Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Freaktober

47 posts in this topic

Posted

#25) The Mitchell-Hedges Crystal Skull

clearglassat72.jpg

Perhaps the most famous and enigmatic skull was allegedly discovered in 1924 by Anna Le Guillon Mitchell-Hedges, adopted daughter of British adventurer and popular author F.A. Mitchell-Hedges. It is the subject of a video documentary made in 1990, Crystal Skull of Lubaantun.It was noted upon examination by Smithsonian researchers to be "very nearly a replica of the British Museum skull--almost exactly the same shape, but with more detailed modeling of the eyes and the teeth." Anna Hedges claimed that she found the skull buried under a collapsed altar inside a temple in Lubaantun, in British Honduras, now Belize. As far as can be ascertained, F.A. Mitchell-Hedges himself made no mention of the alleged discovery in any of his writings on Lubaantun. Also, others present at the time of the excavation have not been documented as noting either the skull's discovery or Anna's presence at the dig.

The skull is made from a block of clear quartz about the size of a small human cranium, measuring some 5 inches (13 cm) high, 7 inches (18 cm) long and 5 inches wide. The lower jaw is detached. In the early 1970s it came under the temporary care of freelance art restorer Frank Dorland, who claimed upon inspecting it that it had been "carved" with total disregard to the natural crystal axes, and without the use of metal tools. Dorland reported being unable to find any tell-tale scratch marks, except for traces of mechanical grinding on the teeth, and he speculated that it was first chiseled into rough form, probably using diamonds, and the finer shaping, grinding and polishing was achieved through the use of sand over a period of 150 to 300 years. He said it could be up to 12,000 years old. Although various claims have been made over the years regarding the skull's physical properties, such as an allegedly constant temperature of 70 °F, Dorland reported that there was no difference in properties between it and other natural Crystal.

Posted

indianajones.jpg

You were all thinking it.

Posted

indianajones.jpg

You were all thinking it.

Yep, it was last night and that's what inspired the post.

Posted

Actually I was thinking of this

damien-hirst-skull.jpg

Damien Hirst is an artist who calls this art

Damien Hirst is a PIECE OF SHIT

Posted

Did he seriously just bedazzle a skull?

Posted

Did he seriously just bedazzle a skull?

That, or he dug up Liberace.

liberace.jpg

Posted

Damien Hirst needs to STOP CALLING HIMSELF AN ARTIST. RIGHT THE HELL NOW.

Hirst-Shark.jpg

READ ABOUT THIS PIECE OF SHIT

Mr. Hirst often aims to fry the mind (and misses more than he hits), but he does so by setting up direct, often visceral experiences, of which the shark remains the most outstanding.
In keeping with the piece's title, the shark is simultaneously life and death incarnate in a way you don't quite grasp until you see it, suspended and silent, in its tank. It gives the innately demonic urge to live a demonic, deathlike form.

I'm not someone to go around saying things like "oh my gosh, anyone could have done this." That's a common complaint or criticism that gets held against art that looks simple but has a complex idea behind it. I'm not saying just because anyone can put a dead animal in formaldehyde, it's not art. That's another argument entirely. I do, however, fucking hate concept art like this. He puts a shark in a tank and expects everyone not only to associate it with specifically death if and of itself but also life, at the same time, and then give yourself "the innately demonic urge to live a demonic, deathlike form."

I could go on and on about how many ways this thing utterly fails at that, and about how frustrating it is to have to (hopefully one day) share a job title with people like this who then get called "smarter, more innovative, and in a word, 'higher' art," and just generally rant about all the shitty things about art, but right now I'm in class. So I'll just say this is the stuff that just pisses me off. I look at this asshole and the awards that he gets for being a "young british artist" and the eight millionish pounds this sold for, and I think "God Dammit I don't want to be an artist anymore. I will not be able to respect myself if I keep being an artist."God Dammit Damien Hirst.

By the way, I feel like I should Also point out that if I catch any of you putting a blank canvas on a wall in a gallery and calling it a finished piece I'm going to fuck you up royally.

Posted

I feel the same about Lennie Lee a South African artist who uses Blood, Vomit and poop in his (I'm sorry for this) shitty artwork.

Posted

I am reading more about Damien Hurst and oh my god this guy is a piece of shit

Posted

And to top it all off, that skull up there has 50 million British pounds worth of real diamonds.

And it was in 50-Cent: Blood on the Sand.

50centbloodonthesanddiamondskull.jpg

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

#26: Seth MacFarlane's life saving hangover

On the morning of September 11, 2001, Seth MacFarlane was scheduled to return to Los Angeles on American Airlines Flight 11 from Boston. Suffering from a hangover from the previous night's celebrations, and with an incorrect departure time (8:15 a.m. instead of 7:45 a.m.) from his travel agent, he arrived at Logan International Airport about ten minutes too late to board the flight as the gates had been closed. Fifteen minutes after departure, American Airlines Flight 11 was hijacked, and at 8:46 a.m. it was flown into the North Tower of the World Trade Center, obliterating the airplane, and killing everyone on board.

In an interview with TVShowsOnDVD.com, MacFarlane said the following about his close call:

"The only reason it hasn't really affected me as it maybe could have is I didn't really know that I was in any danger until after it was over, so I never had that panic moment. After the fact, it was sobering, but people have a lot of close calls; you're crossing the street and you almost get hit by a car... this one just happened to be related to something massive. I really can't let it affect me because I'm a comedy writer. I have to put that in the back of my head"

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

#27: Emilie Sagée's doppelganger (Double Walker in German)

couv36051300.jpg

One of the most fascinating reports of a doppelganger comes from American writer Robert Dale Owen who was told the story by Julie von Güldenstubbe, the second daughter of the Baron von Güldenstubbe. In 1845, when von Güldenstubbe was 13, she attended Pensionat von Neuwelcke, an exclusive girl's school near Wolmar in what is now Latvia. One of her teachers was a 32-year-old French woman named Emilie Sagée. And although the school's administration was quite pleased with Sagée's performance, she soon became the object of rumor and odd speculation. Sagée, it seemed, had a double that would appear and disappear in full view of the students.

In the middle of class one day, while Sagée was writing on the blackboard, her exact double appeared beside her. The doppelganger precisely copied the teacher's every move as she wrote, except that it did not hold any chalk. The event was witnessed by 13 students in the classroom. A similar incident was reported at dinner one evening when Sagée's doppelganger was seen standing behind her, mimicking the movements of her eating, although it held no utensils.

The doppelganger did not always echo her movements, however. On several occasions, Sagée would be seen in one part of the school when it was known that she was in another at that time. The most astonishing instance of this took place in full view of the entire student body of 42 students on a summer day in 1846. The girls were all assembled in the school hall for their sewing and embroidery lessons. As they sat at the long tables working, they could clearly see Sagée in the school's garden gathering flowers. Another teacher was supervising the children. When this teacher left the room to talk to the headmistress, Sagée's doppelganger appeared in her chair - while the real Sagée could still be seen in the garden. The students noted that Sagée's movements in the garden looked tired while the doppelganger sat motionless. Two brave girls approached the phantom and tried to touch it, but felt an odd resistance in the air surrounding it. One girl actually stepped between the teacher's chair and the table, passing right through the apparition, which remained motionless. It then slowly vanished.

Sagée claimed never to have seen the doppelganger herself, but said that whenever it was said to appear, she felt drained and fatigued. Her physical color even seemed to pale at those times.

Posted

#28: The Superman Curse

superman-curse.jpg

Is the character of Superman cursed, the answer might surprise you. As far back as the 1950's people associated with adapting the character to the big and small screen have meet. with misfortune. A popular rumor reports that after DC Comics fired the characters creators (Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster) and stole the character the raw emotions manifest and harm people. 

e following actors who played Superman have sometimes been cited as victims of the "Superman curse".

• George Reeves

George Reeves played Superman in the 1951 film Superman and the Mole Men and the ensuing television series Adventures of Superman.Like Alyn and Reeve, he was too closely associated for that role in order to find other ones. On June 16, 1959, days before he was to be married, Reeves was found dead of a gunshot wound at his home with his Luger near him. The death was ruled a suicide, but controversy surrounds the death, as Reeves' prints were never found on the gun, and he had been having an affair with the wife of MGM exec Eddie Mannix. It was Reeves' death that inspired the conspiracy theories and the urban legend of a curse associated with the character.

• Bud Collyer

Bud Collyer voiced the first Superman cartoon from 1941-43. He went on to enjoy a career in TV, creating and hosting the game show To Tell the Truth. He returned to Superman by voicing The New Adventures of Superman for CBS in 1966. Three years later, he was dead of a circulatory ailment at the age of 61.

• Lee Quigley

Lee Quigley, who played Superman as a baby in the 1978 film, died in 1991 at age 14 due to solvent abuse.

• Kirk Alyn

Kirk Alyn played Superman in two low-budget 1940s serials but failed to find work afterwards because he was too closely identified with the role, and was relegated to voice-overs, commercials and uncredited screen roles. He later appeared as Lois Lane's father in the 1978Superman film. Alyn suffered from Alzheimer's disease later in his life and died in 1999 at the age of 88.

• Christopher Reeve

Christopher Reeve played Superman/Clark Kent in the Superman film series, Superman: The MovieSuperman II , Superman III, and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. Like Kirk Alyn, Reeve was so closely identified with the character that it was difficult for him to acquire lead parts in other films, and was largely relegated to Superman sequels and supporting roles. The actor was paralyzed from the neck down after being thrown from his horse in a cross-country equestrian riding event on May 27, 1995. Reeve died on October 10, 2004 due to heart failure stemming from his medical condition

In addition to the actors to play Clark Kent, people who have played other roles have meet with misfortune.

• Margot Kidder

Margot Kidder, who played Superman’s love interest Lois Lane opposite Christopher Reeve suffers from intense bipolar disorder. In April 1996, she went missing for several days and was found by police in a paranoid, delusional state. Kidder dismisses the notion of a curse, remarking in a 2002 interview, "That is all newspaper-created rubbish. The idea cracks me up. What about the luck of Superman? When my car crashed this August, if I hadn't hit a telegraph pole after rolling three times, I would have dropped down a 50ft to 60ft ravine. Why don't people focus on that?"

• Richard Pryor

Comedian Richard Pryor, who had previously suffered from a drug addiction that led to a near fatal suicide attempt, starred as villain Gus Gorman in Superman III, but later took Superman's side near the end of the movie and became a hero. Three years later, he announced that he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. He died of cardiac arrest on December 10, 2005 at the age of 65.

• Dana Reeve

The curse has been mentioned regarding the death of the widow of actor Christopher Reeve, who, despite being a non-smoker, died of lung cancer in 2006 at the age of 44

Not long after DC apologized to the families of Jerry and Joe the "Curse" has seemed to have ended. Actors Dean Cain, Brandon Routh and Tom Welling have come out of there roles unscathed. 

This Summer Will see the release of the highly anticipated Man of Steel film starting Henry Cavill, Will Cavill emerge unscathed or Will the recent lawsuit between DC and the Siegel and Schuster families over Superboy exaggerate the curse once again?

Posted

Yeah this curse stuff is bullshit. I have no idea why people would see bad things happening to people with a coincidence like playing a role in a superman movie and decide the two are related like that. Bad things happen anyways. They're just deliberately looking for evidence that might suspect that there's a curse. This is stupid.

Posted

#29: The Fossil Hammer (also known as the London hammer)

hamm0606m.jpg

The London Hammer was found by a group of Hikers in a creek bed near London Texas in 1923. This artifact is seen by creationists as proof against evolution however the modern look of the hammer suggests an easy scientific explanation. The Hammer was found not in geologic  bedrock but rather a limestone concretion made when a mixture of limestone gravel and water solidifies over an object. The Hammer was most likely discarded by a miner in the 1800's then got covered over by limestone runoff from the nearby mine, further evidence is the modern seashell also in the limestone and the wooden handle if it was as old as claimed would've deteriorated centuries ago.