Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

PC version. Valve is way better at PC games than they are with xbox.

I'd imagine TF2 is very different on an xbox as opposed to a pc or mac. Having an analogue stick to move your character would mean different run speeds, right? Like characters actually walking, or sneaking, instead of just running or stopping like what happens with wasd. I never figured out if there was a way to walk with wasd, yet I see people doing it sometimes in game.

Posted

It's not even that issue. It's the fact that you wont ever get to play online if you get the xbox version. There are barely any servers up and they are almost always empty. If you want to actually play, get the PC version.

Posted

plus the xbox version doesn't have hats. YOU GOTTA HAVE HATS, MAN.

pink_hat_by_don_komandorr-d4q9is2.jpg

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Posted

No Hats? I was about to mention that while the mac/pc version gets updates and things, the xbox gets bug fixes and stuff, but I didn't mention it because I know so little about the xbox version that I didn't know for sure if that was even true. I mean what could I really confidently say I know about the xbox version? And these are just the issues between tf2 xbox and tf2 mac/pc. I'm not certain what the status is on the other games of the orange box(I know portal probably runs fine, but if portal ever had dlc, it sure probably didn't get it), but I know that you would be way better off just getting the orange box for your computer off steam. TF2 probably has the highest replay value of the games offered within anyways.

What are your preconceptions of steam that you don't want to use it, or that you count it as a negative criterion?

Posted

Don't really have any conceptions of Steam except PokeFan signed on it once about two years ago, and we haven't seen him since. As far as I know it's like the PC equivalent of PSN or Xbox live.

Posted

It's a fine thing. Just use it for games.

Posted

Steam is sorta like xbox live.

Well...

No. It's not.

Steam is completely free and practically pelts you with great games at unreasonably low prices.

Xbox live wants you to pay $60 dollars just to play online for a year.

Steam has quality voice chat.

Xbox live has McDonalds-Drive-Thru quality voice chat.

When you play online on Steam, you end the game session on a happy note, having had a fun time.

When you play online on xbox live, you get a bad taste at the back of your throat, with a freshly tied noose that you had been subconsciously tying during loading screens.

I could do these all day.

Posted

You're completely biased. Steam has numerous flaws, like not letting you play your games offline, forced updates and inconvenient crashes.

Posted

Is that, by any chance, the source of the name subtle engineer?

Haha, no, unfortunately it's not. I like engineers. They tend to be useful, and have really awesome gadgets. And they fix stuff.

I do play almost only engineer in Battlefield 3, though, and when looking into Guild Wars 2, the engineer class immediately caught my eye.

god, I'm glad you didn't see the thread before changing your name. Subtle Engineer is actually nice! Pheosucks... don't indulge that side of knuckle, rule #1 of hnet.

but yeah I also am asking if your name is from tf2? if so let's play together one dayy :3c if not, it's fun and you should look it up/try it out! lots of members here play together... if we can be bothered actually arranging it. well, maybe just me. BUT STILL I recommend it!

Note taken. Thanks :D

I've tried TF2 before, and shamefully for some unknown reason I didn't get too far into it. I think it was the server. This was also a really long time ago. BUT. I know that it's a really awesome game. So i respect it, and I love its art style.

But yeah, TF2 is way better on PC than it is on xbox, I've heard. Hats are a definite plus for PC. Plus, I think it gets more support, maintainance, people, and just sheer awesomeness on PC. I'm also fairly certain that imaginary tumbleweeds are blowing across the unplayed maps and servers of the xbox version, so PC is the obvious choice with TF2.

I'm not a big PC multiplayer gamer, though. This is probably due to the fact that most of my friends play xbox.

Aaaaaand this is why I miss out on 64-player matches in BF3. >_<

Posted

I got The Orange Box a few days ago in the sale for my Mac and I haven't regret it one bit! It's absolutely amazing. But I would definitely recommend getting the PC version because all valve games are best played there. Also there are countless PC servers and players however the Valve Xbox community us pretty small.

Posted

You're completely biased. Steam has numerous flaws, like not letting you play your games offline, forced updates and inconvenient crashes.

Who's biased?

Steam does not control what each developer/publisher does with their game. That said, it has an "offline" mode, and if the creators of whatever game you want to play let you play it offline (read: anybody other than Ubisoft or Blizzard), you can play it offline on Steam. There's nothing hindering you on Steam's end.

Forced updates, I'll give you that. But that's with just about anything. If you own a computer, you update to the latest firmware. PS3, update to the latest firmware. My Firefox browser just updated to the latest firmware. Xbox 360 updates to the latest firmware. You get the point. Everything updates, it sucks, but live with it.

Inconvenient crashes: This is with PC gaming in general. You get used to dealing with it. There's almost always a simple solution that you can find with a quick search of the internet. Also, my PS3 and 360 freeze up all the time. It's based on many different factors that are hard to control (but often simple to fix, like a reboot) so it's not really worth complaining about, especially since those forced updates tend to iron out any inconvenient crashes.

I got The Orange Box a few days ago in the sale for my Mac and I haven't regret it one bit! It's absolutely amazing. But I would definitely recommend getting the PC version because all valve games are best played there. Also there are countless PC servers and players however the Valve Xbox community us pretty small.

Just so you know, any game you purchase for Mac/PC on Steam is automatically compatible with the other system. So if you own Team Fortress 2 on Mac, you own it on PC.

Can you tell I love Valve?

If you can't, I love Valve.

Posted

Valve is pretty cool guys I reckon

Posted

Who's biased?

Steam does not control what each developer/publisher does with their game. That said, it has an "offline" mode, and if the creators of whatever game you want to play let you play it offline (read: anybody other than Ubisoft or Blizzard), you can play it offline on Steam. There's nothing hindering you on Steam's end.

Forced updates, I'll give you that. But that's with just about anything. If you own a computer, you update to the latest firmware. PS3, update to the latest firmware. My Firefox browser just updated to the latest firmware. Xbox 360 updates to the latest firmware. You get the point. Everything updates, it sucks, but live with it.

Inconvenient crashes: This is with PC gaming in general. You get used to dealing with it. There's almost always a simple solution that you can find with a quick search of the internet. Also, my PS3 and 360 freeze up all the time. It's based on many different factors that are hard to control (but often simple to fix, like a reboot) so it's not really worth complaining about, especially since those forced updates tend to iron out any inconvenient crashes.

Dr Shrubbery is biased.

Also, have you used their offline mode? To get in offline mode, you have to first be in ONLINE mode. If you go away to a place with no internet for a few days and you have to restart your computer, it won't start. How stupid is it that an offline mode requires an internet connection to start?

Also, I'm not saying nothing else has flaws. I'm just sick of hearing people praise Steam and Valve like it's the best thing...because it's not, and it has just as many flaws as other things.

That being said, I'm utterly dependant on them for my PC gaming and I am grateful for how well they HAVE done.

Posted

THis is ironic, but I can't manage to get to sleep -.-

It always irritated me how I can't play my steam games when I can't get internet. Don't get me wrong, though, steam's a great system.