The Legend of Zelda: Renaissance

474 posts in this topic

Posted

Vincent listened as Ulia introduced herself, and kindly accepted her hand and shook it. "I can sort of see that. But if you ever need an archer, I'm your man, I guess..." He spoke, his cheeks becoming a brighter pink in color, but didn't take long to disappear, as he smiled at her.

Posted

"So... Any chance that I could try it? I mean, I know it's hard to fill a cup that's already full, I've been taught swordplay ever since I was six, but maybe you could teach me a bit? I've always had a slight interest in archery, even if it's not really my style." She noticed his cheeks getting a bit brighter, and hoped she wasn't leaving the wrong impression, but she really wanted to try the bow, so she pressed on anyway.

Posted

Kira let a small smile appear on her lips for a second, then dissipate. Her hand went to a slit in her dress, slipped inside it then back out, now holding a short sword with strange blue markings on it. "I can fight, plus I do know some medical techniques."

Posted

Vincent heard when Ulia wondered if she could try it, and right away, he had nothing against it. “Of course, though most of my archery skills are self taught, so yeah… Perhaps when we get to Kakariko, I could get Smithy to make you a bow for you to use. I also run a target range there as well, and though it’s not as profitable as a smith apprentice, I could allow your first couple of tries free of charge. I’ll tell you more should we get there, but for now, I’ll teach you the basics… Ummm, can you set up the targets again, if it’s possible, and also get my arrows while you’re at it?

Posted (edited)

"Excellent! I'll be glad to have you with us. I'm Darius." He responded excitedly, holding out his hand to shake hers. "Judging by how quick you pulled that knife out, I know you'll be a great addition to the team."

-------------------------------------

"Alright..." Ulia began, "So, I'm supposed to hold the bow with my left hand, and pull the string back with the arrow in it using my right fingers?"

It seemed simple enough. She gave it a try, aiming for a close target. She raised up, pulled back on the string and let loose. The string responded with a resounding FWANG! It was a dramatic sound, but the arrow wasn't nearly as heroic, as it fell to the ground. She stood there, looking up at the target, then down at the arrow, over and over again.

"Umm... Did I do something wrong?"

Moron, of course you did something wrong..., she disciplined herself in her head.

Edited by Jo-Bengt (see edit history)

Posted

Vincent saw as Ulia held his bow and prepared an arrow, but when she pulled back, she released the string too soon, which caused the arrow to drop to the ground. "Yes you did, but let me help you out here..." He spoke, positioning his body so it was like hers, with one hand over each of hers. He made sure that the arrow was in place on the string, so it wouldn't go anywhere so fast. "Okay, now just keep a firm grasp on the end of the arrow until you pulled the string back enough..." He spoke, trying his best not to interfere with her aiming at all. "Now, when you think that the string is back enough, release the arrow and it should soar through the wind with little effort." He spoke, releasing her hands to watch the results.

Posted (edited)

She fired, watching the arrow soar and hit the target one one of the middle rings.

"Awesome!" She beamed. "I mean, it wasn't great, but hey!" She experimented, trying it with different pulls of the string. It got closer and closer to bullseye, until it finally hit the mark. "Amazing," she breathed. "Well, thanks!" She rejoiced, handing him his bow back. "It was great, I'll definitely try it again in Kakariko. Well, considering I'll finally be getting out of this place! It was nice meeting you, Vincent. Thanks again!" She ran off, waving as she left.

Hmm... I might actually be able to pull this archery business off one day.

((I've gotta go to bed, man. I've got school tomorrow, so yeah. I know, school on a saturday, it's BS, but we're having to do it because of snow days. Meh.))

Posted

Vincent watched as the arrow soared, and when it the target, he smiled as she went one, trying different variations until she got a bullseye. He smiled at that and watched as she handed his bow back to him, and listened to her say that she just might try it again when they get to Kakariko. He waved back at her when she walked off, and went over to the target to get the arrows which she shot and placed them in his quiver.

Posted

The short hooded creature shuffled over to the closet, pushing away junk and pots in search of the pick. Grabbing its smooth, iron handle he wrenched the tool from its place, only to bring down the remainder of the closet’s contents down upon his head.

“Owch!

Posted

((This Subrosian world is sounding pretty cool. What's this portal gonna look like when we see it?))

Ulia walked over to her house, where a dummy lie in wait for her to practice with. She pulled out her sword and refreshed her memory on some techniques, one where she sweeps her foot to trip someone then goes for the impale, or uses the spin that she's already building up to make a slash stronger if the trip misses. She reaves around the dummy, making sure she's got her speed up and ready, throwing in a few kicks for good measure. Then she does something similar with the spin trick she did earlier. She spins, swings, then spins and swings again for the head, cleaving it right off of the dummy.

Satisfied, she continued her walks around town.

Posted

((The portals look like small wirlpools of black and blue water, and spin you around very quickly when you step into them. In Subrosia, they are out in the open, but the locals ignore them. In Hyrule they are well hidden, and won't simply be stubbled upon while looking around. They warp whatever goes in them to the floor of Subrosia, creating an oddity if anything is only half-way through, as one part will be sticking out of the ground in Subrosia, while the other will appear to be burried in the earth.))

((I'd like one last post before the portal is discovered, just to get Aros to the mountians. If the map we've thoughtout is correct, then he is still geographically in the middle of Holodrum- sending him North-West should let him reach roughly the area near Ordon. Would you prefer that the rest of the party discover the portal first and come into Subrosia, or have Aros come up to the surface? I'd like to see the characters' reactions to the different worlds.))

Posted

Kira looked at Darius' hand for a moment before taking it in hers and shaking it. Her other hand with the knife in it quickly slipped it back inside its sheath. "Kira Fae, nice to meet you."

(Yes, the last name is different on purpose.)

Posted (edited)

"Nice to meet you, too," he replied with a friendly tone. "I've got to attend to the others in the party. You know, make sure they're ready. Do whatever you need to prepare, I'll check back later."

Darius walked on and saw Ulia, the other new girl, walking away from a disfigured dummy. It had slashes in it's torso and abdominals, and was missing a head. He smiled. Maybe she was right. Maybe she'll be the one looking after me.

"Yep. He's dead," Darius remarked as he walked up to her

"About as dead as dead gets," she chuckled.

"Are you ready for the forest?"

"I've been ready for years. How much experience do you have, anyway?"

"Honestly, I've only killed two Gerudo thieves, and that was yesterday. Saka, the zora, helped me kill the second. This is my first job. What about you?"

"I've never killed anyone, but I've been training since I was six. Add that to farming and goat herding, and I'd say I'm pretty strong."

"How old are you now?"

"Eighteen. I would've left a lot sooner, but Ordonian tradition forbids me."

"You're eighteen. You became a full citizen when you were sixteen. Why did you stay if you were perfectly free to? Isn't it illegal for them to just hold you here if you want to leave?"

"Treaties and agreements have allowed us to retain traditions, although I wish some were just banished like this waiting until twenty crap."

"Were I you, I'd feel the same way. Well, I was just checking in, making sure you were ready. I'll see you when we head out."

"Alright, have fun."

Darius went to find Vincent, and headed toward the area they first entered Ordon in. Once he found Vincent, he might be able to find Saka. Then they could get this started.

He was tired of waiting.

((Whichever you prefer, Ivo. You say it'd be hard for them to find a portal, and since they wouldn't be looking for it, I think it'd make more sense for Aros to discover them.))

It wasn't long at all until he spotted Vincent practicing his archery.

"Vincent! You ready to roll, man?"

Posted

Vincent remained there for a while, trying to improve on his archery, though his best record here was eleven shots for ten targets. And when Darius came up, he had just recieved the last arrow which he shot, before saying, "But of course, I've been waiting since before dawn. I am... a light sleeper you could say, I'm just used to Smithy waking me up at around that time to get the materials from the Gorons of Death Mountain, is all..." He spoke, even though he was a ways away from Kakariko anyways. "Smithy's probably disappointed that I wasn't back for that, but if I'm late, or if I forget to go, the Gorons go down and deliver the materials." He explained, scratching the back of his head as he put the bow on his shoulder.

Posted

"Alright, once I check up on Saka, we'll be all set to move out."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ulia! Stop!" Otto, the village rancher, barked, getting a grip on her biceps to hold her there.

"Go ahead and stop me! I've been waiting for this day, and I'm sick of waiting!" she yelled back, wrenching her right arm free and using it to land a hook right to "the button," the point of his chin, knocking him down instantly. She shook her hand and ran off into the forest, ready to fight.

Thanks for the warm-up, Otto.

She kept running for a few minutes until finally slowing to a jog, then a brisk walk. She kept walking on.

Rustling in the bushes, the slight trace of movement going across her peripheral. Company.

So this will be what they ran into...

She began to unsheathe her precious sword that was owned by her father, his father before him, and so on and so forth. Then it struck her.

I'm insane. What was I thinking?! Just run out here into the unknown with no backup, and see how I do?! Shit! I'm dead!

Suddenly, the sound of what can only be described as a giant spit resounded from the bushes, and a brown sphere just barely missed her head and smashed into the tree behind her.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Darius!! Darius!!" Otto bellowed as loudly as he could. Despite the fact that she just pretty much punched his lights out, he had to do something to save Ulia's life. He had to alert her party. Thank gods for the toughness built up from being knocked down by the goats, or he would still be laying in the grass.

"What? What happened?!" Darius yelled back, still a ways away and running.

"Ulia! She's gone! Ran into the forest!"

"Dammit! Alright, we'll go get her!" He turned around and sprinted off in the opposite direction to give his directions to Vincent.

"Vincent!! Listen up! That new girl, Ulia! She's gone, ran into the forest! I'm going after her! Gather up the party and move out, I'll blow my horn when I regroup with her." He didn't give Vincent a chance to respond. Vince had his orders, he was going to listen.

Hopefully...

---------------------------------------------

These things... These creatures... They were humanoid, but they were like trees. Their skin was wooden, their hair seemed to be leaves, and their eyes glowed. Their mouths, however, were like hollow trunks that spat out these strange spheres at her. She dodged one and swung at the shooter, just barely missing as it jumped back. Then a sphere hit her back, knocking her forward. The one in front of her wasn't slow to respond, shooting her as well. She was knocked onto the ground, and rolled to avoid further damage.

Dammit! I really am going to die out here! I've gotta do something! Anything!

Her mind roared at her, but her body only whispered. She couldn't take much more punishment. She had to fight back. Had to do something.

I won't die. Not here, not ever, not until my body's bones collapse from age. Never in a fight.

She had that look in her eye. Resolve. Determination. She wasn't going to fall.

A sphere shot at her, but she brought up the flat of her blade to block it. Another came at her from behind, and she spun around, slashing it. She didn't give the backshooter much time to respond. She lunged, using her charge to build up momentum and swinging in a diagonal slash when she was close.

She expected the little tree-thing to dodge. She knew it was coming.

It jumped back.

Yes!

She got low and swept her leg around, tripping the beast and chaining the sweep with an impale to the chest.

"Stay silent and die." She spoke softly, expressing clear hatred for the enemy.

She turned to face the other one, but saw a hylian in a white shirt jump out and drive a short blade into its neck. Darius.

"So you finally show up," she remarked.

"Yeah, finally," he chuckled. "You sure as hell didn't take any time."

"Some of us prefer action to sleep."

"Hey, I like my sleep. It's awesome."

They slowly backed into each other's backs, facing the opposite directions at the now-appearing reinforcements. Darius drew his longsword and held it in his left hand, while his short blade was held by the right. He figured it'd make more sense to hold the heavier weapon with his stronger hand.

"Company," Ulia clarified.

"Yeah, I got two on my side."

"I've got three."

"Damn, I was hoping to upstage you."

"Don't count on it."

Darius charged, jumping into the air and thrusting his longsword into the enemy on the left who, luckily, happened to be the closest. He quickly slashed with his short blade and stopped a sphere from hitting him. Not giving the creature any time, he threw his short blade at it, letting it sail through the air and into it's skull.

Ulia charged and slashed the one in the middle, sending it to the ground. She kicked the one on the left, and swung at the one on the right, cutting it as well. Quickly, she spun and lunged at the final one, impaling it before it could react.

Darius collected his weapons. Then he froze. Looking up, he saw that there were easily a dozen of them surrounding him and only him. He looked over to see Ulia on the same boat.

Oh man, he thought, this is not good...

Ulia remained silent, her eyes darting around for some kind of opening.

"Our leader wishes to speak with you," one of them spoke. Its voice was unlike any other Darius or Ulia had ever heard. It seemed to float on the breeze, blend in with the nature around him. It made them think of peaceful forests, not the beasts that had ambushed them.

Darius spoke first, not giving the hot-headed Ulia any time to piss them off. "Very well." As to why they would wish to speak with him after they had just killed many of their people, he had no idea.