Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Umiyami typing assistant

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Typingtutorial.png

This was something I used to use when I was still learning Japanese that I came across a while ago, and I thought it'd be beneficial to anyone learning the language as well. It's kind of like those programs that measure your WPM. It doesn't do that necessarily, but it helps you type in Japanese more accurately, as well as read it. What's good about it, too, is that you don't need to have kana input installed in your computer to use it, since it accepts English.

What it does is basically gives you lines (given in both kanji and kana), and you're given a minute to type as many lines as you can (if you can make at least partial sense out of the sentences, they're based on Yu-Gi-Oh!. Remember I said I used this when I was still learning some six or seven years ago, and that's when I was fanning over the series). It keeps count of all the characters you type in correctly, as well as your mistakes. Just fill out the options based on the screenshot I took for better usage (I don't really like the readings on the left column; that's why I chose the ones on the right except for "ji").

If you don't know a single character of hiragana, then select the option I marked as "for romaji". It'll display in the text bar where the kana is as English characters. If you're more familiar with hiragana, then just keep the option "for hiragana". Also, select/deselect "for key guide" to toggle the on-screen keyboard guide. When it's on, it highlights which key(s) to press for that specific character. If you're looking for more of a challenge, try turning it off and see how much you can do based on memory.

Umiyami Typing Assistant

Edited by SirJoshizzle (see edit history)

Posted

"Oceandarkness" typing assistant?

Wut?