Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

how we love you jrpg's

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Most Jrpgs I played feels very recycled, It must suck to look at the enourmous amount of RPG games in japan, only to realize that they are all carbon copies of each other.

Western RPG games studios are much more competitive, forcing them in different directions and to create new things.

Western RPGs also seem to spend a lot of time making itself believable, unlike Jrpgs who are just spiky hair in obscure colours.

My thoughts exactly ^

Posted

Most Jrpgs I played feels very recycled, It must suck to look at the enourmous amount of RPG games in japan, only to realize that they are all carbon copies of each other.

Western RPG games studios are much more competitive, forcing them in different directions and to create new things.

Western RPGs also seem to spend a lot of time making itself believable, unlike Jrpgs who are just spiky hair in obscure colours.

I don't think it's fair to compare them to western rpgs and call them recycled, because Jrpgs have been around for 30 years. Wrpgs are just getting started. Give it 30 years and you'll be tired of Wrpgs too.

Posted

I don't think it's fair to compare them to western rpgs and call them recycled, because Jrpgs have been around for 30 years. Wrpgs are just getting started. Give it 30 years and you'll be tired of Wrpgs too.

What? Wrpgs have been around for as long as Jrpgs have if not longer..

In fact, some of the oldest video games are western RPGs such as Dungeon (1976) and DND (1974).

And of course, we have Ultima (1981) and Might & Magic (1986).

And let's not forget Fallout (1997), Baldur's Gate (1998) or The Elder Scrolls: Arena (1994).

Posted

And Fallout's the same damn game it was back then. The only difference is Bethesda took ahold of it and turned it into a shooter.

Posted

And Fallout's the same damn game it was back then. The only difference is Bethesda took ahold of it and turned it into a shooter.

No, Bethesda got lazy and instead on making an ACTUAL Fallout sequel, they took Oblivion and set in post apocalyptic DC and voila. And just because it's in first person doesn't make it a shooter... VATS basically made the "shooting" aspect moot. It is very much still an RPG.

That said, it's still a good game, I never liked Fallout 1 or 2, but I did enjoy Fallout: Tactics a little.

Posted

Nothing to say you can't blend an RPG and an FPS well. I mean, look at Borderlands.

Though I have to agree that WRPG's are a bit more original than JRPG's.

Posted

Oh, not saying you can't have RPG shooters, but Fallout 3 doesn't pull that off very well.

Posted

:jacked:

Posted

#2: your angsting such angsty angsted angst.