by Zelda, and Nintendo already stated that Twilight Princess takes place in Hyrule B. How is this possible? Any suggestions?

Posted

The simple answer: TP fits in Hyrule A. When Aonuma said that TP was in Hyrule B, TP wasn't what it is now. It was planned to be the game before the flood, and after Aonuma said what he did the game was changed. Going on that and on the in-game evidence, you have to put it in Hyrule A.

Posted

Possibly. That leaves an opening for Zelda Wii to be the game with the epic flood. Ok, so let's see...Link gets back from majora's mask and...does what? OOS and OoA? Zelda 1 and 2? Twilight Princess? OOHH!

Could Twilight Princess Link quite possibly be young link grown up? He has his blood since it's his own. And, the tale he told of the "hero of time" probably spread throughout hyrule. It would explain ability to ride a horse and use a sword. What it doesn't explain is what happened to the kokiri.

Posted

I would say OoT Link settles down somewhere and relaxes? Poor kid needs to get some time to relax.

So far, from our facts in the thread, we have

Hyrule A: OoT -> MM -> TP

Hyrule B: OoT -> WW -> PH -> OoS/OoA -> MC

with LoZ -> AoL sitting at the end of one of the two, and the rest of the games unplaced.

Posted (edited)

Except in OoS and OoA Link is riding epona at the beginning, so it can't take place after ww and ph.

Also, Link's Awakening has to take place somewhere.

Edited by zeldafancs (see edit history)

Posted

Fun Fact!

Did you know? that Wind Waker took place 100 years after Ocarina?

Posted

Lol yep.

Posted

Wow. It looks like we're already off to a good start. You guys rock!

I can't think of anything else right now....

Posted

altp has to go somewhere...

i think that la happens either after the flood or before it because link is shiprecked on the island and thus he would have had to be in either flooded hyrule or a place outside of hyrule(most likely because if i remberright it says he left hyrule for new adventures)

Posted (edited)

As of February 2009

Creation -> Stuff -> OoT, Ganondorf is tattled on, and MM -> Relative Peace -> TP ->-------Unknowable for Now

Creation -> Stuff -> --------------------OoT ->-----------------------------------Doom -> WW and PH -> Unknowable for Now

Edited by Sheogorath (see edit history)

Posted

Except in OoS and OoA Link is riding epona at the beginning, so it can't take place after ww and ph.

There's a horse named Epona in TP too. Are you suggesting they're the exact same horse as well?

I'd say it's far more likely that it was just some horse, not necessarily Epona. The imagery of Link riding a horse is symbolic of Epona, not literal.

Did you know? that Wind Waker took place 100 years after Ocarina?

This is generally agreed upon by most people to be a mistranslation. Pluralization is somewhat ambiguous in Japanese, and one often relies on context to determine a meaning. It's not as easy as adding an s to hundred, because both words are the same. Hence, most people now assume Aonuma meant hundreds, plural, since the notion of a land flooding and people completely forgetting that the flood ever occurred within 100 years is impossible.

Posted

It also sounds like Twilight Princess taking place just 30 years after OOT is highly improbable. There's no way the kingdom would change that much in so little a time.