Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bands/Songs/Music in General I Should Check Out!

16 posts in this topic

Posted

All right, so I've recently been trying to broaden my musical intake beyond the stuff I normally listen to, which tends to be extremely selective. I recently started using Pandora, but I also want some opinons from people.

As of now I listen mainly to geekish kinds of things. Jonathan Coulton, Paul and Storm, They Might Be Giants, etc. Kind of weird things interest me. Weird and geeky without being over-the-top and maintaining musical proficiency. I also really enjoy dynamic classical things, but a lot of vintage, authentic, "real" classical that actually comes from the Classical Period tends to be- to put it blatantly- boring. That's your Mozarts, your Bachs, your Beethovens, your Handels. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of the pieces out of that time period, but the vast majority seem unmelodic, as period classical should be. So modern classical, with more of its focus on melody for our dumbed-down generation, is more my style in that genre. But for the most part, right now I'm looking for bands. I've already been told to check out Barenaked Ladies, so I guess I'l do that soon.

Energetic music is pretty close to a portion of my taste, which is why I've been giving some ska a listen (when I say "ska" I mean third wave ska/ska punk), but a lot of ska tends to not be happy-themed music. It's a shame, because the way it employs a brass section and emphasizes the offbeat just makes it wonderful. If anyone knows a band that fuses ska with happiness or optimism, I will love them forever. Optimism is good for any song.

In general, I'm pretty open when it comes to genre; I'm really more interested in a song's content than what label someone decided to put it under.

If someone knows a good band that skillfully utilizes a violin, I would be grateful.

Also, I ask that it not be mainstream. I have a tendency to like things better when they aren't a fad or when everyone else isn't obsessed with them as well. Obscurity helps. But if you think there's a popular band I should try out, I'm game.

So, what are your favorite bands or songs or genres? Actually, they don't necessarily have to be your favorites, but what do you think someone with my taste would be into? Go ahead and drop a name as well as, if you can, a song or two of theirs that you think epitomizes what they're all about.

THANKYA!

ESPECAILLY IF YOU ACTUALLY INTEND TO HELP ME OUT!

Posted (edited)

The embedding might piss you off, but I'm pretty sure you won't mind. To be honest, I sort of skimmed, and saw "violin" and "not mainstream." I also saw that you don't want things that are too classical, like Mozart or such. Some of the music I'm about to embed is going to follow a classic style, but it's fun. Definitely different from Mozart or Beethoven. Hope you like it.

If energetic and upbeat music strikes your fancy, you'll definitely love this song:

The Vitamin String Quartet - Headstrong

3 Doors Down - Landing In London (All I Think About Is You)

Sting - Fields Of Gold

Also, just because I feel like posting it:

Edited by Chef Nonsense (see edit history)

Posted

Need happier ska?

Reel Big Fish is fairly famous for ska, but I'd say their covers are better than their originals.

Take On Me, We Hate it when Our Friends Become Successful, Hungry Like the Wolf, etc.

The Aquabats are also apparently pretty good.

I don't listen to many things with violins in them, though. I do appreciate classic music, though.

You could check out songstowearpantsto.com.

They take suggestions on what to make songs out of, then do them.

I don't think they're too good of a group soundwise.

jas;dkfjskl;adj Anyway, I don't really have many suggestions.

I listen to more alternative rock type things. Whether it's energetic or not depends...

Shouldn't this be in Entertainment Zone?

Sahaqiel

Posted

Because what cave man hotlinks anymore? That is just so 2008.

As for me, you should know the drill since we go so far back, Ganny. Wonder Girls, So Nyeo Shi Dae, BoA, Utada Hikaru, Hirai Ken, Kim Dong Wan, m-flo, etc. It's all on my imeem.

And yes, Saha. Why don't you do your job and move it already? You'd think a forum mod would know where topics belong. Even I know this belongs in Entertainment, but I totally was never a forum mod before.

Posted

Ooh, a music topic. I'll provide a list of good music.

Andrew Bird - Scythian Empires

Radiohead - Idioteque

Of Montreal - Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games

Phoenix - Everything is Everything

Five Iron Frenzy - All That is Good

The Hives - Main Offender

Hot Hot Heat - Middle of Nowhere

Switchfoot - This is Your Life

Just a short list to get you started and present some options, mostly rock or alternative, with a bit of pop punk and ska thrown in. Tell me what you like and I'll present more.

Posted

The Aquabats

THANK YOU! completely forgot that bands name and have trying to remember who it was for aaaaaages.

Also G333, I recommend for you : Last.Fm

you type in an artist you like, and it'll give you many similar artists.. Or even better, you join, and add all the artists you like to your library and it will recomend similar artists for you. Every artist page has a good deal of info on them as well as sample tracks. Great way to find music IMO.

All of a sudden that lithuanian electronic pop band with death metal lyrics isnt so uncommon.

Posted (edited)

Heh. I was just about to suggest that band. (Shadowknight got me into 'em, in fact. I've been meaning to thank him for it, so this as good of a time as any. Thanks Shadow! :D)

If you want happy, energetic, fun music, you may want Hellogoodbye. (They're somewhat popularish, maybe. A lot of people have heard this one song by them but none of the others.) Here's a few you may want to listen to first get a feel for their music: "Stuck to you", "All Time Lows", and "Touchdown Turnaround". CD-wise, you want their first CD titled Hellogoodbye, and their main CD Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!

Another one you may like is Loreena McKennit. (I'm not sure if I spelled that right. Just look for "The Mummers Dance".) It's kind of violiny celcticish....

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now. I'll post some more when I get back home. (We stopped at my grandparents' house for the night on

the way back from Canada.) I hope you like it. :)

Edited by Arcanelord (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Dude, I totally found an obscure band that sounds great.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="385">

Edited by Sahaqiel (see edit history)

Posted

I believe your embedding code is a bit off.

Posted (edited)

Hm... Well, from my personal experience with my own music... I would say Skillet is one good choice, along with Red. But those are harder rock, although some of the songs implement piano and violin (and I think even orchestra with Red) in really well.

Just about everything I listen to would be obscure to people here... >>;

This would be a Skillet song I'm listening to right now. :D

Edited by Stormsworder (see edit history)

Posted

I recommend some classic bands such as Boston, Journey, The Bee Gees, AC/DC, Alan Parsons Project, Sabbath, BOC (Blue

Posted

Good call, Shadowknight.

The Hives are really good.

Sahaqiel

Posted (edited)

Skillet is cool.

Some other good bands: Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, The Subways, The White Stripes, Franz Ferdinand, The Von Bondies. All kind of grungy, and all great.

I'll be back with some more song links soon. I'm on my phone, and that's the only reason I didn't link in this post.

EDIT: Here we are, a list I posted in another topic.

I return with another list of some examples of good bands. Ready? Here we go:

The Strokes - Electricityscape

The Subways - I Want to Hear What You've Got to Say

The Von Bondies - C'mon C'mon

The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army

Phoenix - Long Distance Call

Edited by shadowknight (see edit history)