Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Link's Father (In the Games)

96 posts in this topic

Posted

OR you could have the whole Virgin Mary deal. "Have a child, no strings attached!" 8D

Posted

I don't think Link's father is any character seen or mentioned in any games thus far. The amount of information on him is so bare, it doesn't even seem fair to speculate yet.

As for the poe collector theory... When you first meet him, he says something along the lines of "if I were as handsome as you, I could run a different kind of business" and then cackles creepily. Doesn't seem like something father would say to son.

Maybe he was admiring the family trait of handsomeness.

Maybe there was no mention whatsoever of Link's father. I know it's not what we want to hear but it is a possibility.

Posted

We know that Link's father isn't mentioned. We probably don't even know who Link is. He's a chosen hero, but that's really all that we know. He always appears time and time again as though he's reincarnated and perfectly in time to save the day. Is he really just a Hylian? Does he really have a father at all?

It's said that Zelda begins with Ocarina of Time. Some would argue, but let's go with this. Link is brought into Kokiri Forest by a woman(his mother?), who is said to die right there or soon after.

So we can assume that he had a father, but did he really?

I don't know, man, but it keeps me up at night.

Posted

Apparently, his father died in the war. According to OoT, that is.

Posted

Link's father in Ocarina of Time could quite possibly have been a soldier who died in the war.

The most interesting theory I have for the role of Link's father is the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess. His last words, "Go and do not falter, my son." Could mean 1 of 2 things.

If taken literally, Link is the son of the Hero. Many speculate that the Hero's Shade is the Link from Ocarina of Time, so that would make OoT's Link TP's Link's daddy. This could further be speculated if Twilight Princess takes place in the OOT->MM side of the timeline. Perhaps after Link returned from Termina he married and had a child. Then was turned into a stalfos for whatever reason. It's just a theory, but it could have very well happened.

If you take his diction "my son" as just a term of endearment and not a literal meaning, then he is quite possibly not his father, just sharing a few sentimental words as his mentor.

sorry to rain on Many peoples parade but that is imposible. Many people clame that that is what happend but it isn't the people in the game say that that was an ANCHENT legend and the spirit of lake hilia said (i might have interpided this wrong) that link died and his spirit was sealed inside that links body. so the like in TP could be the link in OOC.

im just saying

Posted

one problem, Link doesn't talk

At the beginning of TP during a cut scene where Link is riding Epona back into the village and Ilia is walking next to him (just after you round up the goats for the first time), you can clearly see they are having a conversation cos his lips are moving and she is responding. but ur right in that we never here him talk...which is a bit of a shame lol

We know that Link's father isn't mentioned. We probably don't even know who Link is. He's a chosen hero, but that's really all that we know. He always appears time and time again as though he's reincarnated and perfectly in time to save the day. Is he really just a Hylian? Does he really have a father at all?

It's said that Zelda begins with Ocarina of Time. Some would argue, but let's go with this. Link is brought into Kokiri Forest by a woman(his mother?), who is said to die right there or soon after.

So we can assume that he had a father, but did he really?

I don't know, man, but it keeps me up at night.

are u saying it's like a mary/joseph situation?? cos that has crossed my mind with the whole triforce tattoo thing he has going (wait, does ganondorf have one too????) but i dont have the N64 games anymore so i cant go back and look for evidence lol but i would say its a definant posibility that the gods essentially created link and he doesnt have a biological father or whatever...

Posted

you're all wrong. hylians produce asexually. they just divide and multiply like mad

Posted

Sure, Fifetus

-_-

Posted

My Link theory is my sig (it is a poem I mind you)squint.gif

[quote name='「Arcane

Posted

:D

Welcome to Hyrule, by the way.

Posted

THX

Posted

Oh dear God, yeah, thanks for the Tingle-as-Link's-father theory.  :wacko:

I guess it's supposed to remain a mystery, since the orphaned boy is part of the archetype. How many fantasy stories have you ever read where the hero has both parents alive and happily together raising him? Very few. The hero is usually either orphaned, lives with one parent (possibly not knowing much about the other), separated from his parents, is raised by grandparents or aunts and uncles, or has an unhappy home life. It's part of the impetus to get the hero out into the world. The orphaned boy might have a longing to find out about what happened to his parent(s), a sense of vengeance for his dead parents, or maybe a sense of not fitting in with the people around him.

Having previous Heroes of Time would explain a lot, too, especially if the new hero's mother loses her head over boys with swords, and Link is all "Wham, bam, thank you ma'am" and leaves her to go on another adventure. It's all hushed up by everyone else, making up stories about the young hero's father being a soldier who got killed by a moblin or Ganon or whatever.

I'm envisioning a picture book about this: Young Link traveling around Hyrule asking various creatures, "Are you my father?"

Posted

that guy in TP could be his uncle from that other Zelda game (can't remember what it was called) that died in Hyrule casle

Posted

I doubt it. He is brought back to life when Link wishes on the Triforce, and the Hero's Shade is pretty much implied to be the Hero of Time. It is also very difficult to place A Link to the Past before Twilight Princess without major timeline problems.

I agree pretty much with Arachne. Having Link lose his parents seems to play on the heroic archtype (including having him raised by a fairy race or his unlce). Also I think Nintendo is just hesitent to give Link parents, as they would need to be brand new people for every incarnation. Also consider the fact that we've never seen the same relative raise Link in any two games- they done an uncle, grandma, grandpa, and then just left his domestic situtation up in the air.

Posted

he has to die sometime