Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Red Planet

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Chapter One: Nightmares of Blood

"So how's our boy Doctor Marks?" Mission Director Peter Kade asked entering the mission psychologists office.

"I'm very concerned about Mr. Green Director Kade. I fear the stress of the upcoming mission may be getting to him." Dr. Marks said closing her notebook.

"What do you mean Doctor?" Kade asked.

"Astronaut Green...Lucas has told me much of his dreams of late. He sees horrible things Director Grassy hills drenched in blood, buildings crumbling to the ground and mass panic sweeping through normally calm streets!"

"We all have nightmares Doctor Marks." Kade said.

"Yes but his dreams are reoccuring nightly I'm afraid we might have to scrub him from the mission."

"Are you serious Doctor, Our window to Mars is brief at best if we delay now we can't launch again for two years. Are these dreams really that bad?" Kade asked.

"Fine I'll allow Mr. Green to stay on mission, but I'm officially noting my protest in my report." Dr. Marks said.

"Fine, fine Doctor but I assure you with Lucas Green at the helm of this mission, everyone will have faith in NASA again."

Peter Kade walked over to the window and watched as the expiremental "MaJora" spacecraft was tractored to the launchpad.

"Everyone will have faith in Lucas Green, the true Hero!"

Posted

Chapter Two: Final Briefings

Astronaut Lucas Green smiled as he approached Mission Control. In the distance the "Majora" starship, the newest addition to the NASA quiver sat ready on the launch pad.

"Hey Luke good to see you're coming with!" Biologist Kevin Feng said bringing up the rear.

"There she is Luke, that ship makes the shuttle look like a paper airplane!" Kevin added.

"Yeah Micro fusion reactor, pulse hyperdrive, modulated plasma shields..."

"Enough kicking the tires gentelmen you're late!" Commander Ivan Cooper said exiting Mission Control headquarters.

Lucas, Kevin and Ivan walked tandem down the brightly lit hall past the greats of NASA's past.

"Just look at these guys Aldrin, Ryde, Jameson, Cooper and soon the crew of NASA's Mars mission." Ivan said

Lucas opened the door and spotted Director Kade sitting at a long table the final two members of the mission Doctors Gabriel Lord (astrophysics) and Zela Kade (Medical) sitting awaiting the others arrival.

"Sorry we're late sir we were just..."

"Checking out the ship no doubt." Zela said smirking.

"That fine no harm done Lucas, now lets get down to business." Kade said.

"There's been some concern about the Majora's hyperdrive, chief among them being is it safe. Doctor Lord that your baby what say you?"

Doctor Lord activated a tablet PC and flicked her tech specs onto a wallmounted screen.

"As you can see the Static Pulse Hyperdrive is the pinnacle of space flight, with it we get to Mars in half the time of traditional spacecraft, and we achieve escape velocity all without the liquid boosters like the Space Shuttle uses."

"Very informative Dr. Lord, now is there any other business?" Peter Kade asked.

"Yeah I was wondering who steps out first?" Ivan asked.

"Yes about that, seeing as the press has taken a liking to him the Board has chosen Lucas Green for that honor."

"But sir I really think that Ivan would be better I mean he's the experienced astronaut..."

"It's fine Luke." Ivan said.

"I guess congratulations are in order, whose up for drinks and "The Launchpad?" Ivan added.

Posted

Sounds promising, I'll have to follow this.

Posted

Chapter Three: Mission prep

Lucas strapped himself into the pilots chair. Commander Ivan sat behind him on his left and Doctor Lord on his right.

"Mission Control Bridge crew in position." Green said into his radio.

"Roger that Captain Green, Beta team status check?"

In the back of the ship Beta team sat strapped in as well.

"Beta team locked and loaded Mission control." Zela said

"Everything looks green Director Kade, it looks like we are ready for launch." Kevin said.

"Roger that Majora, the clock stands at T-60...59...58..."

Lucas sat in his chair and smiled, he felt his pulse quicken but a few short breaths calmed it down. He felt himself fall away and let his mind drift away.

"You must leave, our world is ending! The inhabitants of our sister planet resemble us enough that we might pass...go now!"

"10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1, Launch!"

"That's go for launch Mission Control." Lucas said activating the Majora's escape thrusters.

The Majora lifted off the runway and arched up into the atmosphere.

"The Majora is away!" Kade said over the thunderous cheering from the mission team.

"Good luck, and may god carry you." Kade said.

As the ship exited the atmosphere and kissed the empty black of space, Lucas took one last look at the beautiful blue marble of Earth.

"Kevin patch me into the ISS." Green asked.

"Aye sir, International Space Station this is the U.S.S Majora, are you receiving us?"

"Roger that Majora, good to see you on this side of the atmosphere." Commander Colbert of the ISS said.

"Commander Colbert, this is Lucas Green target Mars and launch habitat pods."

"Roger Commander, launching pods."

Three school bus sized objects rocketed out of the ISS and blasted off in the direction of Mars.

"Pods away." Colbert said.

"Matching their trajectory, course plotted, hyper launch in 5 minutes." Ivan said.

"That should give the Navi's more than enough time to build the pods before we get there." Kevin said.

"At least a week ahead of us."

The Majora moved into position, joining the course plotted by the pods.

"The pods did clear the way for us, right?" Zela asked.

"Oh yeah that's what they do, plow the road so no micro meteoroid punctures our hull at 5,640 miles a millisecond, thus boiling us in our own juices." Kevin said.

Majora now within prime launch Vector Commander Green." the ships onboard AI announced.

"Confirmed Activating static hyper flight, let's light this candle!"

"In 5...4...3...2...1."

Posted

Chapter Four: One month in

"The planet is dying sir, we must leave."

"I'll leave last, there's just one thing I have to do first."

"You're gonna release him aren't you?"

"It has to be done, he deserves that much."

"He caused this to happen, his obsession with the Tri..."

"Without his dark soul he's just a man, he deserves to live a normal life!"

"What of the soul, and the artifacts?"

"We'll leave them here, let the red sands bury them for eternity. Now get to the ship it's almost here."

Lucas watched through unfamiliar eyes as a beautiful blue sky almost Earthlike stripped away, exposing the planet to the harmful radiations of space.

"Good morning Astronaut Green!" Ivan said jostling Lucas awake.

"Coffee?" he added shoving a cup in his hand.

"The subspace transmission from Earth come in yet?" Lucas asked.

"Just did, it seems that the Keaton Rover on Mars caught something strange sticking out of the sand!" Ivan said.

"What we got Dr. Lord?" Lucas asked entering the common area.

"NASA wants us to check out a new location, near the Dominous crater there is some unidentifible mass sticking out of the sand." she said sliding a color photo across the table.

"It almost looks like...carved marble."

"More likely that it's weathered stone." Zela said in between sips of tea.

"Add it to the mission specs Kevin." Ivan said.

"Will do sir." Kevin replied.

Lucas sat for a long time and poured over the photos. As he looked he again felt dizzy.

"Sir your sword."

"Leave it, the shield too let them rust here!"

Lucas opened his eyes and looked around.

"You alright?" Zela asked sitting down next to him.

"No...I mean I'm not sure." he said.

"Ever since I was picked for the Mission I've been having these dreams, really vivid dreams almost like memories."

"Of what?" Zela asked.

"I'm a solder or knight on a beautiful grassy planet that's dying and...."

"Is this a joke?" Zela asked.

"What no why?"

"I've been having them too."

Posted

Chapter Five: A shared experience

"I find myself standing on a balcony, overlooking a vast grassland. People are running to a massive ship in the distance as a dark force sweeps the planet stripping all life away. Before I wake up a man walks up to me and grabs my arm."

Lucas stared at Zela drinking in her every word.

"Yes that's exactly what happens to me!" he said gulping down a glass of water.

"What does it mean?" Zela asked.

"Doctor Marks said it was stress, but I did some research on my own and discovered some things."

Lucas grabbed his laptop and placed it on the table.

"Past life regression studies, reincarnation statistics, what is all this?" Zela asked.

"There have been documented cases of past life incidents. A man who feared being buried alive led his girlfriend to the basement of an abandoned building where they found a body, described exactly the way he did. It took me a while to actually believe but now I think it might be true." Lucas said.

"What that we lived on some planet that was dying so we left before it happened!"

"Not just any planet, the dreams started happening ever since the Mars mission." Lucas said

"Oh now come on, were not even sure that single celled organisms evolved on Mars, but you're suggesting that a complex human like society evolved and left when some cataclysm befell the planet.

"Simply put but yeah!"

"And then they blasted off in their rocketships and landed on Earth and nobody noticed!"

"I think somebody did Zela, I think everyone knew or at least suspected."

Lucas clicked on a folder and brought up documents.

"Atlantis...are you serious!" she said.

"The evidence is there Zela, you just need to step back and embrace it."

So Lucas went on to explain. He told her of the Pyramids and monolithic stone structures built by ancient peoples all over the world, of forms of written language that just seemed to appear, and of whole cities destroyed by supernatural forces.

Zela looked at Lucas and smiled.

"Let's keep this between us at the moment."

"Kevin slowly tiptoed away from the door having heard everything. Tapping his back pocket he brought out a small notepad "Dreams" scribbled on the cover.

Posted

That's very interesting... I expect you'll make an RP out of this soon XD

Posted

Chapter Six: Then their were three

"The force was raviging the land, I could see the lush green grass and crystal blue water as it was stripped away, replaced with dusty red earth. Even the marvelous stone buildings of the old times were no match for it. I grabbed my beloved Kara and rushed her to the ship, I told her that I would be right behind her I had to see that the Princess was alright."

Kevin closed his book and placed the pen on top.

Kevin looked out the tiny window as the billion stars whizzed by.

"Your wife will be fine Kaf!" a voice said.

Kevin looked around and saw Lucas behind him.

"What did you say?" he asked

"I asked if you wanted some decaf...you know coffee?"

"Oh no thanks, I have water." Kevin said holding up a glass.

"So is it half full or half empty?" Lucas asked.

Kevin continued to look out the window, ignoring or completly missing the question.

"You sure you're alright?" Lucas asked, concern on his face.

"Yeah it's just...I overheard you and Doctor Zela talking about dreams."

Lucas felt horrified, he gulped and cleared his throat trying desperately to think of a logical lie to cover his butt.

"Oh that, that was just a...a little joke." he said.

"No it's ok Luke." Kevin said.

"Perhaps we can all go "Section 8" together then." Kevin said sliding the book across the table.

"You too?" Lucas asked.

"Ever since I was chosen for the Mars mission!"

Kevin and Lucas sat in silence for what seemed an eternity, before Kevin himself broke the silence.

"What if it's everyone on board?" he asked.

"Then that would mean that fate or god or whatever was guiding our actions, pulling strings in an attempt to get us to this point."

A chill went down Lucas' spine at that revelation.

Chapter Seven: The Red Planet

"Captain Ivan, sensors indicate Mars is in sight." the computer announced.

"What, it's only been a month!" Ivan said.

"Recheck those readings computer." he added.

"Readings are sound, Mars is within range."

"How is that possible?" Lucas asked.

"I am detecting an unknown code written into the engine control software, it has been doubling engine output since we left the ISS."

"We'll worry about that later, patch me through to the entire ship."

"Go ahead sir."

"Attention everyone, somehow two months have been shaved off our journey and Mars is within spitting distance, Strap in and prepare for landing.

Lucas, Ivan and Gabrielle took up their seats in command while Zela and Kevin strapped into the science compartment.

"Computer establish subspace link with Cape Kennedy!" Ivan said.

"Link established sir."

"Mission control this is Majora do you read, over."

"This is mission control how goes it crew?" Flight director Kade asked.

"Well somehow were at Mars Mission Control." Ivan said.

"But that's not possible, subspace transponder puts you at least another two months from Mars."

"Computer run a diagnostic on transponder." Lucas said.

"Diagnostic complete, unknown code found within transponder program, expunging foreign code."

Back on Earth Kade watched as the ships beacon vanished from the screen and reappeared near the Mars icon.

"Good lord that's not possible." he shouted.

Kade looked around the empty mission room and grabbed his phone.

"This is director Kade, wake everyone up the mission has changed!"

Ivan looked and Lucas and Gabrielle. "Mission control are you there?" he asked.

"Roger Commander please hold." Kade said.

"Hold...hold my ass!" he said.

"Are you sure?" Kade asked, his voice quietly filtering through the speakers.

"Majora this is Mission Control come in."

"Majora here, please advise." Ivan said.

"We went over every subroutine, every keystroke and discovered subtitle breaches in multiple systems including thrust, transponder telemitry, and cybernetic construction. Not only are you within range of the planet the habitat pods are there as well, built and ready for use."

"So we go ahead with the mission?" Doctor Lord asked.

"Affirmative Doctor, Mission go ahead granted." Kade said.

"But the real question is, what am I gonna tell the press." he added.

Ivan switched on the shipwide comms.

"Ok everyone, it seems like we're cleared for landing. And even though it's two months early we have a mission to complete."

"Computer begin landing protocol on my mark...3...2...1, mark."

"Warning foreign code detected, adjusting for new landing vectors."

"New Vectors, but where are we landing."

"X axis 57, Y axis 29."

Lucas called up the Mars chart and punched up the coordinates.

"It's somewhere near the north pole, wait what the hell!"

"Kevin look at this." Lucas said beaming his readings to the science compartment.

"It's a structure, artificially constructed and what appears to be an open door!"

"Why haven't we ever seen this structure before?" Ivan asked.

"It's like a needle in a haystack, without knowing where it is you just miss it."

"Entering the atmosphere sir!" Dr. Lord announced.

"Brace for a rough landing!" Ivan shouted.

The Majora descended into the atmosphere and landed on a smooth white piece of glass, that from blurry rover photos, looked like ice.

"We're here Kennedy we made it." Kade said.

"Kennedy to you read over?" Ivan added.

"Something is blocking subspace signal commander." Kevin said.

"It's originating from...the doorway!"

"What do we do?" Dr. Lord asked.

"We have to contact Mission Control, so I say we EVA to the disruption and switch it off."

"But the Mark II suits are in the habitat pods."

"We have the Mark 1's they'll work right?" Ivan asked.

"Yes but the oxygen capacity is half of the Mark II and there is no internal gravitational compensators."

"so it'll be twice as hard walking around as those trained in Mark II." Lucas asked

"Well we are Astronauts, the best of the best as it were."

"Long story short, until we find that jamming and cut it out, we are on our own here!" Ivan said

Posted

Chapter Eight: A life revealed

Lucas stepped out of the Majora and onto the rusty soil of Mars.

"I had a big speech planned, but since were the only ones who will hear it I'd just like to say, to Aldrin, Armstrong and all the guys before us this is for you."

Lucas stepped up onto the smooth glass runway and walked towards the opening.

"Jeez this thing is freakin high!" he said commenting on the size.

"We going inside that?" Kevin asked exiting the ship.

"I vote yes, it looks marvelous!" Gabrielle said stepping down. She took a step and a shiny object half buried in the Martian soil drew her attention.

"What'd you find Gabby?" Zela asked.

"It looks like a charm or talisman, perhaps a piece of jewelry."

Lucas stepped into the opening and found himself in a large white room.

"It's incredible!" he shouted

"This is not possible, readings indicate this room has an atmosphere, Earthlike at that."

Lucas took of his helmet and breathed in.

"It's a little stale but otherwise it's fine." he said.

"So now what do we just hang in the white room or is something gonna...no way!" Kevin said noticing a cloaked figure at the other end.

Ivan pulled his energy pulse pistol and held it on the approaching figure.

"I don't think that's needed sir, if he wanted to kill us we'd be dead already." Lucas said.

The figure moved closer and took off his hood. He resembled a human male about late 60's to early 70's with white hair and ears that turned up into sharp points.

"Welcome home lost children of Hyrule my name is Ruaru the sage."

"What do you mean lost children?" Lucas asked.

"You are all descended from refugees from this barren world of Hyrule, the place known to you as Mars."

"You mean from my dreams...our dreams?" Lucas asked motioning to Kevin and Zela.

"Yes Hero that is correct, your dreams are mearly the shared memories of your past selves, who were blessed in an endless cycle of death and rebirth until you could return to the planet you once called home."

"Why?" Ivan asked

"To use the sacred power of the goddesses to rejuvinate Hyrule Good Impa."

"What did you call me?" Ivan asked.

"Forgive me, I see you all as I once knew you. You Ivan were once Impa the protector and nurse of Princess Zelda or Zela as you know her. Kevin was once Kafei best friend and Confidant of Lucas or Link as he was known the greatest hero Hyrule has ever known."

"What about Gabrielle?" Zela asked.

Gabrielle smiled as she held the pendant in her hand.

"I understand everything now!" she said.

"The dreams, the voices in my head talking all at once whispering such nice things. Pushing me to write the code to increase the engines and spoof the transponder it all led me here to this, my beautiful soul trapped for countless millennium on this rusty planet."

"You tampered with the ship, why?" Lucas asked.

"I guess I couldn't wait any longer." she said

"No get the locket away from her hurry!" Ruaru shouted.

"It's to late ancient fool, after countless eons away, the dark lord returns to Hyrule!" Gabrielle tossed the pendant on the ground releasing a black mist that entered her body through the eyes.

"Now Ganondorf lives again!" Gabrielle shouted her voice now deep and menacing.

"And once I claim the Triforce, I will have the power to conqure not only Hyrule but Earth as well, and to ensure I'm not disturbed let this sorry temple of the long dead Hylian filth be your tomb!"

Ganon lifted his hand and fired a wave of darkness caving in the roof.

As he rose through the rubble he flew off in search of the location of the once great Temple of Time.

Posted

Chapter Nine: The More Things change...

Lucas sat up, his head splitting with a massive headache. Looking around he saw that Kevin, Zela and Ivan were unharmed.

"Ahh you're awake, I'm pleased!" Rauru said

"Plese drink, this elixar will give you strength."

Lucas looked at the red liquid handed to him and quickly downed it.

"Wow I feel great, and my headaches gone!"

"The life medicine cures all ills." Rauru said.

"Rauru what exactly happened here on Mars...I mean Hyrule?" Lucas asked.

"That is a story that is hard to explain."

"Please try." Zela said sitting up.

"Yes please." Ivan said.

"Very well..."

Long ago this world was barren and lifeless, a molten remnant of the creation of the Solar System. One day extra-dimensional beings ageless, sexless omnipotent descended upon this world. My people saw these creatures as Goddesses and we gave them names. They used their amazing abilities and gave life to this world just as they did yours. But as life flurished here your planet was struck by it's companion and every trace of the goddesses power was lost. As for Hyrule, the spot where the goddesses left became the cradle of our civilisation due to the unique energies emitted by the Triforce."

"The what?" Zela asked.

"You know of it, child." Rauru said.

"The Triforce three triangles of pure golden energy making up one large Triangle."

"That symbol is seen in ancient writings of many cultures all over Earth!" Kevin said.

"Yes when the Hylians mixed with the various Earth cultures our Legends became one and the same."

"The Triforce stood on land that became Sacred so a Temple was built on that land and the doorway to it was sealed with a powerful magic. Then came Ganondorf."

"The guy that Gabrielle was descended from?" Kevin asked.

"Yes, Ganondorf was once the ruler of the Gerudo a nomadic band of desert dwellers. Ganon came to the ancient king and pledged his allegiance to him. But this was all a ruse aimed at learning about the mystical Triforce. Learning of it's location he sought to open the door he tricked the young Princess Zelda and a forest boy Link into opening the door to the Triforce and claimed it. But Ganon only claimed one aspect of the energy of the Triforce, Power. The two others Wisdom and Courage went into Zelda and Link themselves.

That incident started a series of reincarnation for Link and Zelda. Many Legends exist surrounding these events in Which Ganon, granted immortality by the Triforce of Power returns in an obsessive quest to retrieve the other two."

"Where is the Triforce now?" Ivan asked.

"On Ganon's last attempt to aquire the Triforce a massive battle ensued in the crater of Death Mountain, a massive volcano to the east of here. Before he could claim it, it fell into the molten lava starting a chain reaction that devistated the planet."

"So the Triforce is somewhere under millions of Tons of rock?"

"Yes but that will not dismay Ganon, his obsession is to great."

"We can't let him get the Triforce." Lucas said.

"You are still as couragous as always Link, here these relics are yours." Rauru handed him a sword and shield.

"Now let's stop Ganon!"