Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wedding portrait

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Tidus_x_Yuna__Wedding_portrait_by_SirJoshizzle.png

I'd wear a cactuar-print hakama to my wedding. :]

This is the result of finishing Final Fantasy X for the billionth time (my favorite in the series--forget VII, but I love that too!), and I think my most decent piece I've done in a long while.

Designing Yuna's kimono was pretty hard, since she by default wears a furisode which is damn well designed already, AND she's worn a wedding dress before (damn you Nomura!). I wanted it to retain some of her original design elements, so I kept her earring, of course. The uchikake is printed with her staff's head, which makes it look quite a bit white mage-like in my opinion (which she is, anyway). The hem keeps the hibiscus print of her furisode.

Tidus' hakama, despite being far simpler in design, was actually more challenging to draw for me, since I already suck at male anatomy (and it shows just by looking at him), and his outfit is pretty bulky. The cactuar print was thrown in as a throwback to Final Fantasy, even though I'll admit it kills some of the formality his hakama carries. The mon on a groom's haori is reflective of his family crest: in Tidus' case, it's his Zanarkand Abes logo (and it dangles from his fan as well). Other than that, incorporating his original design elements in was pretty hard. I was thinking of trying to fit the Brotherhood in, but I thought the cactuar was more suitable for comic relief, and I'm a guy that likes to laugh.

Oh, and even though it's pretty uncustomary for Japanese to smile in their wedding photo, I thought since it's Tidus and Yuna, them not smiling is unheard of and therefore put it in. I tried serious faces; it didn't look good anyway.

Posted

Very nice. I love the detail. The faces are pretty simple, but it doesn't really take away from it too bad.

Posted

Here's an outlined version.

WiP__Tidus_Yuna__Wedding_Port__by_SirJoshizzle.png

Yuna is relatively unchanged. I did a lot of touching up on Tidus, though, since there was so much wrong with him. I slimmed him down and raised up his shoulders a bit so that his body looks a little more natural, and the design on his pants is a little different too. Even if the anatomy is still a little bit off, it looks a lot better than it did in the sketch, and that's all I was looking for.

Colored version coming up sometime later, after I get some sleep.

Posted

Tidus_x_Yuna__Wedding_portrait_by_SirJoshizzle.png

I'm generally happy with how it turned out. I tend to ruin things when I color them, and I can point out a few things about this that I'm not particularly settled with but won't mention because I'm that much of an obsessive compulsive perfectionist. I will say that most of it is in the Tidus region, though.