Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

YLA, are you Jon Snow's mother?

(someone get this)

I don't get it... xD

Postgrads are people who have already graduated High School.

I know they are.

Yeah YLA. Your prom system is really weird. I've never heard if a prom like that.

Is it? I thought all proms were like that. It's been that way for as long as I've known prom. It's the same way with Homecoming too. Though I think once you're past 21 you can't get in.

Posted

Yeah no. That's not normal

Posted

Normal is highly overrated!

Teto likes this

Posted

Normal is highly overrated!

"normal" is just a word it doesn't MEAN anything. Words don't have definitive 'MEANINGS'. Just because a word exists and is used doesn't mean it means anything at all. When people make words they don't necessarily make the words for a specific purpose. Words don't have meanings. I'm not weird stop labelling me. I don't need to change my character flaws; they are what makes me unique in my terribleness.

Posted

How can we see our reflections in mirrors, if our eyes aren't real?

-Jaden Smith

Teto, pheonix561 and Agent Zako like this

Posted

If I had a dollar for every time that specific Jayden smith quote was posted on this very website in some form, id have like 7$ lol

Posted

I thought that was maybe the 2nd but I might not be paying attention.

Posted

Eh, whatever. I haven't been here in a while, so I have a valid excuse.

So what's been going on? This place seems pretty slow lately. When I used to be really active some 5~ years ago there would 30+ online nearly always. What happened?

Posted

It was mostly that Hyrule Online stopped being worked on and that we stopped producing content. So now we're just a bunch of jaded tightly-knit folks who don't care to talk about Zelda as much and tend ignore new members.

Anyway, what does everyone think about the heart pips??

Posted

So what's been going on? This place seems pretty slow lately. When I used to be really active some 5~ years ago there would 30+ online nearly always. What happened?

knuckle happened

prepare to be sucked into the netherworld that is my realm of hyrule.net forever. but dont worry im a benevolent ruler and will provide you with puns and smut from on high

Also Saha the pips are wonderful. Really, I appreciate the rows of ten so that my OCD will be appeased now.

Posted

It was mostly that Hyrule Online stopped being worked on and that we stopped producing content. So now we're just a bunch of jaded tightly-knit folks who don't care to talk about Zelda as much and tend ignore new members.

Anyway, what does everyone think about the heart pips??

I'm not sure it's that new members are ignored but rather they aren't accosted by an enthusiastic welcoming team. It's not very realistic to expect that kind of reaction, and that's why making friends is so difficult. I'll talk to people if they do anything that draws my attention just as much as I'll talk to people I know if they draw my attention. It's just easier for familiar faces or characters to draw attention.

Like when Silver decided to rebrand as Gilded Grace and 'start fresh' (unaware of the fact that we're all people who shouldn't be messed around with like that (I did it myself a couple times)). I didn't shun GG for being new; I talked to them with the same kind of enthusiasm I would anybody else, because they approached us in a confident manner. Confidence is charisma, and if a new person came in with that kind of confidence they would immediately earn favor. Of course GG's 'confidence' came from Silver already knowing and being comfortable expressing himself on the forum, but in a new person, that knwoing confidence turns into charisma. That's what's so alluring about starting fresh in the first place - looking like you're confident and you know it all, and feeling like people respect you for that. As if that new chance will suddenly make you confident and charismatic. In reality the fresh start is a sign of low confidence; not believing that who you are in the moment is capable of being that confident new person; believing that your history of self-doubt and mistakes make you less worthy of respect and favor.

Like a lot of my posts about stuff, this is mostly blog post. Not a shot at you - I don't doubt that you know these things, and I don't think less of you for anything you said. But I just don't think we 'ignore' new members. We just don't rush to their arrival. And I know I just went on about confidence, and it'd be good to foster that confidence in new people, but that requires emotional involvement and energy, and it's not really what most of us are here for. Some people come along, strike a chord with the community, but don't stay. There's not much of a hook unless you get really involved with the people here. I guess what you suggest in encouraging people to stay is really just baring our souls to them so that they are encouraged by our openness and warmth to form an attachment to the community which will make it more difficult to leave.

Debate and drama is what makes people stay. Emotional involvement appeals to people more than humor and chat. Getting to know people's frailties and passions will lead to emotional attachment, and moreso you letting them know yours. Being emotional and real with one another will encourage new members to stay a lot more than a parade of "hello"s and "what's your favourite band"-type questions. That's all so superficial. As a community of people with nothing more to offer as entertainment than ourselves, debate and emotion is the only thing we have to offer that will make people stay, I think. And that's why we're so tight-knit; people only stay when close family-like bonds are formed. If this was a forum about Zelda discussion anymore, maybe that would be our holder, but I think we're all pretty aware of how well we would be able to sustain that with the people we have here.

2 cents.

Like honestly I think that most of the people who stay here nowadays have fallen out with other people who are still here. Not sure there's many regulars who haven't had emotional scenes with other people. In one line, drama is the glue that keeps people together.

Posted

When I say ignore, I kind of mean that we're just not very enthusiastic as a Zelda fan community. Someone will make a post, and we'll kind of try and get some discussion going, but we're obviously not as enthusiastic, and we're not as accommodating for fun fan stuff. We've definitely been a lot better as to treating new members better, but we just don't have a pull that feels like we're giving attention to what people want in a fan community. If I went here for the first time, my interests would drift far from discussing Zelda.

Successful fan communities, I feel, have a much more dramatic ratio of regulars-to-passerby. The passerby we get would still happen if we were an active fansite, but we need more of them for the place to thrive, obviously. Paradoxically, we probably don't want a huge pool of regulars to settle in, like we have. Regardless of whether we intentionally ignore them or not, it's still alienating. I'm sure that the regular-to-passerby ratio is like 1:100 on ZeldaUniverse. We've got like 10:1. We have much more emotional involvement, much more drama, as you said. And anyone who's new here isn't coming for any of that. I feel like it's the want to be part of a bigger community that you don't necessarily need to know by name, like the desire to move into a city. A sense of belonging without having to be emotionally involved. So in a sense, we ignore that. We're only interested in emotional involvement and can only offer shallow semblances of a bustling fan community in the passerby's presence that isn't apparent anywhere else on the boards.

Tappy and I have discussed a couple times what we'd like to change that would kind of have the best of both worlds; make it seem like a fun and interactive community without necessarily doing away with what we as regulars came to enjoy about the forums. But we need to shift our priorities a little too regardless of what happens.

Posted

Not trying to trivialize the work that Tappy does, but I think at this point it'd be easier for the small amount of users to just go to a new site and carve out a niche there. 

Posted

Roleplaying draws in more new members than any other facet of the site, if that means anything to you guys. Maybe we could encourage more activity in that forum?