Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask GB

104 posts in this topic

Posted

[quote name='Corrupt One' post='240351' date='Jul 28 2009, 11:04 AM']Huh. Here's my ref.
[img]http://www.kasuto.net/image/officialart/majora_mask.jpg[/img]
Ah. That's the official art that I used. The in game is different. Anyhow, I didn't really change anything other that, so the text should be fine. The only thing I dislike about your fix of the mask is that the 'pickles' are too sharply contrasting with the rest of the mask, and that the right eye(from our view) is too dark. Oh yeah, and that orange clashes with everything. Too much saturation. Oh well, It's your game. Edit: Get rid of those two stray pixels under the Z.[/quote]
The pickle thingys look OK to me, but then again, I can't tell if you're complaining about their color or just the pickle thingys in general.

The dark eye is the shading; I might redo it again, it does look a bit off.

The orange color was taken straight from the mask - that might be problem. XD

The two pixels aren't stray, they're parts of the blue spikes. But I've removed them to see how it lookeed, and it does make it look better. Thanks!

Posted

The pickles. Well, look where they touch the spikes. See that white-ish color, right next to the darker color? That looks bad. You could try something like antialiasing, by picking a color that'll work as a transition, then putting it 1px thick where the spikes and pickle touch. Otherwise it looks like you have a negative space there, and well, I think it looks bad. May just be me. Get some other people to suggest things about it.

You took the orange right from the picture? No wonder it felt so off. Just find a fitting color, that'll shade well.

The eye shouldn't need to be shaded, it's [i]glowing[/i]. You probably know that, though.

As for the two stray pixels, while they're not really 'stray', they feel that way. Actually, a lot of the ZELDA lettering had stray pixels like that that made the outline too fat. That all got fixed up in my version. Did you use the same text(minus the Retro, which is my next thing) from my version?

As for that Retro, If you have some extra space, try adding the lighter shade on the top and left contours.

Posted

[quote name='Corrupt One' post='240428' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:42 PM']The pickles. Well, look where they touch the spikes. See that white-ish color, right next to the darker color? That looks bad. You could try something like antialiasing, by picking a color that'll work as a transition, then putting it 1px thick where the spikes and pickle touch. Otherwise it looks like you have a negative space there, and well, I think it looks bad. May just be me. Get some other people to suggest things about it.

You took the orange right from the picture? No wonder it felt so off. Just find a fitting color, that'll shade well.

The eye shouldn't need to be shaded, it's [i]glowing[/i]. You probably know that, though.

As for the two stray pixels, while they're not really 'stray', they feel that way. Actually, a lot of the ZELDA lettering had stray pixels like that that made the outline too fat. That all got fixed up in my version. Did you use the same text(minus the Retro, which is my next thing) from my version?

As for that Retro, If you have some extra space, try adding the lighter shade on the top and left contours.[/quote]
Oh OK, I see what you mean. I'll have some other people look at it and see what they think.

Oh whoops, I forgot the eyes glowed. Silly me! *facepalm* XD

Yeah, I used the text from your copy, I thought it looked amazing.

I tried that on the 'R', but it felt too cramped for me.

Posted

I figured as much on the RETRO, since I believe you made the interior 2px wide. Thanks for the praise on the title, but It wasn't really that hard, all I did was use the Link's Awakening title for an example. Perhaps you might want to make the smaller text more like that? All you'd really need to do is get rid of the border around the actual letters, and maybe make them darker. I dunno how that would look though. and perhaps Retro isn't really the best name? 2D might be and Idea, but do not change it simply because I said so, ask the people who are actually working on this with you. Looks like this'll be great. Just don't loose support. Well, get some more first. I'll be behind you the whole way.

Posted

The name's up in the air, I have no clue what it's gonna be yet. XD

Hmmm, Link's Awakening as a reference... I'll check that out - I've been using the Oracle games thus far. ^_^

And thanks for your help and support. X3 I really appreciate it.

Posted

Do you still need music? I started working on learning Termina Field and it reminded me of this thread :P

Posted

I think we've got it covered, but please post it here anyway if you finish it; I'm always open to accept help. =D

Posted

Oh yeah, I'm not the type to refuse help. I get my keyboard within the next two weeks, so I'm going to start the recording process then. The only thing about the music is that you'd have to either have a synth or a USB-compatable keyboard to make it work if you were going to do actual recording. If you don't have those things, however, I would greatly appreciate if you would take the full sheet music and start simplifying it, making it sound more like the 8 or 16-bit music of the gameboy days. That would significantly cut down on the time it would take me to finish my part.

If you can't, though, there is no need to worry. All is good, and I can do it myself. Honestly, I could incorporate this project into my schoolwork next year in my Advanced Multimedia class. I have to master a piece of advanced software, and I've been going back and forth between Adobe Audition (the audio editor I will use for the recording) and Adobe After Effects (video editing software). If I pick Audition, I'd have a reason to do this for at least 48 minutes every day in class. But honestly, I'm leaning towards After Effects right now.

Oh! By the way, I can create a really cool opening sequence or trailer for the game if you want. My prior experience with 3D modeling would make a gradual transition from a 3D version of Hyrule to a 2D version relatively simple. Just a simple artistic thought, an idea for a trailer:

The camera pans across Hyrule, showing mountains and desert, lakes with creatures swimming under the surface and pirates sailing above. It passes over a forest and eventually reaches a huge town, where it makes a passover as it moves down, eventually bringing us just barely over the ground. The camera turns, looking over at the mountains and flying up the side, coming to rest on a rock. The rock falls, rolling down the side of the mountain and crashing to the ground, kicking up a ton of dust. But rather than conventional dust, it throws up paper-thin brown and green squares. The squares settle as the camera moves to a bird's-eye view again, showing the landscape as it flattens out, the cubism spreading like fire across the field and into the town, passing right through and hitting the forest, where it reaches a boy asleep under a tree. He's already cubified by the time we see him. Then, the title fades in.

Thoughts? As soon as I finish downloading After Effects, I may start working on some of the models for this. Even if it's not something you'd be interested in as an official trailer or opener, I think it would be immensely fun and challenging to make, and the result I'm picturing would be really cool.

Posted

Sounds interesting. I'll wait to see it before I say I do/don't like it, but I think the ending of the sequence should focus more on the moon. Perhaps maybe even a glimpse of the moon's inside world, with all four kids and the masks?

Posted

Termina Field MIDI: [url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SZH3N4LD"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SZH3N4LD[/url]

Good Y/N?

Posted

Close, but I would say that the bass part sounds a bit too busy. If you listen to the old gameboy music, it tends to restrict the polyphonic sounds to two tones at a time.

So, I would say you've got the right idea, but to only use one tone in the bass at a time. If you do that, it could pass as authentic gameboy music.

Posted

Yeah true. I was just trying to get it to sound harsh, to set the real tone for the game.

[url="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MX0T4NPH"]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MX0T4NPH[/url]

How's that?

Posted

The tune is great, but honestly, it sounds like it's being played on an organ more than a gameboy. Hold on, I found the gameboy sounds a while ago, just let me track down a link for you.

After that, I think it'll be pretty perfect.

EDIT: Here is a link for you: [url="http://www.delamancha.co.uk/basic.htm"]de la Mancha basic64[/url].

It does 6, 8, and 16-bit sounds. Give it a try and see what you think.

Posted

I can't seem to open it. Is there another program I have to download to get it to work?

Posted

Oh yeah, I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that part.

It is a plug-in for Windows VST (virtual studio technology) programs.

Tell me, what recording software do you use? I can help you from there.

Again, sorry for that miscommunication on my part.