Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

It's awful to lose someone that important to you; if you need any support we're all here Jared :sadlink:

Posted

Thanks guys. :/

Posted

Woo I'm on Summer break! Though I'm still not free. Tomorrow is prom and even though I'm not going, somehow I'm being forced to go to dinner with 6 other people. I'm the unnecessary seventh wheel. Though to make up for it, on Saturday me and three friends are playing Brawl all day. :D

Anyway hi guys.

Teto likes this

Posted

I hope you don't regret not going to prom when you're like 40 years old. Brawl is good though, and there can be no wrong in spending a day on that.

I've still got my exam to do for Psychology, which is the one academic thing I've been doing this year. As the year went on I cared less and less about doing it, because it was just something to fill in part of my week, and a subject I wanted to try out. Didn't take me long to decide that I wouldn't want to take it further, but I enjoyed learning about it while I did it. But now it's the run up to the exam I find myself struggling to find the motivation to study. I don't even care about passing this class; that was never really why I took it. I just wanted the knowledge for what it was, and I don't need the qualification for anything else I want to do in the future. I've already got what I want out of it.

But I'll give the exam the best go I can muster up. I'll take it as a personal challenge/test of character/character building exercise to try and succeed at something I don't particularly care about. Try and find a way to deal with stress without flat out ignoring it, or dropping the stressor altogether by dropping the class. Might as well build my character on something less important than the challenges I'll eventually face in later life.

Also, jokes

10329195_10152348153330255_8136742525971

Knuckle, pheonix561 and Sayubie like this

Posted

Honestly, prom was nothing to write home about to me. Just a bunch of dumb teenagers dry-humping to way too loud music. Food was alright though.

Jareddude likes this

Posted

^ this

Also my family's getting our new puppy in about 14 hours! I'm super excited omg. Shall I post pictures when I we get her?

Teto likes this

Posted

please :o

Posted

I hope you don't regret not going to prom when you're like 40 years old. Brawl is good though, and there can be no wrong in spending a day on that.

I've still got my exam to do for Psychology, which is the one academic thing I've been doing this year. As the year went on I cared less and less about doing it, because it was just something to fill in part of my week, and a subject I wanted to try out. Didn't take me long to decide that I wouldn't want to take it further, but I enjoyed learning about it while I did it. But now it's the run up to the exam I find myself struggling to find the motivation to study. I don't even care about passing this class; that was never really why I took it. I just wanted the knowledge for what it was, and I don't need the qualification for anything else I want to do in the future. I've already got what I want out of it.

But I'll give the exam the best go I can muster up. I'll take it as a personal challenge/test of character/character building exercise to try and succeed at something I don't particularly care about. Try and find a way to deal with stress without flat out ignoring it, or dropping the stressor altogether by dropping the class. Might as well build my character on something less important than the challenges I'll eventually face in later life.

Also, jokes

10329195_10152348153330255_8136742525971

Well I wasn't invited to prom. That's why I didn't go. High schoolers have to take post graduates to prom and giving my history no one would want to take me anyway. Though, before I go I have to go to my grandmother for Mother's Day.

Posted

Wait you guys are forced to take post graduates to prom? That's really weird. I knew seniors who took sophomores to prom!

Posted

I can see seniors only but postgrads? That is really unusual. 

Where are you from again?

Posted

How do proms work? I don't understand your foreign customs. You and your strange American traditions. Funny Americans.

Posted

It's like a Ceilidh but only for people near to completing their grade schooling and it features less traditional dancing.

Teto likes this

Posted

No, it's just traditional in all countries except Scotland to not do Scottish dancing. Weird non conformists.

But yeah I know what you mean. We had an "end of year dance" which isn't an official name but just what people called it. Wasn't a graduation thing because we didn't really do high school graduation (at my school at least); it was just "leaving school". Not much of a ceremony about it. Just got a party at the end where you did whatever dance we did. I don't know if I went actually. It wasn't a big deal or a rite of passage or anything like I assume Prom is, so if I didn't go then it wasn't a big enough deal. (When writing this I remembered that I did go. We just rented out the one club in town for a Thursday night or something. It was a decent time. No traditional dancing; just nostalgic/normal dance music and general club atmosphere, but you know everybody there.)

Ceilidhs are cool. I haven't been to one in years.

The closest thing to a ceilidh I've been to recently would probably be my brother's wedding, where the Scots taught the Greeks how to do Scottish dancing, and the Greeks taught the Scots how to do Greek dancing. More Greeks were there so more Greek dancing was had. The wedding was held in the evening to escape the heat of the day, and the mayor of Athens was in attendance for some reason; I guess because there were Scottish people there so he made it into a kind of 'reaching out to our foreign friends' thing.

What I mean by not understanding Prom is like, this whole postgraduates/seniors/etc business. From what I know of American Culture and whatnot, post graduates would be people who left that year, seniors being the to-be seniors, and sophomores in like, year 2 of a 3-year system? My high school was a 6-year system, so that's another different thing.

Posted

No, it's just traditional in all countries except Scotland to not do Scottish dancing. Weird non conformists.

But yeah I know what you mean. We had an "end of year dance" which isn't an official name but just what people called it. Wasn't a graduation thing because we didn't really do high school graduation (at my school at least); it was just "leaving school". Not much of a ceremony about it. Just got a party at the end where you did whatever dance we did. I don't know if I went actually. It wasn't a big deal or a rite of passage or anything like I assume Prom is, so if I didn't go then it wasn't a big enough deal. (When writing this I remembered that I did go. We just rented out the one club in town for a Thursday night or something. It was a decent time. No traditional dancing; just nostalgic/normal dance music and general club atmosphere, but you know everybody there.)

Ceilidhs are cool. I haven't been to one in years.

The closest thing to a ceilidh I've been to recently would probably be my brother's wedding, where the Scots taught the Greeks how to do Scottish dancing, and the Greeks taught the Scots how to do Greek dancing. More Greeks were there so more Greek dancing was had. The wedding was held in the evening to escape the heat of the day, and the mayor of Athens was in attendance for some reason; I guess because there were Scottish people there so he made it into a kind of 'reaching out to our foreign friends' thing.

What I mean by not understanding Prom is like, this whole postgraduates/seniors/etc business. From what I know of American Culture and whatnot, post graduates would be people who left that year, seniors being the to-be seniors, and sophomores in like, year 2 of a 3-year system? My high school was a 6-year system, so that's another different thing.

Wow man, ceilidhs sound awesome.

Posted

Well not all Ceilidhs are at Greek weddings with the mayor of Athens. Usually it's just a bunch of men and women in skirts spinning in a warm wooden hall and a bunch of people playing accordions and fiddles and stuff. Not sure I've been to a proper ceilidh where actual musicians weren't already in attendance to supply music. So it's kind of like a traditional country/western themed thing.

America has culture, but none of it is unfamiliar to foreigners really, unless they have zero exposure to the media.