Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Where does God come from?

265 posts in this topic

Posted

Religion sounds just as implausible. I would say more, really, because your religion pretty much includes that part in addition to the God factor.

In the beginning, there was God, and there was always God, because God created God or God had just always been God and God made the universe in seven Earth days, which hadn't even been created yet, and made this infinitely big universe for an infinitesimally small amount of life forms, and then put two people with human emotions into a garden with a big tree and put a "no touch" sign on it, but then he is almighty and omnipotent/omnipresent and somehow didn't know what they were up to and didn't predict that giving people curiosity could lead to such a catastrophic event, then proceeded to unleash death and decay upon a race he inherently loves.

Ugh I do not want to spark religious debate.

Not here, at least.

Sahaqiel

How about here then?

"As Man is, God once was." Part of a phrase I have heard throughout my life.

We will go down, for there is space there, and we will take of these materials, and we will make an earth whereon these may dwell; And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them; And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever (Abraham 3:24-26).

And in that day Adam blessed God and was filled, and began to prophesy concerning all the families of the earth, saying: Blessed be the name of God, for because of my transgression my eyes are opened, and in this life I shall have joy, and again in the flesh I shall see God. And Eve, his wife, heard all these things and was glad, saying: Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient (Moses 5:10, 11).

"If Adam had not transgressed he would not have fallen, but he would have remained in the Garden of Eden. And all things which were created must have remained in the same state in which they were after they were created; and they must have remained forever, and had no end" (2 Ne. 2:22; cf. Moses 3:9).

"Because that Adam fell, we are" (Moses 6:48).

"All things have been done in the wisdom of him who knoweth all things" (2 Ne. 2:24).

So, basically, God somehow aquired His Godhood through a process we are in fact experiencing right now on Earth. Some time after assuming said divinity, He organized the pre-mortal spirits together, thus creating our souls. He wanted us to become like Him, as we were completely innocent and unable to grow in Heaven, so He devised a plan. This plan was to create a Earth where we could go down and take on bodies to experience suffering and pain and death and all that other good stuff. This would be a test to see if we would follow all of His commandents and become worthy of exaltation. So He created the Earth and placed Adam and eventually Eve there to begin the traffic of spirits down from Heaven and into mortality. But they were still innocent and immortal, incapable of having children (you can't very well allow immortals to reproduce, or they would flood the entire planet and choke it with over population that would consume all the Earth's resources). But this wasn't a problem- the Lord was prepared. He had also planted in the Garden a tree which had fruit that could give them knowledge of good and evil, but told them not to eat it, or they would be stripped of their immortality and innocence. Then Satan shows up to tempt them into eating it anyway (because he can't very well get the party started and intice people into Hell if they never die or are never born). So, all according to plan, Adam and Eve both eat the fruit, fall, and thus usher in the human race to begin their journey in mortality and eventualy grow to become more like the Heavenly Father.

Death and decay= good

The fall of humanity= as was intended

At least that is how I understand the matter.

Posted

Y'see, God was just a normal man like most... He had the same interests as most... Internets, video gmaes, womenz, and a lot more... However, one day, he was in a bar fight... It was a fierce battle between himself and the being known as Santa Claus. To put it short, he eventually lost and was forced to eat living flesh in order to recover. THEN THAT'S WHEN IT HAPPENED, his teeth sunk into the lovely meat of a radioactive rat... This is when he ASCENDED above all others... This is... The Birth of God. The evolution of some random mexican named Jesus to the Legendary Pokemon we all refer to as GOD.

Believe it! Dattebayo!

As for where he came from...? I'll let science decide that.

Posted

"As Man is, God once was." Part of a phrase I have heard throughout my life.

I've never heard this in my life.

I am fairly sure that most faiths place God as being the deity that always was there, with no origin story of it present anywhere.

The closest thing that comes to it is how some gods were born from god/god-human affairs and all that juicy stuff in Hellenistic religion.

I would say the concept of a god is just the human mechanism of trying to explain what is unknown.

For instance, there is actually a tribe of people on a secluded island that made trials mimicking aircraft signals, because aircraft came in and magically provided food to them one day, and will go so far as to make the same vocal commands. (ie: "Roger")

They made a primitive scouting post and runway and everything, to appease the plane-gods.

I personally hope there is a godlike being, because otherwise, it's kinda' boring, but then, that's just my human nature acting up again. The sun doesn't shine because I want it to.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Y'see, God was just a normal man like most... He had the same interests as most... Internets, video gmaes, womenz, and a lot more... However, one day, he was in a bar fight... It was a fierce battle between himself and the being known as Santa Claus. To put it short, he eventually lost and was forced to eat living flesh in order to recover. THEN THAT'S WHEN IT HAPPENED, his teeth sunk into the lovely meat of a radioactive rat... This is when he ASCENDED above all others... This is... The Birth of God. The evolution of some random mexican named Jesus to the Legendary Pokemon we all refer to as GOD.

Believe it! Dattebayo!

As for where he came from...? I'll let science decide that.

I assume you came to this account by experience, as you maintain being the one true god yourself. I feel real sorry for Arcane now. He going to eventually eat a radioactive rat. Another entry in the Old Testament of Vio Milanor.

Posted

Another entry in the Old Testament of Vio Milanor.

Which will eventually be editted by the Lord veself, so that it sounds awesome and wins the public over.

Posted

What did I say about quoting whole posts?

You can break it up and respond to specific parts, or refer to one part of the quote and answer the rest of it, but that big quote box right there is just wasting space.

Posted

Sorry. :embarrassed:

I've never heard this in my life.

I am fairly sure that most faiths place God as being the deity that always was there, with no origin story of it present anywhere.

The closest thing that comes to it is how some gods were born from god/god-human affairs and all that juicy stuff in Hellenistic religion.

Sahaqiel

Evidently, you haven't heard many LDS sermons. I'd suggest Youtube, but only if your curious.

Another oft' repeated phrase- "Insure the milk is given before the meat." At this I have failed.

Posted

... I did good, right? :C Ivo was the bad one?

Muwahaha, proof that I surpass the imitation!?

Posted

Evidently, you haven't heard many LDS sermons. I'd suggest Youtube, but only if your curious.

Sermons aren't the laws of religion, are they?

I thought the law was up to written concrete texts.

Posted

If the sermon is canonized, yes, they are. But I was refering to how you were unfamiliar with the phrase- it is used quite often at General Confrences.

Posted

Why would a sermon be canonized after the event that started the religion?

Do the sermon givers claim to be part of the same flesh as their God?

Posted

Prophets have spoken for God since the dawn of the religion. Moses, Elijah, Isaiah, Malachi, Alma, John, Peter, Joseph, Brigham, Monson, and all of them in-between. They write the scriptures, they speak God's words, what they say can and is canonized at truth.

Posted

What I cannot understand is how people can live in this world, see its beauty, live and speak God's language and feel it everyday, and then say there is no God.

God's language is love, guys. Not just romantic, maternal/paternal, platonic, unconditional - all love. It is found everywhere. It is the essence of human spirit. Call me dreamy, but many of you were a creation of love. If I feel it everyday, I know it exists. And the source of where it began was from God. I agree with Ivo; in a way, we were born to die. But what we do between the day of our birth to our final breath is what matters. I think it is spreading love, my Lord's creation. And by doing that, they can understand the Christian spirit.

That's just what I think. I just don't understand why other people don't get that.

Posted

And what better way to spend the short lived, fleeting life you're provided in between birth and death, than to work for yourself and others? You're right, God is too selfish. Why should I work for someone who throws us in a pit of despair?

I don't care if there's a God or not. I'll do what I am meant to do. I was given a brain for thinking. I was given hands for working. I was given legs for moving. I was given a heart for feeling.

I just want to make the most out of it.

Posted

Yes, it is unselfish, but there is satisfaction in doing good. Plus, there is something better afterward. This is only a step, in my opinion.

Sure, you get into shitty situations, but instead of being angsty and selfish about it, you learn trough Him that there are better chances and that obstacles overcome makes one stronger.

I'm not trying to change you, Sahaqiel, I am only stating what I believe in. This is how I live my life.