The oracles and Link's Awakening

14 posts in this topic

Posted

These are random questions I came up with. I personally place the Oracles after AOL at the end of the child timeline. I am dead-set against the oracles being between ALTTP and LA. Link's age (among other things) isn't consistant. I am all for ALTTP/LA with the oracles coming later.

Posted

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

Posted

I'm pretty sure the Link in the Oracles games is not in any other game in the series. I think the Oracles games take place somewhere in the Child Timeline, because Link has the Triforce for no apparent reason like the Link in Twilight Princess did.

Posted

Sorry, but I must argue against your theory. I've never liked the split-time line concept, and I'm totally convinced that the Link of LttP, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and Links Awakening are the same hero. I'm also almost certain that the games come in that precise order.

My evidence? Right here:

At the end of the Oracle saga, Link leaves Holodrum (or Labrynna) in a boat. Link's Awakening starts off with Link alone on a boat of similar design.

Ganon is already dead at the start of the Oracle games. Ganon is actually KILLED in A Link to the Past. Further, they both have a close design and are called GANON instead of Ganondorf. Ganon is also dead in Link's Awakening.

In all three games Link fights a character that appears to be Agahnim; the original in LttP, a ghost-like being in Seasons, and a shadow of him in Link's Awakening. Even if the Ghost Agahnim is of debatable origin, his presence would indicate that the game designers were thinking about him during production.

Link is already a hero or person of notoriety before the Oracle games. He's not the most famous man on the planet, but he's important as a Hyrule hero.

Many aspects of the Oracle games were inspired by both LttP and Link's Awakening. If LA is a dream, then it makes more sense that things he encountered in the quest for the essence would affect what he saw in the deam world.

I could go on and on. This my conception, and all of these points are valid. If you have any particular evidence for your own time line, do tell me. If there are any flaws in mine, point them out. A concrete idea of the Zelda chronology is one thing I've been looking for for along time.

Posted

Sorry, but I must argue against your theory. I've never liked the split-time line concept, and I'm totally convinced that the Link of LttP, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and Links Awakening are the same hero. I'm also almost certain that the games come in that precise order.

My evidence? Right here:

At the end of the Oracle saga, Link leaves Holodrum (or Labrynna) in a boat. Link's Awakening starts off with Link alone on a boat of similar design.

Ganon is already dead at the start of the Oracle games. Ganon is actually KILLED in A Link to the Past. Further, they both have a close design and are called GANON instead of Ganondorf. Ganon is also dead in Link's Awakening.

In all three games Link fights a character that appears to be Agahnim; the original in LttP, a ghost-like being in Seasons, and a shadow of him in Link's Awakening. Even if the Ghost Agahnim is of debatable origin, his presence would indicate that the game designers were thinking about him during production.

Link is already a hero or person of notoriety before the Oracle games. He's not the most famous man on the planet, but he's important as a Hyrule hero.

Many aspects of the Oracle games were inspired by both LttP and Link's Awakening. If LA is a dream, then it makes more sense that things he encountered in the quest for the essence would affect what he saw in the deam world.

I could go on and on. This my conception, and all of these points are valid. If you have any particular evidence for your own time line, do tell me. If there are any flaws in mine, point them out. A concrete idea of the Zelda chronology is one thing I've been looking for for along time.

How about the fact that this Link and Zelda never met prior to the oracles and that Link's age isn't consistant between ALTTP, the oracles, and LA (which features ALTTP's Link)? I do agree that Ganon is dead in ALTTP, but not as dead as in LOZ when his minions were needed to revive him.

Posted

There are two major arguments against the Oracles being after ALttP. First, neither Zelda nor Impa appear to recognize him. For that matter, Impa never even showed up in ALttP. Second, Link gets the Master Sword in Holodrum/Labyrna (SP) even though he clearly laid it to rest in Hyrule at the end of ALttP. How in the world could that possibly happen so quickly?

Posted

There are two major arguments against the Oracles being after ALttP. First, neither Zelda nor Impa appear to recognize him. For that matter, Impa never even showed up in ALttP. Second, Link gets the Master Sword in Holodrum/Labyrna (SP) even though he clearly laid it to rest in Hyrule at the end of ALttP. How in the world could that possibly happen so quickly?

That isn't the real Master Sword. That and Oracles Link is a new Link.

Posted

I didn't really get the vibe that Link and Zelda didn't know each other in Oracle of Seasons. If I remember, Zelda introduced herself, but that can just be taken as informing the player who she is. Kind of important.

As for the Master Sword, well, ganonlord answered that question. They're different swords; The Noble Sword even looks different from the Master in the sequence from Seasons. Its only called "Master" after it gets sharpened. I take it as a cameo, or just a way of saying that the sword is now realy powerful.

Not sure what you mean about Link's age. Assumeing that Oracles take place at most a few years after LttP, and Link's Awakening takes place immeadietly after, than problely didn't age much. What do you mean exactly?

Posted

If it isn't the real Master Sword, then why did they call it the Master Sword? If it's just a really powerful sword, why not just call it the Super Special Awesome Sword or something? If they call it the Master Sword, Occam's Razor states that it probably is the Master Sword.

Posted

There are many reasons to call it the Master Sword when it isn't. The simple fact is that its called something else before its sharpened- the Noble Sword. Second, there are TWO of these blades; ONE may in fact be the true Master Sword, as it is found in the Lost Woods, in a special hidden area that could be considered the Sacred Grove. The other is an old broken sword a Zora had. If you can come up with a good explanation as to how an elderly Zora living in the middle of no-where in another country got the Master Sword, and how it got broken, I'll listen.

The original Classic Zelda implied that there are a few enchanted swords throughout the land. The "Master Sword" of the Oracle games is probably one these, or even several of them.

As for why they didn't call it something else.... well, what would prefer? A name that sounds powerful and people are familier with, or "Sharpened Sword"?

Posted

I didn't really get the vibe that Link and Zelda didn't know each other in Oracle of Seasons. If I remember, Zelda introduced herself, but that can just be taken as informing the player who she is. Kind of important.

As for the Master Sword, well, ganonlord answered that question. They're different swords; The Noble Sword even looks different from the Master in the sequence from Seasons. Its only called "Master" after it gets sharpened. I take it as a cameo, or just a way of saying that the sword is now realy powerful.

Not sure what you mean about Link's age. Assumeing that Oracles take place at most a few years after LttP, and Link's Awakening takes place immeadietly after, than problely didn't age much. What do you mean exactly?

I can explain this. Oracles Link is younger than ALTTP/LA Link (look at in game cut scenes and official art for those games if you don't believe me). Also, why do you hate the split timeline? I'll admit that it is confusing at first, but it is official because Aounoma confirmed that there is a split timeline TWICE. Also, the Oracles are stand alone games because the story was written by Capcom. They are not supposed to include an existing Link.

Posted

I consider the art and cut-scenes to potray a stylistic choice, in that Lttp and Link's Awakening were made WAY before the Oracle games, which had a unique style to it's art. Also, the Oracle games took a little after the 64-era games, so this Link was made to look more like Young Link from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Plus, of what offical art I've seen of LttP and Link's Awakening, LA Link actually looks younger thant LttP Link. Art may not always potray a character's exact age or appearance. Sometimes video game developers don't see that as a top priority.

I don't have that much against the split timline, really. I just prefer to have a single, unifieing chronology. I feel more comfortable with it. But I don't have to acknowledge either timeline at the moment to support Oracles being between LttP and Link's Awakening. It works either way in my mind.

You do have a bit of a point with Capcom. But I think the developers had some sort of idea in mind that placed the games before Link's Awakening. They would have know about the game, most certainly. And, if Link's Awakening is a sequal to A Link to the Past, as you yourself said, then Oracle of Ages and Seasons takes place between them. There just seems to be more evidence for this than not.

Posted

I consider the art and cut-scenes to potray a stylistic choice, in that Lttp and Link's Awakening were made WAY before the Oracle games, which had a unique style to it's art. Also, the Oracle games took a little after the 64-era games, so this Link was made to look more like Young Link from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Plus, of what offical art I've seen of LttP and Link's Awakening, LA Link actually looks younger thant LttP Link. Art may not always potray a character's exact age or appearance. Sometimes video game developers don't see that as a top priority.

I don't have that much against the split timline, really. I just prefer to have a single, unifieing chronology. I feel more comfortable with it. But I don't have to acknowledge either timeline at the moment to support Oracles being between LttP and Link's Awakening. It works either way in my mind.

You do have a bit of a point with Capcom. But I think the developers had some sort of idea in mind that placed the games before Link's Awakening. They would have know about the game, most certainly. And, if Link's Awakening is a sequal to A Link to the Past, as you yourself said, then Oracle of Ages and Seasons takes place between them. There just seems to be more evidence for this than not.

The capcom games cannot have a signifigent ompact on the timeline. THey had no intention to use an existing Link. The sailboat arguement is also pointless. Also, the triforce was bound to Link after ALTTP. How could it end up in Hyrule Castle in time for the oracles. The only time that we know that the triforce is in the possesion of the royal family (which it is in the oracles) is after AOL.

Posted

How do you know the what the developers intended? You cannot read their minds. Why can't the Oracle games have an impact on the time line? What proof do you have of this?

Was the Triforce bound to Link at the end of the A Link to the Past? Seems like he just made his wish then put it back. Even if he was bound to it, he could have separated it from his physical body so as not to be burdened with it, or to keep it in a safer place. There's no evidence that he held onto it forever.

Your (mostly) incorrect about the Royal Family. In the backstory for Zelda II: the Adventures of Link, the Triforce was at least partially in the possession of the King, and his children got in a dispute over it. For that to happen, the Triforce would need to be in the Royal Family's possession before the events of the game. As it is in Oracle of Ages/Seasons.

A Link to the Past- Link kills Ganon and retrieves the Triforce

Oracle Games- Ganon is resurrected. Link kills him (again). Triforce is still safe with the Royal Family.

Note that the Triforce may actually reside in Sacred Realm at this point, and Link simplely needed to go to the Castle to get there.

Link's Awakening- Link goes off and does his own thing. Get some space, man-up if Ganon comes back to life again (now we have good reason for his paranoia).

Time passes, events described in the Zelda II backstory take place, yadda yadda yadda. Hyrule is now without the Triforce of Courage, still has Power and Wisdom.

The Legend of Zelda the original game- Ganon comes back to life (again). He steals the Triforce of Power (again), goes after the Triforce of Wisdom. Zelda splits it up into eight pieces, then Ganon kidnaps her (again). Then a new Link shows up and kills him (AGAIN). The Triforces are restord to the kingdom partly.

Zelda II: the Adventures of Link- Impa tells Link to go forth and find the Triforce of Courage, and awaken the sleeping Princess Zelda (there are two Zeldas now). The followers of Ganon are trying to bring their master back to life (AGAIN! These villains are so repetive!), by killing Link. Link triumphs over all, awakens the Princess, recovers the Triforce of Courage. Now it is at last complete. Until Ganon comes back to life (again).

-that's my understanding of it anyway.

I'm not trying to convince you my time line is correct. I'm just saying that my point is valid. This reason for this thread is to debate about the subject, right?