Religious vs. Spiritual

11 posts in this topic

Posted

SO, here is a question for everyone. This isn't a debate on the existence of God, or what religion my or may not be right.

I am wondering what everyones views of being religious vs. Spiritual are.

I personally see myself as spiritual, I believe in the existence of God, but I do not follow any organized church. I hate church really, I don't see a reason why man has to ell me to worship, or why I have to dress up all pretty on sunday to go to church. Those who are spiritual have their own ideas on faith and do not just eat all that is spoon fed to them.

Religious people, on the other hand, are the bible thumpers, those who wish to force their religion on anyone and everyone. I will talk openly about my faith, but I will not think of you as less if you follow a different one, or none at all. Unless you are a member of the WBC...... Religious people will crucify those who do not believe exactly as they believe. They are the ones who think that everyone should live according to their morals, and ideas, while often not following them themselves.

So, what does everyone think?

Posted

I disagree with your explanation of religious. I consider myself religious, but I have never forced my belief upon another or persecuted someone. I go to church weekly, pray several times a day.... I'm no bible-enthusiast, nor a Book of Mormon enthusiast (Yeah, I'm Mormon), but I'm actively religious.

Posted

I disagree with your explanation of religious. I consider myself religious, but I have never forced my belief upon another or persecuted someone. I go to church weekly, pray several times a day.... I'm no bible-enthusiast, nor a Book of Mormon enthusiast (Yeah, I'm Mormon), but I'm actively religious.

I would disagree, you are spiritual, you believe in what you believe, but are not evangelistic.

Basically, you can follow a religion and not be religious.

Posted

Alrighty-then. I suppose I misinterpreted your definition of spiritual. I thought you meant that spiritual people don't go to church and worship god. Sorry, I'm a bit too tired right now. I interpreted too literally.

Posted

It's like the whole Christian vs. Christ Follower thing. I would say I'm spiritual, though I do go to church and read the Bible and things like that.

To me, Christian isn't much more than a title. Most "Christians" simply go through the motions, reading their Bibles all the time, listening to nothing but Christian music simply so that they can say that they do, preaching for no reason other than to make others feel inferior. Going through the motions, if you will.

Christ Follower is a lifestyle, one where you live your life for God and do everything to his glory. There is a huge difference from the two, and I must say that "Christians" are one of the single most hurtful things towards the church and God, actually.

Posted

I am Catholic, but I disagree with several aspects of faith, such as original sin. I believe that all religions are different interpretations of the same higher being, and none of them are perfect in that interpretation. I do, however, go to church every Sunday. I suppose I fit your definition of spiritual.

Posted

I agree with Aethix, except our church believes we are totally true. I know, I know, all religions say that, but I've found that Mormonsm makes the most sense, and we have no history of persucuting others.

Posted

I'm a Southern Baptist and consider myself religious, but you're definition of religious seems to be from the viewpoint of seeing all the negativity in church. Yeah, there are some people who are hypocrites and incredibly crazy about it. If half of the church knew what it really meant to be a Christian, they would probably leave.

It's hard to really explain it in words, but it's something our new youth minister has been talking to us about... There are those who walk around with their Jesus T-shirts claiming they're Christians but not really living how Christ wants... and then there are those who try to do their best to live by His standards and show God's love to others.

I would put more, but I gotta head out soon... X-x

Posted

Hello, my name is Rain and I'm an alcoholic. Also, I don't go to church but I believe in God, Evolution and Reincarnation.

Spiritual is my way of life, bro.

Posted

I'm a pagan shaman, so spiritual.

Posted

I consider myself to be Spiritual, although I do read and try to follow the Mystical Christian faith, aka New-age Gnostic Christian.