Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask GB

104 posts in this topic

Posted

(I think) The main argument behind having only two buttons is to retain the original feel of the Gameboy Zelda games. The pseudo-depth method also won't work because most of the game is being rearranged to work with the Gameboy feel, if that makes sense.

Posted

For the Stone Tower, we can use conventional staircases and floors.

Posted

The thing is, Deku Link's flight pattern goes up and down. There was more thab one place in where you had to fly up and land on a small platform, or fall down and do the same. If you can't see where you're falling, how can you effectively land? Using holes would make it almost impossible to have any accuracy at all, unless you can see at least a vague outline of what you're aiming at?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding stubborn, I'm just trying to figure out how it would work. The method I'm thinkingof would have been entirely possible on the GB, but with those games there wasn't a need to see where you fall.

We could think of something else, of course, but we have to think of something a bit more than stairs and holes. Like I said, there has to be at least some way to know where you're going. Or, we could modify if enough to not need to move between levels at all.

Posted

We could probably use shadows to show where you'll land. When I get some more programming experience, I might put together a demo game engine that addresses the issues. Right now I'm more focused on doing service hours for school and preparing for the ACT.

Posted

I actually plan on redoing most of the dungeons to fit 2D puzzles, while still trying to retain the original dungeons look and fell (keeping color palattes, making sure the forest temple looks overgrown, freezing over the Snowhead temple, waterlogging the Great Bay temple, etc. etc.) The hook shot and the deku's plant flying ability will almost be the same - the hookshot can help you cross gaps when there's no flower nearby, and the deku mask can get you across gaps where there's nothing to hookshot too, in addition to being able to pass over obstacles - the deku palace, for example - both floors will part of one map, and you'll be able to see both floors clearly (considering the second floor is mostly platforms comprised of pillars on the first floor) and you'll use Deku Link's shadow to determine when to drop. The only thing I think will hamper this method is the Deku Playground - in order to have enough time to see AND react to a shadow appearing on a platform passing under you as fast as they do in the original game, I'd have to slow the platforms down considerably, possibly making it so easy that it'll be a crime. xD And it'd probably be much more difficult to just guess when the platform will be under you when the area is 2D, especially if I don't change the time limits for the games, because then players could get impatient and waste more than 500 rupees on just one of the games. (Like I did two weeks ago, trying to get that god-forsaken Heart Piece! But, the dekus' reactions whenever I entered after I got it was worth it. >:3)

With the Stone Tower, I plan on using the classic "multiple floors, all connected by staircases" thing that's really common in the LoZ GB games. I like the psedo-depth system idea, but it sounds like the shadow would appear as if it's floating in the middle of the air, unless we programmed it so that the shadow got smaller and blurrier if the player is hovering over a pseudo-depth gap.

While the target system [i]IS[/i] PC only, I'd like not to pass out of the two button boundary too much to retain the "GB" game feel (the entire purpose of me doing this xD). I'm fine with three buttons, though, which will probably be what will end up happening- taking into account that the needs of masks are so often and can annoyingly conflict with other items you need/use regularly even in the original 64 version. If we put two buttons, then they'll often conflict with the sword and shield as well, and you could end up spending half of the game time played in the menu. I don't know about you, but games that do that tend to lose my interest. xD especially if you INSIST on wasting one of the item buttons with the Fierce Deity Mask once you acquire it (like me, hence my first SN, FierceDeityLink394. :embarrassed: :squint:)

Posted

Interesting, I will help as much as possible, I have a lot of graphics Exp, I'm Trying to learn C++, and I have a lot of time on my hands these days. So put me down for whatever you need in the spriting/ mapping/ sig making depts. and I'll see how long it takes for me to learn what I need in C++.

Posted

I think that if we're going to get serious about this, we should host it on Sourceforge. (https://sourceforge.net/) That will give us some good tools to better collaborate on it. I'd suggest licensing it under GNU, and be sure to make it clear that it is a fan game and not a copyright violation.

Also, I'd suggest naming the project something like "Zelda: Majora's Mask Retro", you know, something catchy. Especially if we're going to use a wider resolution than the GB. We shouldn't be bound to the GB moniker, just "retro" sounds better. I'm not suggesting we abandon the GB look and feel, it's just more of a name thing.

Posted

@Silent One: Awesome, thanks. ^_^

@Aethix: OK, sounds good. Once I find the time to look through and update the first post (I'm actually suppose to be doing something else right now xD) I'll look into SourceForge. I like the "retro" name thing, it does sound a lot better than GB.

Posted

Oh wow, I found something kind of... interesting.

[url="http://www.hyrule.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=487"]http://www.hyrule.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=487[/url]

Posted

Look at the SN of the guy who posted that, then read the first post again, Aethix. :P xD

Posted

I know, I just said it was interesting. It is interesting, that this has already been attempted. Also, I thought real link's nontuple post was rather funny, but that's beside the point.

Posted

Ok, thank you much for answering my questions. I think the dungeons could be redesigned.

I'm at the beach right now, so I'll get to work on the remixing and recreating of the music on piano. I should be able to get a lot done, so I think it's possible that I could have the full soundtrack done by the end of summer vacation or soon after.

There is one more thing, though. I could do a very straightforward remix, very simple music, and it would be as fast as I mentioned above. Or, I could do something a bit more complex. I could do somehong in the same manner as 8bm, which would take a bit more time, but it would be so, so rewarding. I would say that a rough estimate of the time it would take to do the whole soundtrack that way would be mid-fall.

I think the second way would be more rewarding, but it really depends on when you hope to have this finished. Late summer would be nearly impossible, so the second way sounds more likely.

Posted

I don't mind. Do one track both ways (just pick one - it doesn't matter) and then post them. I'll listen to them, and see which one I like more.

Posted

Oh man this is gonna be so cool! ^_^

Hey, I might gonna do something like this:
[img]http://0rangechicken.com/images/IMG_0000_89.png[/img]

Once it is released! It would be awesome! :joy:

Posted

[quote name='Adr990' post='230428' date='Jun 23 2009, 01:35 PM']Oh man this is gonna be so cool! ^_^

Hey, I might gonna do something like this:
[img]http://0rangechicken.com/images/IMG_0000_89.png[/img]

Once it is released! It would be awesome! :joy:[/quote]

Not to sound rude, but isn't the comment regarding Pokemon Gold kinda in the wrong place?