I am so happy right now!

381 posts in this topic

Posted

Christianity is and always was built upon hypocrisy. It's nothing new, don't be surprised now. I mean, Jesus was all "Just be cool to each other, the old covenant (rules of the old testament) is over." and then Paul came to the party and said "Let's honor our Lord and Savior by observing all those rules he told us not too. Except not all the rules, just the ones I agree with." So yeah, Jesus was really cool but Paul and everyone else just brought a big bag of dicks to the party. Not very chill at all.

Actually one of my friends studies religion both as part of her education and faith. I guess there isn't much information about Jesus outside of the Gospels. Most theologians believe he was real, but I mean, who would even care to write something down back then unless it was important? Recording text wasn't easy and how could they even know Jesus would blow up until he at least started his preaching. Which he didn't until around his 30th birthday. Basically we have stories of kid Jesus and adult Jesus, but not not teen Jesus or 20' something Jesus. So we simply have no idea where he was at those times. A somewhat popular belief among theologians is that Jesus possibly went to the far east and learned many religious and theological ideas from them. I mean, his ideas and practices were nothing like the current Jews, or any western religions at the time in that area. It's like he studied different faiths and took parts of them and repackaged them for the Jewish people. His practical teachings were much more about "Be good to others and be content with yourself" as opposed to "follow all these rules and God might smile upon you." Except then Paul, his most influential apostle (WHO NEVER EVEN MET JESUS WHEN HE WAS ALIVE) evangelized his version of Christianity, and it was much less radical and easier for the people of that time and era to swallow.

It's just a theory but it makes a lot of sense to me, at least as an average dude who isn't a theologian but still knows a bit about Christianity. 

Posted

I did Easter in Greece this year, and it was a proper event compared to over here in Scotland. I can't think of any traditions we have here apart from people just going to church. It's Greek Orthodox in Greece mainly, whatever that is. But in this village we stayed near on Easter weekend, they did this thing where they had a box which contains Jesus's body, and they do a procession around the village with singing and lots of people holding candles. The procession went into the streets and rounded back toward the church. A lot of chanting and singing and stuff. I didn't know what was being said during the spoken parts but apparently it was normal mass stuff like "Why aren't you at church more often? it's just not right." It was cool though. My brother, who's lived in Greece for a number of years now, says that Jesus's body is like Santa, "Don't tell the kids Jesus isn't actually in there!"

But yeah, as far as Easter traditions go, chocolate eggs and rolling boiled eggs down hills is about as much as I know. They also had this Easter game in Greece which was basically like christmas crackers. You had a bunch of re-painted boiled eggs, and you had to hit the egg together with the person next to you, and whoever's egg broke the least wins. That's about as much as I recall, apart from lots of food.

Posted

Christianity is and always was built upon hypocrisy. It's nothing new, don't be surprised now. I mean, Jesus was all "Just be cool to each other, the old covenant (rules of the old testament) is over.

Jesus- (Matthew 5)  "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. So if you ignore the least commandment and teach others to do the same, you will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But anyone who obeys God's laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven."

Paul-

Romans 3:31 - Do we then make void the Law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

Romans 7:12 - Therefore the Law [is] holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

2Tim 3:16 - All Scripture [is] given by inspiration of Yahweh, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,17 that the man of Yahweh may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 

Posted (edited)

2Tim 3:16 - All Scripture [is] given by inspiration of Yahweh, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,17 that the man of Yahweh may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. 

I sincerely cannot buy into this idea that the Biblical Canon is inspired by God 100% (even if I believed in the Christian God) because there are SO MANY books pertaining to the Bible that aren't considered canon. Both old and new testament. Like, who got to decide which texts are to be included and which are to be omitted? A group of humans, no doubt.

oh but your other stuff might hold weight from certain perspectives idk

Also, religous Law is just not a good thing imo. It always gave me the feeling that God had a generic cookie cutter plan for each person which is ultimately the same plan. Follow my rules. It kinda takes the "personal" out of a personal lord and savior. 

Edited by PizzaGirl 420 (see edit history)

Posted

Ultimately, yes, the bible was written by humans. That does not take away from its credit. Every book or works collected in the world were written by humans. The authors claimed to be divine inspired. If you'll notice, the authors are all apostles, or the books are about Jesus or the apostles, as far as the New Testament goes. The Old Testament was written long before the new. Many prophesies of the past were fulfilled by Jesus.

We are made in the image of God. If by cookie cutter you mean God is teaching us to be more like him, then yes. Christ is our example. He's who we all should emulate. We are too concerned with ourselves. We're selfish. Worried about losing our individuality. We should be worried about pleasing God, because he is worthy of praise and thanks. He deserves it. We do not.

The apostles were not cookie cutter. Moses, David, Solomon, Noah, Job, etc were not cookie cutter. They all had individual talents that were used for God's purposes.

Posted

sounds fun

Posted

Jesus- (Matthew 5)  "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. So if you ignore the least commandment and teach others to do the same, you will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But anyone who obeys God's laws and teaches them will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven."

Paul-

Romans 3:31 - Do we then make void the Law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

Romans 7:12 - Therefore the Law [is] holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

Well of course the gospel of Matthew is going to condone the law, it's a gospel made to sympathize with the Jewis people who wanted to convert but were put off by the radical reforms of Jesus. Same thing with Timothy there, why else would they be calling him Yahweh instead of God? It's a passage to prevent alienating potential Jewish converts. And yeah, it goes without saying that a letter to the Romans is gonna put emphasis on assuring them Christians are gonna follow the law.

I think you have to remember that context is very important here. As good Christians we have to study our book in its context without quoting passages with hasty authority.

Pizzza likes this

Posted

There's this satirical book whose name has escaped me now, and over the course of story Jesus and his friend adventure in Asia, eventually reaching Japan. He uses a style of martial arts that turns peoples agression back at them. The locals name it after them, The Way of the Jew, or Judo. Always thought that was funny.

Also this is probably not the place for this discussion, though its probably one worth having if someone cares to make a religious debate megathread. Or not, could be a messy thing.

Pizzza likes this

Posted

sigh sigh sigh sigh SIGH

S

I

G

H

Posted

*sigh* ... boys ...

Posted

Love me like it's Prom Night, Ben. I want you hold me like it's the first time.

... syob ... *hgis*

Posted

the first time what

Pizzza likes this

Posted

My skin has cleared up a lot. Even the faint scars that I had. I never had terrible acne on my face it was just like always lingering. I discovered that I touch my jaw and mouth area when I sleep. I sleep in like a "the thinker" pose, so that explains a lot. I haven't been shaving much so I think the oils or whatever are helping my skin heal. And the fact that I don't have to horribly irritate dry out my face by shaving a lot.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

This thread got weird