Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Siblings? Link and Zelda

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Apologies ahead of time if there is already a topic about this, but I failed to find an active one.

For years there has been the theory that Link and Zelda are in fact brother and sister. A big part of the controversy stems from a quote in Link To The Past:

"Zelda is your..."

It is thought the unfinished sentence was refering to them being siblings.

Others also believe there is a familial relationship between the two because of them having the same hair and eye colors.

I personally don't believe this theory is true. My reasoning:

1) The 2002 release of Link To The Past reworded the previously mentioned quote to "It is your destiny to save Zelda." It was not meant to say anything about her being Link's sister.

2) In Ocarina Of Time, we learn that Link's mother fled during wartime, taking baby Link with her. If Link and Zelda were indeed siblings, and their mother the queen, her fleeing to the forest makes no sense. What sense does it make for a queen to flee into the middle of Hyrule Field during a battle? Also, why did she take only Link? What about Zelda?

3) It's no argument to say they have the same hair and eye colors. There are plenty of people in the world with the same hair and eye color, yet they are not related.

Thoughts? Constructive discussion please.

Agencereurich likes this

Posted

All the way with you on this one. Having Link and Zelda be siblings makes no sense at all. At most, they may be distantly related do to the Knights of Hyrule and the Royal bloodlines intermixing at some point, and even that is unlikely.

The very quote in Link to the Past that inspired this idea was rewritten to debunk it. You don't need any better proof then that.

Posted

Although I agree with you, I must say this.

There are multiple Link's and Zelda's. You can't use one game's details to prove or disprove something in another unless you can prove that they are connected. In this case, I don't think they are.

Posted

Zelda: The Deku Tree never told you what happened to your sister...

Link: He told me enough, he told me you killed her!

Zelda: No Link, I am your sister.

Link: That's not true! That's impossible!

Zelda: Search your feelings, you know it to be BS.

Although I agree with you, I must say this.

Thereare multiple Link's and Zelda's. You can't use one game's details toprove or disprove something in another unless you can prove that theyare connected. In this case, I don't think they are.

Absolutely. Which is why I mentioned two games. I could name more, but those were the main ones I got my reasoning from, so those were the only listed.

Posted

Zelda: The Deku Tree never told you what happened to your sister...

Link: He told me enough, he told me you killed her!

Zelda: No Link, I am your sister.

Link: That's not true! That's impossible!

Zelda: Search your feelings, you know it to be BS.

Haha... nice

Posted

Haha... nice

Lol, thanks. It had to be done.

Posted

I think it's very possible. Though it is more possible that the line was 'Zelda is your destiny'.

Posted

While I totally agree with you, I think the question we should all be asking is, "What is Zelda to Link, then?" She is obviously connected somehow, whether it be family or not, something completed that sentence.

Posted

Or maybe they couldn't decide... meaning that there isn't anything completing that sentence... Possibilities :huh:

Posted

Sharing the triforce is a closer than blood relationship, it's fate. Besides, Link's family relationships are peripheral, while he's saving the world. Notice how he leaves his uncle's body for the rats, his little sister with pirates, and his grandmother is only important when she's making him soup.

Posted

Too true.

Agencereurich likes this

Posted

I always thought Navi was going to say "Zelda is your princess" since well Zelda is still royal and rules Link

and also due to the fact that this is not Star Wars

Posted

Post above me makes a good point.

Posted

Personally, I say no.

1) Wouldn't they have tried even harder to save Link as a baby, due to his being a male heir?

2) Also, giving any family, even the Hylian royal family two-thirds of the Triforce would completely unbalance everything. (They would search for Power relentlessly to the point of an unhealthy, potentially lethal obsession.)

Posted

First of all in a Link to the Past he was going to say destiny, second in Minish Cap Link lived with his grandfather Master Smith, Third, In Ocarina of Time Link was given to the Duku Tree by his mother and father, who died in the Grate War, if Zelda's father died Ganon/Gannondorf wold have taken over Hyrule. There for Link and Zelda are not related in any way