Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

You Retard!

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

When I was a kid if someone said something weird it was customary to shout "You retard!". And if we were against something it was "Retarded". Now more than ever there's a movement to stomp out uses of the word, what say you about it?

**Edit**

We also used the word "Gay" in the same context. Same question, harmful or harmless?

Edited by The Doctor (see edit history)

Posted

You might want to change "of" to "or" in the sub-heading.

Posted

Thanks to whomever changed that, that kinda crap bothers a guy.

Posted

It hurts...

Posted (edited)

Not rely when groing up my folks called me retarted all the time. So it does'nt seem to bother me.

Edited by The White Rose (see edit history)

Posted

Better than most insults

Posted

Just as bad as 'Thats Gay', but it depends on context ie between friends or to a complete stranger.

Posted

I didn't used to really be against it, but this year I have had teachers with special needs children, and it is very hurtful to both them and their families.

Posted

I used it until I befriended the Special Ed kids who rode on my bus to school. They quickly became some of my best friends.

Posted

Don't think there's anything wrong with it. Heck everyone at my school uses it. Same with the word gay. I really don't see it as offencive unless they gay as in homosexual, but if they say gay as in replacing the word stupid is just fine in my book.

Posted (edited)

Don't think there's anything wrong with it. Heck everyone at my school uses it. Same with the word gay.

Yeah, because if everyone does it that makes it right. Like how in 1930's Germany everyone was doing their Nazi thang. Essentially it's the same as pogs in the 90's.

I really don't see it as offencive unless they gay as in homosexual, but if they say gay as in replacing the word stupid is just fine in my book.

It's not about who you call what, it's about the context. You can call a gay person gay without offending them if you aren't using it as an insult. 'Retard' is different though. What if I walked around and started replacing 'retarded' with 'nigger?'

"That's nigger."

"You're so puppying nigger," or something like, "Stop acting like such a nigger."

Once you get past how silly that sounds (because it's not an adjective) it's actually pretty offensive and would probably make a lot of people uncomfortable.

To be honest, I catch myself saying 'gay' or 'retarded' occasionally. I try to be self-conscious about it. It's just hard to avoid picking things up when everyone else around you is doing it. That doesn't mean you have to be a sponge, though.

Edited by Chameleon (see edit history)

Posted

I personally never say either gay or retard/ed as insults (Sometimes retard will slip out, though) I don't think it's as bad as gay, because the homosexual community is much larger than the special needs community, but either way, it's offensive. Chameleon's example is a good one, btw. He can say stuff better than I can, just look at his post...

Posted

Like how in 1930's Germany everyone was doing their Nazi thang.

Thats because of they didnt, the SS would show up at their doorstep.

Posted

Thats because of they didnt, the SS would show up at their doorstep.

Not everyone did it unwillingly.

Even the ones who resisted got brainwashed into doing horrible things. They made soap out of the fat of dead prisoners and canvases out of their skin. Even if they were going to be shot for not complying, the guy doing the shooting had to be convinced as well. It keeps going on like that, and eventually comes down to a small minority of people driving these horrible events. The majority could have easily stood up and resisted, but the few preyed on the weaknesses of the many. Weaknesses such as horrible logic; i.e. "Everyone else is doing it so it's okay."

Posted

I never used those words [as insults]. I don't plan on doing so either.