Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Symbol

22 posts in this topic

Posted

In July 1959, 18 year olf Simon Hendricks was severly injured in an explosion. The accident left him in a pervasive vegetative state which doctors said he would never wake from. But to their amazement Simon did wake up, and he started drawing a strange symbol chevron like in appearence. More amazing was that each drawing was identical no matter what medium he used. On December 31st 1959 Simon had a stroke, as he died he spoke just one sentence "In five and ten years the great test will come, terrifying beings from Heaven will challenge the Heroes of Terra Firma. The symbol will guide them to their destiny!" No one could have guessed that just 50 years later Simon's chilling prophecy was coming true.

July 2009...

NASA and the SETI Institute detected a massive energy signal in deep space heading for Earth at high speeds. Calculations showed that it would arrive on December 31st the 50th Anniversary of Simon hendricks death. While this news is being kept a secret from the world across the world the symbol is appearing on certain people and with it fantastic sbilities are being discovered...you are one of those people.

Name: Derek Sinclare

Country of Origin: The United States

Powers: Super Strength, Levitation

History: Derek lived a normal happy life, until his father died in a tragic car accident. He and his mother had to move out of their house and moved into a small apartment in the slums of Hartford. Life was hard after that, he quit school and by the time he was 15 he was in Juvenile hall. While in Juvie his mother got cancer and was stuck in the hospital. After she died Derek was shocked to discover that she had left him a large ammount of money in her insurence. Derek vowed that he would turn his life around and become a better man in her memory. After getting his GED he enrolled in the University of Connecticut. One night after parting with friends he discovered a strange mark on his arm. At first he thought it was a Tattoo he got in a drunken stupor but his friend insisted that it was not the case. Soon Derek discovered some strange abilities. In researching the Symbol he came upon Simon's story in a medical journal and a website called Strange happenings. With webmaster Herman Shepard by his side they seek out others with the Symbol and prepare for the coming battle.

Posted

I think as though to me now to get this game

streamingmovies

Posted

Derek sat on the cold polished metal and looked towards the heavens. When he was younger he and his father would spend hours memorising the night sky and the constilations of the Zodiac his father would tell "The stuff that makes us, is the same stuff up there Derek. We are of the same matter as the stars, if we remember that all things are possible." As he looked into the inky blackness a swath of yellow began to cut through. "Oh crap!" Derek thought looking at his watch.

"Lost track of time again!" Derek quickly got to his feet. He had climbed to the crown of the statue of liberty quite a few times but there's something to say about sitting on her head. Derek walked to the crown spire and looked down to the Pedistal far below. "Banzi" he whispered as he plummeted, quickly reaching terninal velocuty. As the ground quickly approached his speed decreased until he slowed to a stop mere inches from the ground. He dismounted from the pedistal and found himself on the soft grass of Liberty Island.

Not wanting to draw attention Derek stayed low to the East River and only gained more height as he left the city behind. In mere minutes he was leaving New York State and entering his native Connecticut. As the sun rose higher into the sky he made his approach for the roof of his dorm. He landed softly and popped open the roof access door.

He exited into the hallway and was about to duck into his room, adjacent to the roof door when he narrowly bumped into a pretty girl wearing a robe. "I thought I was the only one who gets up thus early." she said blushing. "

"Actually, I've been up for hours." Derek said.

"Oh ok' well showers free." she said sidestepping him.

Derek watched her leave and smirked, "Turn around". he said to himself.

He reached into hus jeans pocket and produced his keys. "Hey, my names Amber." the girl shouted as she closed her door.

Derek closed the door behind him and sat down on his bed, which was clearly for decoration because ever since the symbol appeared he had not felt the urge to sleep.

Taking Amber up on her offer Derek quickly made his way to the showers and washed the grime and pollution of the city off if himself. As the water cascaded over him he stared at the symbol, the jagged almost lightning bolt of red and yellow with the green/yellow orb orbiting it. He spent many hours on the internet trying to find any hint of information about it with zero to show for it.

As he switched off the water the telltale noises of a college dorm began to filter in, he left the showers and returned to his room.

After getting dressed Derek looked at his computer, he was by no means a tech savy guy but he managed to rig up a data crawler that would scower the net for images that resembled the symbol. "Still nothing!" he hissed as he grabbed his books.

"Ancient history awaits." he said huffing.

Posted

Name: Cheryl Tricia Carter (Tricia/Tirsh)

Country of Origin: The United Kingdom (England)

Powers: [FMA-style(without the circle that's a bit too much...)] Transmutation (with an understanding of what an object is made of she can break it down and turn it into something else (doesn't work... well with living flesh...))

History: Cheryl, or as she prefers to be called Tricia's, father's work had her family traveling often so she got to see the world when she was younger. Her education was very important to her father and he took every measure to make sure it was top notch. When she entered high school she stopped accompanying he father on most of his travels so she could further her studies. While he was one his trips with the rest of the family that She noticed the symbol on the back of her left shoulder. ((It doesn't have to be in the same place on everyone right?)) Since her discovery of it she's noticed new and unusual powers. She's been meaning to look into it, but hiding it from her family for the most part has distracted her from it.

Posted (edited)

Name: Cheryl Tricia Carter (Tricia/Tirsh)

Country of Origin: The United Kingdom (England)

Powers: [FMA-style(without the circle that's a bit too much...)] Transmutation (with an understanding of what an object is made of she can break it down and turn it into something else (doesn't work... well with living flesh...))

History: Cheryl, or as she prefers to be called Tricia's, father's work had her family traveling often so she got to see the world when she was younger. Her education was very important to her father and he took every measure to make sure it was top notch. When she entered high school she stopped accompanying he father on most of his travels so she could further her studies. While he was one his trips with the rest of the family that She noticed the symbol on the back of her left shoulder. ((It doesn't have to be in the same place on everyone right?)) Since her discovery of it she's noticed new and unusual powers. She's been meaning to look into it, but hiding it from her family for the most part has distracted her from it.

No the Symbol can be located anywhere on the body. Althogh I kinda wanna have them appear where people normally get tattoos. Males usually get them on the forearms, biceps, or back while females typically get them on the wrist, ankle and small of the back (as well as a couple places that are unmentionable).

Edited by Ectoplasmic Emissary (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Derek took his seat in Professor Holstrom's Ancient History Class, and looked around the room. Off in the corner he noticed a woman sitting by the door. "Hey Reilly." Derek said nudging the guy sitting next to him.

"What man, I'm trying to get a few winks before the prof comes."

"Who are you kidding Reilly, you sleep through the entire class!"

Reilly sat up and wiped a pool of drool away from his face.

"Why did you wake me?" He asked.

"That girl over there, I've never seen her before." Derek said.

"Me neither, she's probably auditing the class." Reilly said

"No I don't think so...it's something else." Derek said.

"Well stop staring dude, you'll burn a hole right through that unbelievably tight cartigan." Reilly said

"It's not that man it's just something about her." Derek said.

"Alright cell phones off please!" Attention turned to the front of the Hall as Professor Holstrom came in. Holstrom was an older man, he wore the traditional college professor clothes (a tweed blazer with leather patches) and had a bushy beard of salt and pepper hair.

"Let us begin." he said approaching the whiteboard.

"The Greek Gods." he said scribbling what he spoke on the board.

"I'm sure most of you have heard of Hercules annd such correct?" he asked to nods and such from the audience.

"Very well lets talk about his father, Zeus." He wrote Zeus on the board.

"Zeus was the son of Chronos the Titan, Chronos was told that one of his kids would destroy him so fearing for his life he swallowed his kids but because they were immortal they didn't die and instead grew up living within him. But Chronos' wife (who was also his sister) hid away her last child and instead gave Chronos a stone to swallow. Chronos was unsuspecting and downed the rock. Zeus meanwhile had been sent to live with a Centaur and in time grew to be a cunning warrior. Zeus wanted to overthrow his father but he needed help using a potion Zeus poisoned his father causing him to vomit up the other kids who were now fully grown. Zeus' forces clased with Chronos and the Titans in an Apocalyptic battle for power but Zeus and his siblings were the victors thanks in part to Zeus' Thunder bolts."

Derek's ears perked up as he heards thunder bolts.

"The ancient peoples used these characters to explain the world around them if a tree was struck by lightning then Zeus must be angry." Derek looked around and lifted his hand.

"Yes Mr. Sinclare?" He asked.

"Professor is it possible that the Gods were in fact real people?" Derek asked.

He looked around as giggles and snickers wafted from the crowd.

"Now hold on." Professor Holstrom said.

"Mr. Sinclare's observation is valid, a recent dig in Greece has uncovered evidence that there might've actually been a Zeus sans the supernatural powers that is." Holstrom said.

"But are supernatural powers so crazy, I mean a kid was born in Germany with muscles like a bodybuilder." Derek said.

"While it is true that certain genetic abnormalities have given rise to mutations like that German boy, it is highly doubtful that the man known as Zeus had power over lightning."

Derek sat at his desk long after the class had ended, he sat there pouring over his book looking for anything.

"Ahh it's probably a big coincidence!" he said closing the text.

"Excuse me, is the Professor around." Derek turned and saw that it was the girl from earlier. Up close she was stunning, with a British accent.

"Oh yeah he's probably in his office." As he spoke the Symbol on his arm began to generate heat.

Derek started rubbing his arm and noticed the look of discomfort on the young womans face as well.

"Are you alright?" Derek asked

"Yes it's just a pain in my sholder."

"It's you isn't it?" Derek asked.

"What do you mean?"

Derek rolled up his sleve revealing the Symbol.

"That's not possible!" she said

She turned around and moved her collar down revealing her sholder.

"We have a lot to tak about." Derek said.

Posted (edited)

Tricia looked at Derek's arm, the Symbol screamed at her in a voice all to familiar.

"Have you noticed any peculiar abilities since it showed up?" she asked.

"Why have you?" Derek asked

"I asked you first!" Tricia shot back.

"Yes I have noticed a few things I don't get tired, I'm stronger and...I can fly."

"I'm sorry did you just say fly?" Tricia asked.

"Yes and I'm quite fast actually, what about you?" Derek asked.

"It's not as spectacular as levitation but I can transmute matter." Tricia said running her hands through her hair.

"Where do they come from?" Derek asked.

"I have no idea, it just showed up one day!"

"Were you ever curious?"

"Not really, I spent most of my time hiding it from my parents." Tricia said

"I've been searching the net for anything like it but it's come up empty!" Derek said pointing at his laptop.

"You mean this, it's found something." Tricia said pointing to the screen.

"It's a web site called 'What is the Symbol dot com' and it's local!" Derek copied the webmasters address on a sticky note.

"You wanna take a drive Tricia?" he asked.

Derek and Tricia arrived at the "home" of the webmaster Herman Shepard, which was in fact a trailer attached to a Cadillac. "Wait here." Derek said.

"No way Derek I want answers as well."

Derek and Tricia walked to the door and rapped on the Aluminium tube Herman called home. After a few minutes they heard stirring.

"Who is it?" A voice asked.

"Is this the home of Herman Shepard of 'What is the Symbol?"

"Yeah who are you?" Herman asked.

"My names Derek and this is Tricia we were wondering if we could talk to you."

"About what"?

Derek rolled up his sleve and placed his arm against the window. The lock clicked and the door creaked open.

Derek and Tricia entered.

"And does she have one as well?" Herman asked.

"Yes on my back near my left sholder."

Herman sat down and smiled. "I knew someone would be tapped eventually."

"What does it mean, do you know?" Derek asked.

"Yes the website was for people like you, I know everything...well almost everything." Herman ran to his back room and grabbed some books.

"In 1959 a young man named Simon fell into a coma, they said he'd never wake up but he did. From that moment until the day he died he drew a strange Symbol, the exact same every time I happen to gave photocopies sent to me by his niece." Herman held up the black and white copies.

"That's not possible!" Derek said.

"Oh I haven't even gotten to the good stuff, before Simon died from a stroke he spoke a prediction he said 'In five and ten years the great test will come, terrifying beings from heaven will challenge the warriors of Terra Firma, the Symbol will lead them to their destiny." Herman said with a smirk.

"But what is it?" Tricia asked.

"Do you have any clue?" she added.

"Yes lots!" Herman said.

"Look at this pottery shard depecting Zeus from a dig in Greece, look at his chest."

Derek looked at the image closely. "No way!" he said as the bolt came into focus.

"And this rubbing from a Mayan tomb." Herman said handing Tricia a piece of parchment paper.

"And it appears in Egyptian, Celtic, Asian, Africian, Native American and Eskimo, but the biggest is right here.

Herman held up a book.

"The Gospel of Theodore, there is no such book in the Bible!" Tricia said.

"It was but it was removed years ago listen to this passage. "Whilst on a pilrgramage Jesus came upon a blind man, seeing his suffering the Lord laid his hands upon the beggars eyes. When he took them away the beggar could see and he praised the lord and laid his hands upon jesud' bussom and the Staff of God that shown upon it."

"What does that mean?" Tricia asked

"Don't you see...they used to call Lightning the Staff of God!"

Derek went white, "So you're telling me that Jesus had a Symbol?"

"Yeah man it seems to arrive at times of immence struggle and hardships, and it's come again."

Posted

Tricia grabbed the gold cross around her neck. As much as it pained her to hear the words she knew them to be true.

"There's more!" Herman said.

"This is a woodcut from Bavaria dating to 1675 it depicts a large battle happening high above the city."

"I say that on a History Channel program called "Ancient UFO's." Derek said.

"Yeah and it would be really cool, if it was real." Herman said.

"Wait it's not real?" Tricia asked.

"Well it is, and it isn't." Herman said.

"This image is a copy, a reproduction of the original that has been altered see what I mean." he added punching up the actual image.

Derek and Tricia watched as the scene changed and showed human shaped in the sky battling flying orbs.

"There are many more instances of epic battles between sky ships and people. It seems that they come to our planet every hundred years or so and are always driven off buy people like yourselves." Herman said.

Posted

Name: John L. Lawliet

Country of Origin: The United States

Powers: Clairvoyant and certain degree of control over fire.

History: John lived in a bad part of New York. He got jumped and robbed nearly every day since he was 13, he's been held a gun-point during an armed robbery, and he's been falsely accused of beating a woman to death in an alley not far from his house. His parents, if you could call them that. Were rarely ever home, and even when they were they were screaming at eachother and calling the police.

When John turned 18 he ran away to conneticut, not being able to take it anymore. Shortly after his arrival he discovered a strange... symbol? on the back of his right hand. And then shortly after that, he started having weird visions. They were colorless, and blurry, he could rarely make them out. The day after, when he was sitting in a bus stop shelter. A man next to him lit a cigarette with a match. John sneezed, and the match exploded in the mans face.

John saw a passerby pull out a cellphone, and fearing prosecution, ran away. He ran, and ran, and ran. When he finally stopped he found himself in a run-down trailer park.

Is this okay?

Posted

Yeah he's fine.

"This is all a bit much Herm." Derek said.

"Hey man the truth hurts, don't you know." Herman said.

"But what does it all mean, I mean why us and not any of a number of other people?" Tricia asked.

"Hey I don't make the rules, but for whatever reason fate has tapped you for greatness, as a wise man once said 'With great power their must also come great responsibility."

"You did not just quote Spider-Man to me!" Derek said.

"Hey if the shoe fits." Herman said.

"He's right, Derek." Tricia said.

"About what, you seriously think we should put on colored undies and fight crime! I'm a little strong and fly, you have the power of Transmutation. Do you seriously want to form a real life Justice League?" Derek said.

"No, the Justice League's lame! I was thinking the Avengers."

Herman let out a low squeel.

"If I was younger I'd marry you!" he said giggling.

Derek sat on the his couch, they had gotten back from Herman's late so he invited Tricia to stay in his Dorm. As she slept comfortably he was racking his brain, going over many ideas.

Flipping across the channels he saw much that cemented Tricia and Herman's ideals. The world was in a constant state of tension, maybe they really did need a hero.

Derek turned of the TV and walked over to his closet.

"Tricia!" Derek said jostling the visitor from the UK awake.

"What do you think." Derek asked as he stood before her.

He wore a black floor-length trenchcoat, black pants, black shirt and sunglasses. Across the shirt the symbol was splayed in all it's glory.

"That's great, but you need a name!"

Posted

John walked into his hotel room and closed the door behind him. Feeling exhausted he tossed the keycard aside and sacked out on the bed. He closed his eyes but then opened them abruptly. Outside his window a fury of Neon signs pulsed and glared with obnoxious fury. He got up and staggered over to the window. Far below two burly bouncers were tossing a guy out into the street. "Is this an Indian Casino or Vegas?" he asked himself.

Being stranded in Connecticut had it's advantages, when you can see the future beating the house in Blackjack is easy. John kicked off his shoes and fell once more into the plush mattress of the High Roller Suite at Foxwoods Casino his eyes closed he thumped the bed feeling for the TV remote, hitting plastic he picked it up and instinctivly turned the set on.

"This is Monica Sorenson again for NBC 30 Connecticut News. Recaping the extraordinary events that took place a mere six hours ago.

It all began at 3 pm with a miraculous rescue in Atlanta, we now go to a video from the scene from NBC affiliate NBC 15 Atlanta."

The screen flashed to a previously recorded news piece.

"A normal day of play turned into terror for Heather James and her six year old daughter Tanya. Tanya was playing in the livingroom of her apartment 16 stories above where we are now."

The camera panned up to an open window high above.

"Tanya was playing near that open window when she slipped and fell.

"I could feel the wind in my face as I fell, but as soon as I slipped out the window I stopped because he saved me."

"Tanya was saved from a most certain death by (as she says) an Angel. We asked Tanya to describe her "Angel" and she produced this sketch.

"He was big and strong, wearing a black coat and pants. He smiled at me and said "Don't worry Sweetie i've got you." he then landed on the street below and waited for Heather, who saw her daughter fall to make it to ground level."

The taped interview ended and returned to the studio which was in a fury. "That was a broadcast from the NBC affiliate in Atlanta, we interupt it to bring you this Exciting news live, the mysterious figure that Tanya called "The Angel" has appeared again, this time at a housefire in Orlando, we go to the NBC station in Florida right now.

"It's truly beyond words Pamela, The house behind me was engulfed with flames until he came and doused it with gallons of water he scooped from a nearby river. Here he comes now, sir may I have a word with you please?"

The camera panned to Derek, in his disguise. "Yes." Derek said.

"Who are you are you..." Derek held up his hand.

"Not now, I'll make myself known in time." Derek said as he bound into the sky.

As the camera followed him skyward, they focused on the symbol on his chest. John's mouth nearly hit the floor as he recognised the very same mark that appeared on himself.

Posted

Tricia sat opposite Derek, her eyes glued to him.

"I did not expect this!" she said.

"Really, in this age of Youtube and 24 hour news channels you really didn't expect it to get this big so fast?"

Tricia shook her head. "No, the fire footage already has 500,000 hits!"

"They're calling you Black Marvel!" she added.

"Black Marvel, you're kidding?" Derek asked.

"Nope see...Black Marvel." she said pointing to the screen.

"I already has a name in mind but yeah, Black Marvel sounds cool!"

"You said something about making yourself known, how are you gonna do that?" Tricia asked.

"I have an idea." he said smirking.

Derek landed on the roof of NBC in New York and walked inside the building.

"Hey you can't go...in...there." An NBC page said, his voice trailing off.

NBC Anchor Matt Lauer looked on in disbelief as Derek walked over and sat down. "Hello, can I help you?" He asked confused.

"I'm sorry Matt, I hope I'm not intruding." he said.

"No...No not at all..ummm what should I call you?" Lauer asked.

"Black Marvel seems to have stuck with the net community co lets go with that." Derek said.

"So Black Marvel, who are you?" Lauer asked.

A few states over, John watched the interview, his mouth wide open.

"I'm not an alien or some genetic experiment as some of the Blogs have suggested, I'm human just like you Matt."

Lauer roostered his head in confusion. "But how can you...you know?"

"Fly? Well that's really hard to explain. You see people like me have been around before..."

"So their are more of you?" Lauer asked.

"I'll get to that in a bit. You see we just went by different names. First gods, then angels and finally what better analogs to use than superheroes. We usually appear when a crisis is looming."

"But how did this start?" Lauer asked.

"It started with this." Derek showed the symbol.

"It just appeared on my arm one day and the abilities followed soon after."

"You said their are more." Lauer said.

"Yes one, she should be here any...minute...now." Derek looked around.

"Ah here she is." he added as Tricia came in.

Tricia wore a red outfit, red mask with matching gloves and boots, a black cape offset the outfit.

"I'm Elementia." she said smiling.

"So can you fly as well?" Lauer asked.

"No she can't that's anotther thing, the abilities manifest differently in people." Derek said.

"Yes and even though there's only two of us we'd like to put the word out. If you find a Symbol and want more answers come find us any way you can and we'll help you."

John stood up, grabbed his keys and rushed out of his hotel room.

Posted

Thanks, I was stuck. sweat.gif

John stopped and pushed his finger to his temple. No vision has ever hurt before...

He saw a wrecked bus, with dozens of dead people all over. Some were running away, there was fire everywhere. He was lying dead on the ground, he could hear sirens...

He snapped out of it, gasping. He leaned against the outside wall for a moment to catch his breath. Suddenly screaming filled the air. He looked up and saw a bus flash past.

"No..." He breathed, and ran after it.

Posted

John ran after the out of control bus, he could see panic in the faces of those begging for help, their faces pressed against the glass. A few yards ahead a road crew had set up barriers while they fixed the olf Morrow Creek Bridge. John quickly sped up and as he spotted a smoldering flare on the ground. Without thinking he commanded the Magnesium flame into his hand, it increased in heat and fury as he pushed it forth the road beneath the bus began to bubble and melt causing the runaway transport to slow and come to an abrupt stop.

Bewildered passengers disembarked from the Peter Pan Bus and collected into a shuddering heap of fear and gratitude.

"Nice save!" John heard a voice say. After looking around he discovered that it came from above.

"Black Marvel, it's you!" John said, his voice a mix of shock and awe.

Derek landed and moved in close. "You have it, the mark?" he asked.

"Yes it's right...."

"No here, can you fly?" Derek asked.

"No, why?" John asked.

"Hang on." John grabbed Derek's arm as he took off.

Posted

The sensation of lifting off the ground was amazing! At first he felt kind of woozy, then he gradually began to feel better, until he almost laughed with joy.

"Where are you taking me?" John asked.

"To a man named Herman Shepard, he'll explain some things to you." The Black Marvel answered.

John puzzled over all the strange things that had been happening lately, and then the Black Marvel appearing on TV. And what was with that fire thing he did? He wasn't even thinking! And his vision... all up until now have been completely accurate. None have ever changed before.

The Black Marvel dropped him off in front of a worn down old trailer.

"Just go right in and show him the mark, he'll understand. See ya!" He turned and flew off, leaving John standing alone.

Sorry for such short replies... It'll take a while for me to get back into it. Then they should be better.