Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I'm doing a recolor

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok, so someone on dA asked if I could recolor this:

j7x179-1.png

to be Red Link. I could do this, but I'd need to make a non-textured one first. With that said, how would I apply the texture seen here to an image, and because I'd need to re-apply the texture, do you think I could still get away with ripping the lineart? (It is only a recolor, after all.)

Oh, and the picture I'm actually recoloring is much bigger and less blurry.

Posted

Im not a pro at photoshop but you could try removing (desaturating) the colours from the parts you want to re-colour, and then painting them red. AFAIK that would keep the textures?

Posted

I'm rather n00bish as well, hence the reason I'm asking this question, but I'll try that and see if it keeps the texture.

Posted

If I was home I'd do it for you...

But anyways heres the easy-peasy fail safe way to do it; put the picture in Photoshop.

Keep the background transparent.

Adjust saturation, hue, light/dark to create a perfect red color, and voila.

Rinse and repeat with the other sections (make sure you write down or remember the number combination for the best effect).

Thus you have a red link with the textures in tact.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, there's a real easy way to make that red without removing textures... Must say, could've picked a better render though.

What Kaseixjaa above me said works well.

Edited by Vio Milanor (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

EDIT: Double post, please delete.

Posted

If I was home I'd do it for you...

But anyways heres the easy-peasy fail safe way to do it; put the picture in Photoshop.

Keep the background transparent.

Adjust saturation, hue, light/dark to create a perfect red color, and voila.

Rinse and repeat with the other sections (make sure you write down or remember the number combination for the best effect).

Thus you have a red link with the textures in tact.

won't that mess with the color of his skin, though?

@Via Milanor:

Oh, and the picture I'm actually recoloring is much bigger and less blurry.

^^^ I'm using a render that is much clearer, unless you weren't talking about the blurriness. XD

Posted

won't that mess with the color of his skin, though?

No, that's why you use the lasso tool. You only highlight the clothes, then alter the colors.

Posted (edited)

It's a fairly simple process. c: Here's what I came up with... As Kase instructed, using the lasso tool, I selected only the blue of Link's tunic and the gem on the sword (Which also corrosponds to the color of the Link). Of course, I did make the background transparent beforehand. I proceeded to alter the hue/saturation and came up with this. Very quick process. I could have done better but, it does look decent in my opinion.

If you're lazy or if you think my creation is so amazing. Feel free to cut the work off of you and take this. I probably wouldn't ask for anything except some karma. c: Whoo. Karmaaaa~

EDIT: Uh oh, gotta wait a bit longer. I just noticed the the belt buckle has to be changed as well. Accidentally didn't unselect the belt buckle, after uploading it to photobucket. I noticed that it was blue. Personally, I'm disliking that the rupee is also red.

z09_17_bi.png

Posted

It's a fairly simple process. c: Here's what I came up with... As Kase instructed, using the lasso tool, I selected only the blue of Link's tunic and the gem on the sword (Which also corrosponds to the color of the Link). Of course, I did make the background transparent beforehand. I proceeded to alter the hue/saturation and came up with this. Very quick process. I could have done better but, it does look decent in my opinion.

If you're lazy or if you think my creation is so amazing. Feel free to cut the work off of you and take this. I probably wouldn't ask for anything except some karma. c: Whoo. Karmaaaa~

EDIT: Uh oh, gotta wait a bit longer. I just noticed the the belt buckle has to be changed as well. Accidentally didn't unselect the belt buckle, after uploading it to photobucket. I noticed that it was blue. Personally, I'm disliking that the rupee is also red.

Although I'm not taking the picture, as I'd like to attempt this myself in case I wish to do this again in the future, I'll give you the karma anyway. And I can't forget about Zuzu and Kase for their help as well. =D

Then i'll change the rupee to gold. Yay for 200 rupee rupees! |D

And I finished. Don't comment on the cyan-colored rupee, I did that on purpose because he's hax :U (And because the requester asked it just a short while ago. Don't know why, though. o.O Quite a weird color for a rupee. I think it looks cool, though. XD)

RedRupeeLink.png

Posted

I love it. Looks really cool.

Posted

That's badass... Loving the rupee.

Posted

Cyan <3

Posted

Yours came out better than mine. >:C

Of course, I was being lazy with it. I simply wanted to exhibit what was possible through Kase's steps. c: It's great that you did it on your own.