Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flight Plan: A Cade Foster Mystery

13 posts in this topic

Posted

**Note**

My last two Cade Foster Stories didn't go anywhere, I hope to change that with this one

Chapter One: Conference in Miami

Cade saved his work and switched of his computer. "Hey you're gonna be late Foster!" Mallone said scowling before storming away. "What's wrong with?" Foster asked, turning to Rhodes. "He wanted to go to the DEA confrence and he's pissed that you get to go." she said grinning. "I need this Rhodes...we need this." he said looking at his family portrait on his desk. "April hates being cooped up, she's used to traveling all over the world." Foster said. "Shouldn't her Maternity leave be over, Amanda's almost ready for pre-school?" Rhodes said. "It's not that easy." Foster said. "Amanda's starting to show already, that means she'll need to go to an OSP sanctioned school where her abilities will be nurtured." Foster said. "You already pick a sitter for her?" Rhodes asked. "Yeah April's little sister will watch her but I was kinda hoping that you'd..." "Look in on her while you're away, sure." Rhodes said. Foster looked at his watch. "Damn I'm gonna be late, thank god I packed this morningl"

The shuttlebus pulled up to the curb, Foster stepped out and placed his bags in a luggage cart. "Cade!" April shouted waving him over. "You're late!" she said shaking his head. "Sorry babe, it took forever at the Parking garage!" Foster said kissing her. "You ready for Miami?" he said grinning. "Are you kidding, I've been dreaming of it." April said. "To tell you the truth I just arrived too, I was shopping." she added. "Oh you give me crap because of a genuine problem and you're off buying stuff." Foster said. "Hey I bought some much needed stuff!" April said. "Including a new Bikini." she said playfully. "Oh how nice, can't wait!" he said putting his hand on her hip.

Foster put his bag on the X-Ray machine as it went through he sighed. "Remove any metal objects and step through sir." the TSA agent said. Foster put his keys and cellphone on a tray and stepped through. A blaring claxon rang out. "Oh sorry he said removing his gun. "Oh it's ok, I'm a cop." he said dropping his badge in. "You brought your gun Cade!" April said. "It's a Police Confrence hon." he said walking through the detector again. "Nice piece, Sig Sauer P226?" The Airport cop asked. "Yeah, gift from my wife for our two year anniversary." Foster said nodding to April. "Lucky all Igot from my wife was a divorce." Foster smiled and tapped the guy on the sholder. "Don't worry Carter." he said. "You'll find your soulmate in...a red hat." Foster said, placing his hand to his head. "What're you a psychic or something?" Carter asked. "Yes actually, I am." Foster said as April walked over to him.

"Final boarding for Vista Airlines flight 210, nonstop from Cascade Washington to Miami Florida." a voice announced over the PA system. "That's us." April said happily. "Jeez you're as giddy as a schoolgirl." Foster said. "You wont be saying that when you see the Bikini!" April said squeezing his arm. As she did so, a feeling trembled through Foster's body, a deep anger and sadness. "Did you feel that?" he asked April. "No what?" She asked back. "It was nothing I guess, just empathing someone's jitters I guess." he said handing the Ticket Agent his ticket. "Thanks for flying Vista Airlines." she said.

Posted

Chapter Two: The Uneventful Takeoff

Cade and April walkhed past the Flight Attendant and reached their seats. "Oh I love First Class!" April said sliding into her plush seat. "It's sure is something." Cade said reclining back. As Cade closed his eyes a passing passenger bumped his arm. "Please god forgive me!" a paniced voice shouted. "What?" Cade asked turning to April. "I didn't say anything."

"Welcome to Vista Airlines, this is Rex Mason and I'll be your Captain today. We have agood tailwind so we should make it to Miami in good time." Cade and April looked out the window as the plane took off, the ground getting farther away as it climbed. "Can I get you anything?" A Flight Attendant asked. "Oh I'll have some Champagne please." April said. "And you sir?" she asked Cade. "Diet Pepsi?" "Coming right up." she said touching his arm. As she did, a quake of emotion rippled through him. "Our father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done."

Cade bobbed in agony as he snapped back. "What happened Cade?" April asked. "You zoned out for two minutes." she added. "That Stewardess, she's gonna die!" he said. "How?" April asked. "I'm not sure, I saw her on her knees reciting the Lord's prayer, then nothing." "Maybe it was just her nerves empathing you?" April asked. "I don't know, maybe but earlier someone bumped me and I heard someone asking God's forgiveness." Cade shut up as the Flight Attendant walked over. "Here's your drinks." she said handing April her Champagne and Cade his Pepsi. "So how long have you been a Flight Attendant?" April asked. "Five years next month, why?" she asked. "Oh no reason, just curious." April said smiling. "Oh ok, if you need anything else, just ring." she said walking away. "Five years of flying, it wasn't nerves." Foster said. "I don't think it was her, the only thing she was thinking about was you!" April said. You feel that" Cade asked. "No I sww her flirting with you, touching your arm and sticking her chest in your face as she handed me my drink!" "Really, I didn't even notice." Foster said. "And that is why I love you!" April said kissing him.

Posted

Err, what is this, exactly?

Sahaqiel

Posted

Err, what is this, exactly?

Sahaqiel

It's the third in a series of Cade Foster Mysteries.

Cade Foster is a Psychic cop who works for the Cascade Washington Police Department. In "Flight Plan" while on his way to a joint DEA/Police confrence in Miami Foster has a vision that the plane he's on will crash while landing killing everyone on board.

Posted

Well, one, you post a lot of them in quick succession it seems to me. Two, I don't read them because you don't make a new paragraph every time someone new starts to speak, so it causes more confusion than entertainment when I try to figure out who is talking...

Posted

It's really good so far. If you could separate speakers with spacing, it would be much more enjoyable, like Stormsworder said.

Posted (edited)

Chapter Three: Six hours!

Foster tried to relax, but every time he closed his eyes he saw flames, smoke and heard screaming. "It still bothering you Cade?" April asked

"Yeah I just can't shake this feeling, you're not sensing anything?" He asked her.

"No, I wonder why you can and I can't. I've always been a better empath then you." April said

"I'm gonna stretch my legs, don't want to develop a clot." Cade said grinning.

Cade stood up and moved down the isle. As he did he could feel a strange nagging sensation, like a whispering voice in a dark cave. Cade walked through the curtain and into the Coach section. As he stepped he heard a strange squeak at his feet, looking down he saw a stuffed animal, a purple dinosaur.

"What do we have here?" he asked picking it up.

As he held it, he could see a little girl hugging, laughing and playing with it. He looked up and saw the girl, she was crying and her mother wad doing her best to console her.

Seeing the girl made Foster miss his little Amanda, so he put the dinosaur behind his back and walked over.

"Hello there, what's wrong sweetie?" he asked.

"She lost her stuffed animal, a purple dinosaur named Denver." the mother said.

"That's interesting because I just found a purple dinosaur, and he told me his name was Denver."

Foster produced the toy and smiled as the girl's face lit up.

"Oh thank you so much, I thought she lost it." the mother said.

"Yeah my daughter would scream if she lost her bunny, Hop along Cassidy." Foster said.

"What do you say Emily?" the woman asked her daughter.

"Thank you." Emily said looking up.

As she did Foster took a step back. Emily's face was black and covered with blood, her blonde hair was now singed and smoldering.

"Excuse me please, ladies." he said backing away.

Foster walked to the bathroom and opened the door. Closing the door behind him he locked it.

"Get a grip Foster!" he said looking in the mirror. He turned on the faucet and covered his hands with water, bringing them up he splashed them in his face.

Wiping the water away he caught his reflection in the mirror, just as with Emily he looked horribly burned. Foster closed his eyes and when he opened them his reflection was normal.

As Foster made his way to his seat, April was talking on thr Skyphone. "Oh here he is." She said handing him the phone.

"Who is it babe?" he asked her.

"It's Amanda, she wanted to say goodnight before bed."

"Oh." Fosted said placing the phone to his ear.

"Hey spunky, how you doing?" he asked.

"Good, daddy flying?" Amanda asked.

"Yeah Pumpkin Daddy's flying, is Auntie Beth fun?" he asked.

"Yeah she made Creeps for dinner daddy." Amanda said.

"Creeps...oh I think you mean Creaps, baby." Foster said smirking.

Foster sighed as he heard Amanda yawn.

"Hey honey put your Aunt Beth on." he said.

"Hey hows the Flight?" Beth asked.

"Calm and uneventful, how's everything there?" Foster asked.

"We got a visit from Officer Rhodes a while ago, something I should know?" Beth asked.

"No just asked her to stop by in case you needed a break, Amanda's a lot to handle sometimes." Foster said.

"I see what you mean, she's tugging on my leg hold on, What honey?" Beth asked Amanda.

"Amanda wanted me to tell you "Six Hours" Does that mean anything?" Beth asked.

"Not to my knowledge." Foster said.

"I think it's time for Spunky to go beddy bye bye." Foster said.

"I think you're right, tell April I'll call her later, bye." Beth said hanging up the phone.

"She putting Amanda down?" April asked.

"Yeah, she was talking strangly." Foster said.

Foster sat back and closed his eyes. "Good evening folks, this is Captain Rex once again. I'm happy to report that our path across these United States is clear and we'll make it to Miami in Six hours."

Foster felt as if his whole body fell away. Six hours... that's what Amanda had said.

Foster looked around as the Whispering Cave feeling returned. But unlike before it's voice was clear as day. "In Six hours we all die!" it screamed.

"Cade you are as white as a sheet, are you not feeling well?" April asked.

"It's not that!" He said sucking in shallow breaths.

"Someone's gonna crash this plane...in Six Hours we all die!"

Edited by Savanti Romero (see edit history)

Posted

This is reallly good. Keep it up.

Posted

Chapter Four: Mental Breakdown!

April looked around in shock. "What do you mean Cade?" she asked.

"The things I've been seeing, they point to a crash. And just now when the captain announced the arrival time, someone said they'd bring the plane down." Foster said.

"Did he say it or did he 'say' it?" April asked wiggling her fingers around her head.

"He 'said' it, but I know what I saw April, these weren't just fears and nerves these were imminent future bumps intruding on present time." Foster stood up.

"Cade where are you going?" she asked.

"I need to talk to the Flight Attendant, see the passenger manifest." he said.

Cade walked to the back of the plane, he breathed in calmly and tried to settle his nerves. It wasn't easy because for every passenger who bumped into him, Cade could see their fate.

"Can I help you sir?" The Flight Attendant from earlier whose nametag read Annie asked.

"Yes Annie." Foster said calmly and collected.

"My name is Cade Foster, I'm a member of The Cascade Police OSP division." he added.

"You're that Psychic cop who saved the President, aren't you?" she asked.

"Yes I am, I don't want to alarm anyone but..." Foster got really close and whispered.

"I believe someone onboard wants to crash the plane." he whispered

"What, what do you mean?" she asked.

"I've been getting preminitions all over this plane of Fire, pain and death and just five minutes ago I heard someone think something really frightening." Foster said

"who was it?" Annie asked.

"I'm not sure, there are too many people around to be positive...but I might have a way to be sure." Foster said

"What is it?" Annie asked.

"I need to look at the passenger manifest, I might be able to gleem who it is from it." he said

Annie handed him a clipboard with the manifest clipped to it. Running his hand across the page Foster landed on a name. "Eldon Hawkes, Row F, seat 15 coach." he read.

Foster with Annie at his heels walked to Coach, they found Eldon's seat empty.

"Excuse me Miss?" he asked the woman sitting behind him.

"Did you see the man sitting here?" he asked.

"Yes I did...he left about ten minutes but he hasn't come back yet." she said.

Foster ran his hands across the seat and was bombarded with feelings, smells, sounds and images. "There's something seriously wrong her Annie." he whispederd in her ear.

"We need to tell the Captain." Annie said.

Foster followed Annie to the roosterpit door and inside.

"Rex we have a problem." Annie said.

"This is that Psychic cop, the one who saved the President. he says that someone's gonna crash the plane." Annie added.

"Who?" Rex asked.

"The manifest reads Eldon Hawkes but now I'm not sure, As I scanned his seat another name bombarded me... Evan Markham." Foster said.

"I'll get on the horn and try to find any information on this Evan Markham." Rex said

"Cascade ATC this is Vista Airlines Flight 120, over." Rex said into the radio.

"Vista Air 120, what's the situation over?" The ATC operator asked.

"Request file on passenger, name Eldon Hawkes aka Evan Markham, over." Rex said.

"Vista 120 did you say Evan Markham, over?"

"Yes sir ATC, Evan Markham over."

"Switch it to cabin speakers Rex." Annie said.

Rex switched the radio from cans to the roosterpit speaker.

"Vista 120 his is ATC supervisor Hank Rawlins, are you positive that Evan Markham is on that flight?" he asked.

"I have a psychic cop on board and he is nodding yes ATC, who is this Markham over?" Rex asked.

"Evan Markham worked to ATC, he developed the Auto-Land program that we use." Rawlins said.

"About three years ago Evan lost his wife and daughter on Vista Flight 354, he blamed the airline and after obsessing for weeks was institutionalized, suffering from a severe mental breakdown." Rawlins said

"He broke out two months ago!" Rawlins added.

"Mr. Rawlins this is Detective Cade Foster, Cascade Police If someone with Evan's technical expertise wanted to crash this plane, where might he go?" Foster asked.

"Avionics bay, right below the roosterpit in the cargo hold." Rawlins said.

"I gotta go down there." Foster said.

"If he's got a deathwish and he's mentally unstable he won't think twice about crashing this plane." Foster said.

"Annie, show him the Auxiliary hatch it's in the back so you'll need to navigate the cargo area to get to him." Rex said.

Annie and Foster walked out and stopped when he saw April. "Give me a minute please Annie." he said.

"What's wrong Cade?" April asked.

"There is a passenger he's deranged and briliant and he wants to crash this plane."

"And you have to stop him, is that right?" April asked. "Cade Foster, the gallant hero bslloping into battle against killers, kidnappers and assassins." April said.

"That's who I am April, that's my job." he said.

"I know it is, but you have to take a break every once and a while Cade." she said.

"After this, I promise." he said kissing her on the cheek.

"It's over here." Annie said pointing to a seam in the wall. "Here use this screwdriver." she said handinb him an electric model.

"Try to keep calm Annie, the passengers might get wind of something and I need them calm." he said grinning.

"Ok I'll try, good luck officer." she said.

Cade grabbed a flashlight and ducked inside.

Posted

Hm... very interesting. Although you might want to be a bit more descriptive of his actions, maybe say what he's thinking... It's very well thought out, but you can't rely solely on a lot of dialogue all the time. You need to make it a good balance of descriptions and conversations.

Posted

Chapter Five: Not what it seems

Cade pulled himself through the small space and stood up straight. He looked around in the low light and made his way into the cargo hold. "It's really cramped in here!" he said to himself. As he walked Cade could hear a soft sobbing.

"Why's he crying, could he be having second thoughts?" Cade thought.

Cade crept closer and saw Evan standing near the plane's main computer, his laptop jacked in.

"Evan Markham, Step away from the Computer!" Cade shouted.

"What...who are you?" Evan asked.

"I'm Cade, a cop from Cascade I know what you're planning Evan." Cade shouted.

"I'm coming in, hands where I can see them." he added.

Evan held his hands up and moved away.

"No please go away, you'll ruin everything!" Evan shouted.

"Evan I'm sorry about your family." Cade said.

"My family...what do you know of my family." He asked.

"I know you blame the airline for the crash that took their lives, but that's no reason to kill everyone on this plane." Cade said.

"What crash?" Evan asked.

"My family's still alive." he added.

As evan spoke Cade was hit with his thoughts. Evan was walking from his office to his car wgen his cellphone rang, the caller id read "Helen" his wife.

"Hey you I was just gonna call." Evan said.

"Mr. Markham." an electronically altered voice spoke.

"We have your wife and daughter, do what we say and they will be fine."

Cade snapped back to the present.

"Oh I am so stupid!" Cade said holstering his weapon.

"What, what do you mean?" Evan asked.

"You're being used, you don't want to crash this thing do you?" Cade asked.

"No of course not I'm not a monster but they said they'd kill my family, if they haven't already."

"Do you have anything of personal significance to them, a ring or lock of hair?" Cade asked.

"Well my daughter gave me this pocketwatch for my birthday, why?" He asked.

Cade grabbed the watch and opened himself up.

"What are you doi...are you a psychic?" Evan asked.b

"Yes and please no talking, I'm trying to concentrate." Foster said.

Foster reached out and felt himself drifting back thousands of miles. As he centered on a location he saw a woman and a girl, sitting on a mattress, cuffed to the wall.

"They're alive, a little dirty but otherwise unharmed." he said.

"The voice told me to crash this plane or they would be killed." Evan said.

"Why this plane...I mean what's so special about...

Cade drifted back to the Flight Manifest and three names.

"Felix Manx, Hector Marquez and James Dobson." he said outloud.

"Who are they?" Evan asked.

"Well Manx and Dobson ase US Marshalls and Marquez is probably in WITSEC."

"What's that?" Evan asked.

"WITSEC, Witness Protection this is a hit!"

"They'll crash an entire plane, killing hundreds just for one man?" Evan asked.

"That's why money is called the route of all evil." Foster said.

"I wonder why Rawlins sold me that pack of lies though...unless he's involved!" Foster said.

"Is there a way the people who kidnapped your family could be tracking the plane?" Foster asked.

"They could be tracking the planes transponder, making sure I go through with it.

Evan said.

"Is their a way you could spoof the transponder, make them think you brought the plane down?" Foster asked.

"Yes but it'll take some time to hack into the transponder's firewall and disable the GPS." Evan said

"Do it Evan, I gotta make a call." Foster said

"But they could be monitoring the airphones." Evan said.

"I never said anything about using the phone." Foster said closing his eyes.

Foster reached out across the country, back to Cascade and centered on his daughter.

"Amanda." he said softly.

Amanda Foster sat up in bed. "Daddy where are you?" she asked.

"I need you to be a big girl and do something for me, it's very important."

Amanda smiled and nodded. "Ok daddy." she said.

Posted

A couple of spelling and grammar errors... such as using "route" instead of "root", which would be the proper word for it (route is a path, root is, well... root), missing commas in some places... of course, it's all the finer points of grammar and stuff. An English major is sometimes not too good of a critique... XD

Posted

Chapter Six: The plan comes together

Amanda walked out of her room and into the living room. She picked up the phone and pressed the button labeled "Rhodes".

In the offices of the Cascade Police Department, Amanda Rhodes sat at her desk, filling out incident reports and sipping her coffee, black just the way she liked it. As she got up to stretch her phone rang.

"Cascade Police, Detective Rhodes speaking." she said

"Auntie Amanda?" Young Amanda asked.

"Hey kiddo, it's late shouldn't you be in bed?" Rhodes asked

Amanda closed her eyes trying to remember everything her father told her.

"Daddy's in trouble." She said.

Rhodes looked at the phone. "What do you mean honey?" Rhodes asked.

"Daddy say's that someone wants to crash the plane." Amanda said.

"You talked to your daddy?" Rhodes asked

"Not on the phone, I heard him in my head." Amanda said.

Rhodes though for a minute and remembered Foster's words from earlier. "Amanda's starting to show already."

Rhodes stood up and waved for Mallone to come over. "Hold on sweetie, I'm gonna put you on speaker phone." Rhodes said switching to the speaker.

"What's wrong Amanda?" Mallone asked walking over.

"Foster used his...you know to call his daughter, he says someone's gonna crash the plane he's on."

Amanda Foster tapped her foot trying to remember what she was told. "Daddy wants you to put a BOLO out on Hank Rawlins, he's a ATC with Vista Air. He may or may not be connected with the kidnapping of Helen and Joy Markham."

"Who are Helen and Joy Markham?" Rhodes and Mallone asked simultaneously.

"oh right, they are the wife and daughter of Evan the guy being blackmailed to crash daddy's plane."

Mallone called over another detective, named Franks.

"Yeah boss?" Jim Franks asked.

"Jimmy get an adress for an Evan and Helen Markham, they might live here in Cascade go check out the place but be careful their might be eyes on the place." Mallone said.

Rhodes looked at the phone. "Anything else honey?" She said

"Yeah daddy said to...umm..shadow Rawlins and see if you can dig up anything on a Hector Marquez who is on the plane along with two US Marshals."

"Marshalls, it could be a hit!" Mallone said.

"I'll get on the phone to WITSEC, and see what the story is." Mallone said.

"Anything else honey?" Rhodes asked.

"No, but daddy said he might call back." Amanda said.

"OK honey, wake up Auntie Beth and tell her I'm gonna pick you up, I have a feeling it's gonna be a long night!"