Can Link Talk?

30 posts in this topic

Posted

Most people say that Link is mute. Those that dont say he is telepathic. However somehow several people overlooked very simple things. Link talks in Ocarina and Majora's Mask. You are asked questions in which Link replies to someone "yes" or "no". He also talks in the Spirit Temple of Ocarina of Time. The Spirit Sage asks him if he is on Ganons side, you are given two options on what Link says. Both if I'm not mistaken are full sentences. in Twilight Princess he is seen talking to the Mayor's daughter. His lips are moving, either that or there is a glitch in my game. In WindWaker he says "shhhhhhhhhiiiiiit" when he is knocked to the ground. This could be taken as just a yell or speaking, considering it isnt exactly clear if thats what he says. My theory is this:Link can talk but often decides not too. It could also be only the 3D Links talk. But I do know Link answers questions in OOT. I personally consider that talking.

Posted

... First off, I've only heard that he's a mute once or twice, probably jokingly, and I have never heard of him being a telepath. Second, he does talk. There are a lot of instances where people ask Link a question, and their latter response makes it obvious that he did answer. Nintendo just doesn't have someone voice act any dialogue, or write any. Why? I heard once in an interview that they decided to not have dialogue for him so the players feel more connected to him. If you could hear his voice, or if the game told you what he says, there would be no room for you imagination and you'd be more distanced from Link's character.

Posted

... First off, I've only heard that he's a mute once or twice, probably jokingly, and I have never heard of him being a telepath. Second, he does talk. There are a lot of instances where people ask Link a question, and their latter response makes it obvious that he did answer. Nintendo just doesn't have someone voice act any dialogue, or write any. Why? I heard once in an interview that they decided to not have dialogue for him so the players feel more connected to him. If you could hear his voice, or if the game told you what he says, there would be no room for you imagination and you'd be more distanced from Link's character.

I've always heard people say he doesnt talk. Thats why I said he does. I think someone on here or zelda wiki suggested Link as being telepathic. But thanks for agreeing.

Didnt know the part about nintendo. I dont think that would distract anyone though. If anything it would be more interesting to me.

Posted

It's settled then.

[/thread]

Posted

In Wind Waker, Link can be heard saying "Come on!"

Posted

In Wind Waker, Link can be heard saying "Come on!"

I have heard this in WW before. -Nods.-

[Edit]

Also, I agree that there is no way for Link to be mute. I have also heard people say that he is, but he obviously isn't. In the 2D games, he might be telepathic. If nothing else, he does nod or shake his head to many questions, especially in Windwaker. You give a good point.

Posted

Link talks, in situations that Arcane pointed out and with things like the first conversation with Zelda in OoT, where you could choose between saying this or that, and the options were a bit more complex than just a nod or shaking of the head. Link isn't mute, he's just the strong, silent type.

"Excuuuuuuse me, princess."

Posted

That's actually not what I was talking about. I mean like when someone asked Link what happened, then after a pause, they're like "Oh! I see!". I can't think of a moment of the top of my head, but I know they happen. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Posted

I know exactly what you're talking about, like in MM when you go through the lost woods with that monkey to save that witch(her name and her sister's name escape me), then when you need the red potion, you go back to the witch's sister to get one. When she asks you about her sister, there's a pause and she has a reaction, as if you just explained it to her. She gives you the potion and sends you off.

And of course, I wasn't being serious with the "excuuuuuse me, princess." I was just making the reference.

Posted

Yeah, I got the reference, unfortunately.

Posted

Please read the rules.

This is meant for Zelda Discussion.

Moving.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Yeah, I think Link can talk, he just chooses not to to be cool, or because his voicce sounds weird.

Posted

Did you not read this thread? :[

Posted

He's just plain quiet is all. SETTLED THERE

[/thread]

Posted

It's not whether he can talk or not. That's simple. Link CAN talk, and he has.

I always thought Nintendo chose to not make him speak actual full sentences for two reasons.

1. One less thing to worry about in the game. Maybe they can make it faster or longer this way?

2. Give him a unique quality to his character

He has talked, but we just were not given audio. In OoT, kid Zelda asks him what his name is, and after a few, "...", she says, "Link, is it?"

Though the possibility of Link being telepathic could be true, that's just a whole other playing field to think about. And then debates about it would raise questions of, "So if Link is telepathic, then can he only project words into other peoples' heads, or are they telepathic too?!"

I just go with the fact that he can talk, but doesn't for those 2 reasons. =P