Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Division

32 posts in this topic

Posted

You see a lot of division in the world. Division of nationality, political views, sexuality, popularity, etc.

So, is this really good for us? Division of nationality and politics ultimately lead to war, as demonstrated by wars in the past such as both World Wars, and even the war that the US is involved in currently. Division through sexuality and popularity lead to much more personal issues, like ostracizing and bullying.

Ultimately we're left divided, whatever the reason, whether the division is small or large. But why should this be? Discuss.

Posted

Nationality - Keeps things interesting and exciting in my opinion. Though it can lead to war and such.

Political - Stupid. People don't even know the sides anyways and people still disagree within parties all the time. I say just get rid of the parties and tell people what your personal beliefs are

Sexuality - A very good thing. Without it, there would be a lot more immorality. Christian answer, of course. Don't be offended, that's just my beliefs.

Popularity - Stupid. Why can't people just be nice and friendly and accepting to everyone?

Anyways, division can lead to problems, but it keeps us unique. Don't you want to have your own identity?

Posted

Yeah I do, I see what you mean. Every coin has two sides, so division definitely has its ups.

But I guess sexuality may have not been the right word, sexual orientation, maybe? Like when you see people pick on a gay guy, that kind of division.

And yeah, people should say their own political beliefs and be themselves.

Posted

Division of nationality allows for a diversity of government systems, and gives people more choice of what system under which they want to live. As for politics, well, people will believe what they want to believe. As for parties, they cut down on votes being split between multiple candidates with similar viewpoints.

Edit: Yeah, people shouldn't attack other people over sexual orientation.

Posted

But I guess sexuality may have not been the right word, sexual orientation, maybe? Like when you see people pick on a gay guy, that kind of division.

I don't think anyone should be persecuted. I do think there should be division though in that case.

Posted

I think there should be a war for the sexuality division. This must be stopped!

Posted

A war? No. War is bad. A protest maybe, but not a war. And besides, homosexuals have been granted equal rights to those who are heterosexual. There's nothing to have a war about. All you can really do is wait for gays to be socially accepted by the general population.

Posted

I guess so...

Posted

Jared, no one wants to sit by you and hear you talk about how hot guys are. That's the whole point of the division. To have a war over it would be completely idiotic, because what the hell would you even be fighting over? It's not like if all the homosexuals banded together against the heteros they would come out on top...you're a minority. And even if you happened to win this war, what new policy would you implement? That straight people had to sit and respect gay people for being gay?

You've got to have something more important in your life than your sexuality.

Posted

Division is sooooo 20th century.

Posted

Some times, I feel embarrassed to be a part of these forums. Like now.

This. Reading every post in this topic makes me rage.

Posted

You see a lot of division in the world. Division of nationality, political views, sexuality, popularity, etc.

So, is this really good for us? Division of nationality and politics ultimately lead to war, as demonstrated by wars in the past such as both World Wars, and even the war that the US is involved in currently. Division through sexuality and popularity lead to much more personal issues, like ostracizing and bullying.

Ultimately we're left divided, whatever the reason, whether the division is small or large. But why should this be? Discuss.

Nationality- People have always had an attachement to where they live. Nations grew because every tribe, town, and what not had their own government, then through alliance or military conquest, these governments expanded to a point where they either had no desire to grow, reached a natural boundary, or reached an area they could not defeat, or colonize. Nationality is just the way of the world, it's part of how the human psyche has evolved.

Politics- The two party system in America is broken, but politics is just another way of saying "opinion", everyone is going to have their own views about everything, humans as a whole are intelligent beings, and due to this, politics will always exist, until someone finds a way to brainwash everyone into thinking the exact same thing.

Sexuality- Again, different people, it's culture. There are always going to be people who feel homosexuality is wrong, or are awkward around homosexuals. Just shut up and live your life. I still say that it's funny the things minorities can do that the majority can't. By God, if I was going to hold a straight pride rally, I'd be crucified.

Popularity- If more people like you than other people, you will be called popular. In high school, yeah, a lot is based on looks and what not, but for a majority of people, popularity doesn't really matter, having a few good close friends is better than a hundred people you know, kinda. Popularity will always divide people up in high school, but again, it is human nature, no different then the hunters staying with the hunters, the gatherers with the gatherers, any human social structure will have hierarchy to it. It's how we are built.

Is it good for us, well you can decide, but think about this: The reason for division, of any kind, is the mind, and the way we(humans) act as a social unit, the only way to not have division, is to isolate ourselves from society. Society itself is a kind of social contract where one enters in, and maintains themselves at a certain level, and follows certain rules so as to gain the benefits from society.

The only way to not have division, is to remove the human personality. So which would you rather have; No opinions or personality or free speech OR free will, free speech, and your own, individual personality?

Posted

A war? No. War is bad. A protest maybe, but not a war. And besides, homosexuals have been granted equal rights to those who are heterosexual. There's nothing to have a war about. All you can really do is wait for gays to be socially accepted by the general population.

In a lot of places, homosexuals don't have equal rights. Gays can't marry in the states, for one. War will only divide us further though. Sex should be divided (Male or Female bathrooms, for example) Gender/Sexual orientation shouldn't be divided at all. That would bring us back to before the civil rights movement, when blacks and whites had separate bathrooms, schools, etc. Only this time, it'd be heterosexuals vs. everyone who isn't straight.

Posted

Really? Not in the U.S.? I thought Obama legalized it. I don't know, it's legal in Canada. At least, British Columbia. I think.

Posted

You have no knowledge of U.S. politics, it seems. Gays can't even be 'open and out' in the military...