Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

PS3 Slim announced at GC 09!

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

3833593107_579fa1b592.jpg

The PS3 Slim was announced today at gamescom09 by the President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, Kazuo Hirai. This slimmer model has been loosely rumored about for the past few months, and now Sony is making it a reality.

The biggest surprise of all? It will hit shelves with 120GB of memory for only $299. Let's hear the Xbox fanboys scream "overpriced console" now.

The Slim PS3 will have all the features of the current PS3 models (Still no backwards compatibility :( ) and will be:

32% smaller, 36% lighter, and has 34% less power consumption than the current PS3 models. Look for this sleek new PS3 to hit shelves September 1st.

Sources:

gametrailers.com

Playstation.blog

Edited by Lionheart (see edit history)

Posted

HOLY.

FREAKING.

YES.

Posted

Oh wow, I might get one in that case.

Posted

I can't help but think that no one ever visits this part of the forum. I thought this would be bigger news :cry: haha.

Posted

Hm... in that case, I might actually buy this. =D I've never owned a PS console, so now can be my chance (and at a price like that, too! =O =D)

Backwards compatibility? ... I'm not sure what that means, exactly. ^^;; It can play PS & PS2 games... right?

Posted

Why does it cost more in Europe. As well as in Japan, even if here it's just a little bit more. Note: It's about $431 in Europe and $311 in Japan.

???

Posted

Eka: It is able to play PSone games, but it will not play PS2 games. That's what I meant by no backwards compatibility.

Fierce Muffin: Yeah I was wondering that too :/ I guess they were going for the "299" thing across the board.

Posted

I may buy one if it has backwards compatibility, but until that time no thank you ;-)

Posted

Eka: It is able to play PSone games, but it will not play PS2 games. That's what I meant by no backwards compatibility.

Fierce Muffin: Yeah I was wondering that too :/ I guess they were going for the "299" thing across the board.

Ah, I see. So... the only older games it can play are PS1 games? ... I find that awfully ridiculous. I think I'll skip out on this one, unless they decide to change it. (I know more awesome PS2 games than PS1 games anyways. =P)