Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Nintendo says Wii sales have stalled. Time for the Wii 2?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

-

Has Nintendo president Satoru Iwata been dosed with truth serum? The head of the Japanese games giant has followed this week’s 3G-enabled Nintendo DS revelations with frank words about the Wii. Find out why he thinks sales have slumped and what Nintendo plans next… 

While the Nintendo Wii is still number one among consoles, it’s not exactly been on fire recently. Nintendo’s income is down 59% year-on-year and Wii sales have plummeted 43% even with the launch of the black Wii.

Iwata says the Nintendo Wii has “stalled

Posted

This isn't surprising. I have *fake* stock in Nintendo and it's been pretty low.

Posted

nintendo wont care they have money

Posted

<P> Also, it's possible that almost anyone who wants a Wii has one by now. I don't, but my boyfriend does, and until I can afford one I'm not buying.

I understand the Nintendo executives looking to the casual gaming market because they have that market more than pretty much any other gaming market console-wise. But casual gamers aren't always usually going to buy gimmicky peripherals unless there are enough games that support them.

I mean, I understand that the new controls and Wii Sports were huge selling points when it first came out, and it was a great way to bring in a new crowd of gamers. However, I don't think all that many people who own one play Wii Bowling on a daily basis. It's fun for awhile and good for getting non-gamer friends involved when they would normally sit back, but the novelty of Wii Fit or whatever wears off. What's how it was for me with Brain Age for the DS, too.

What Nintendo needs is more games for people to get genuinely excited about, and it looks like this year they will be delivering at least a few. Still, my understanding is that they're working on the next generation console right now. Don't these things usually work on approximately a 5-year cycle? NES: 1985 - SNES: 1990 - N64: 1996 - Gamecube: 2001 - Wii: 2006. So following that formula we should be seeing one in the next two years. I'm curious to see what they'll be doing with it. They're doing 3-D graphics for the next handheld, but I don't think using that method is practical yet on a full screen, and it would be too expensive for most people to afford. Probably will still be using the wiimote-style controls, but have them improved, more than the Wii Motion Plus. Lots of emphasis on multi-player, most likely, with more of a game library with online multiplayer. They probably will bite the bullet and go HD, which I would like to see even though I'm not fussed about graphics so much. The way things are going right now, they'll probably keep pandering to the casual game market, and I don't see a problem with that, as long as they keep making lots of good stuff for the more experienced gamers. EDIT: removed some redundancies.</P>

Posted

Extra, extra! Read all about it! Everybody who wanted one finally has one! Now they don't sell anymore! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Posted

What the Crocdile said. Everyone has one and besides it's been like, what, three or four years since it came out. Time for a new consule. I could tell they were getting desperate when they dropped the price to $199 instead of the regular $250 :lol:

Posted

i have 6 wiis now.... sad but not by choice

1.bought the day it came out

2. got a new t.v. came free

3.from japan when smash brawl came out because i could not wait

4. american wii for mad world and no more heroes

5.sister bought one then gave it to me

6.the BLACK WII

there you have it!! yeah i know i wish i could trade them in but they all belong to a family member each :P

dammit i want a ps3 for ff13

Posted

ff13 is on xbox 360

Posted

Just bought myself a Wii. They're extremely hard to find in Canada. Amazon was the only supplier that had any in stock, and they only had 11. FOR THE WHOLE FRIGGIN COUNTRY.

Maybe if Nintendo actually supplied them to Canada more frequently they'd see more sales. I don't know if it's the same problem in the states. I also got a Wii motion Plus in anticipation of the next Metroid game.

Posted

ff13 is on xbox 360

It's on both PS3 and Xbox 360

Posted

Wii Motion Plus' are so useful :)

Posted

Finally this should have happened two years ago. I figure the reason its stalling is since of lack of up to date technology