Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New "Pirates" movie announced

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

At the D23 conference the next sequel to "Pirates of the Caribbean" has been announced, it will be called "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides"

Pirates_of_the_Caribbean_IV_logo-thumb-550x309-23969.jpg

little is known about it other than Jack Sparrow will return (seeing as Johnny Depp was there in full Sparrow costume taking questions in character).

It might be based on a novel called "On Stranger Tides" By. Tim Powers.

tidesgrafton.jpg

The book is about a Puppeteer named John Chandagnac, who was sailing to Jamaica to get revenge on the uncle who had stolen his father's inheritance, has no choice but to join the buccaneers who have taken him prisoner--and soon, known now as the pirate Jack Shandy, he finds himself learning to survive in a treacherous new world of cutlass-fights, sea-battles, and voodoo magic on sun-blinded tropical islands. The legendary Blackbeard is assembling a ruthless navy of pirates living and undead to voyage to the fabled Fountain of Youth, and Jack Shandy must use magic, swordsmanship, and even his puppeteer skills to free himself and the girl he has fallen in love with from Blackbeard's deadly supernatural domination.

If you remember from POTC: At Worlds End, Jack and Barbossa both seek this same thing.

From the books description one would assume that it (the movie) is indeed going to be based on the book with John Chandagnac taking over the spot vacated by Will Turner and Jack Sparrow being the pirate that captures him, and Barbossa, not Blackbeard amassing a group of living and dead pirates to seek the fountain of youth.

So is the new film based on this unrelated novel, only time will tell.

Edited by Savanti Romero (see edit history)

Posted

If I were a betting man, I'd say this was a coincidence, and the only similarities that will be between the book and movie are the title and pirate theme.

Posted

If I were a betting man, I'd say this was a coincidence, and the only similarities that will be between the book and movie are the title and pirate theme.

Really?

This book sounds tailor made for adaptation into a "Pirates" movie.

Posted

I hope this movie goes back to how the first one was. I didn't particulary like At worlds end.

Posted (edited)

I hope this movie goes back to how the first one was. I didn't particulary like At worlds end.

Seconded.

Of the three originals, "At World's End" was the weakest of them all.

And another announcement was that a third "National Treasure" movie is in development.

And a new label focusing on (and this makes me wonder how) Family oriented Horror films called Disney Double Dare You, spearheaded by Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy, Pan's Labrynth), to make scarier, thrilling movies for the Disney family audience.

Double_Dare_you.jpg

Edited by Savanti Romero (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Disney's family oriented stuff isn't typically known for making people say, "Oh, that name sounds cool".

Disney channel just makes me wish I was never born in this time period or possibly, at all.

Sahaqiel

Edited by Sahaqiel (see edit history)

Posted

Let's hope it's no Will Turner and a lot more Jack Sparrow. I couldn't stand Will at times. ><

And family-friendly horror films? The heck?

Posted

I hope so too, Stormsworder...

I was so mad when he didn't die. >:C

I didn't know horror pictures could be family friendly, either.

Disney and the word horror just don't seem to mix. D|

Mickey Mouse as Jack the Ripper... Hmmm.

Posted

Let's hope it's no Will Turner and a lot more Jack Sparrow. I couldn't stand Will at times. ><

And family-friendly horror films? The heck?

Orlando Bloom (Will Turner) won't be back so unless they recast the role, Will Turner won't show up in the new movie.

Posted

That's good. It's not that I don't like his character (well, I dislike him a little...), but I think he's come to nice end. It would ruin it if he came back.

Also, Elizibeth probably shouldn't come back either.

Posted

W00T!

more pirates of the Caribbean.

but yeah, bringing will turner back will totally mess up the storyline.

Posted

Plus, face it... Jack is way cooler than Will >>

Posted

true that my friend

true that....

Posted

Name not too appealing.

Posted

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Will & Elizabeth aren't returning for this movie. The only, "for sure" character, is Jack Sparrow. =P

At first, I was like, "RAAAAGE. Will & Elizabeth SHOULD be in it!", but then I was like, "Oh wait... Will's Captain of the Flying Dutchman now. And they've both got a kid now (unless the 4th movie takes place before 10 years later), so that might be a little weird... and Will can only visit for one day every 12 years. ... Oh well. Captain Jack is back." XDD

This is the first time I've heard the movie's title. ... I don't like it so much either. =P

And another announcement was that a third "National Treasure" movie is in development

Yeah, but those movies are always good. xD No big deal.