Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

:sadlink:

Posted

Everyone who comes to role play always stays in the role playing threads anyways. They never talk to us outside of their game.

Posted

Roleplaying was always fun, but it only really worked out if a bunch of people you were comfortable with were in it.

Posted

Sure, I gather that's always the case in general. I think we just need to make those members more comfortable with the rest of the site.

Knuckle likes this

Posted

It might have just been me, but I always felt a certain "brothers in arms" sort of connection to people I roleplayed with. It made it easier to talk and interact with them in the rest of the forums for me. But I'm a major introvert who gets nervous posting online, haha, so it may not be the case with others.

Posted

Well, idk pheo, I'd rather not make it so that they adapt to us. That makes it--probably objectively--harder for us to get new members in general. They shouldn't have to get comfortable on our terms. How many people will turn off music if they don't like the first five seconds? We have to think accessibility. That's what we lack. If I came here for the first time I would be confused at how much... non-Zelda discussion there is. It works for close-knit friends, not a fan community.

The Roleplaying board is kind of like that, I would think. It's full of close-knit friends. They're so exclusive that I have no idea what the exclusive members are like there, and it's hard for me to get comfortable enough to go into the roleplaying board and find out. I've never seen a single post from any of the people there--Franne, HylianFromLandOfOoo, ButterflyBabyBlue--in other parts of the board, though they're definitely active in Roleplay. They're an anomalous group within an anomalous forum. I think they're a good model to observe when thinking of why we're unsuccessful as a fan community. Other than the lack of content.

Posted

Roleplaying was always fun, but it only really worked out if a bunch of people you were comfortable with were in it.

I think I remember when Doubleagent aka GMP joined an RP and roleplayed like a giant spiky armadillo that killed everybody. And I was roleplaying literal wolves. How lame was that. I don't know if you were there but it was very very gay. Roleplaying was good but thinking about it is surreal. Like who was the 'me' roleplaying all that time ago? Some homo, who knows.

I've been a bit drunk tonight. A little earlier I was standing with one foot on either side of a doorframe, bridging the transition between the inside and outside world, and I was thinking about stories. And for some reason somehow, I made an observation that stories are always about experience. If a story is about a dog, then the story relies on the author projecting human feelings on the dog. If it's about people, then it's about human experience. There are no stories about atoms flying through space and colliding with other atoms. Stories are always the recounting of experience. Nothing happens unless it is experienced by something capable of experience. Otherwise it's just stuff happening; there's no story in a bunch of chemical reactions.

[The human with the assigned name 'Janet'] emitted a combination of sounds which, when processed in the brain of [the human with the assigned name 'Jim'], resulted in a sequence of mental processes which made 'Jim' release hormones to confirm that this being identified as Janet was a good creature for eternal coexistence.

i.e. Jim loves Janet.

What a load of shit. Humans are the only reasons stories exist. I'm tired.

Roleplaying draws in more new members than any other facet of the site, if that means anything to you guys. Maybe we could encourage more activity in that forum?

The only input I have on that is pinning the active roleplaying threads. I feel like if I was roleplaying here it'd be nice if people recognised and approved of my activity, so I try to do a little of that by pinning the thread and making it of importance.

Knuckle likes this

Posted

I never thanked you for doing that did I? My bad, I really do appreciate you pinning active RP threads :)

Teto likes this

Posted

Rupee test.

Posted

In light of all the talk about the role-playing section I did make a thing. Check it out if you think you'd be into it.

Posted

I don't understand why you, Saha, keep acting as if we are such a bad community. We have a good time mostly, isn't that enough? We don't need to be growing or be the biggest forum on the internet. One day our forum will completely die out, but so do them all eventually. I just don't understand your concern or why you treat us as failures just because we don't care.

If you want new members then bring them yourself. Well try not to scare them away but I'm not gonna bend over backwards for them either. It's honestly not our fault when most of the new people make a single post and then leave. They don't care so why should we?

Posted

You don't have to be too concerned if you don't understand the reason. I'm not asking you personally to help, just as long as you don't actually scare anyone away.

I do think we should be growing as a site so we can continue to survive here. And yeah, I do bring new members in. A not insignificant portion of regulars are people I bring from my IRL group of friends. Pretty much, I came during Hnet's heyday, and it's never been that way since. I feel personal responsibility for it. That's about it, summarized. You could think of me as Hyrule.net's Hilda.

Posted

I don't understand why you, Saha, keep acting as if we are such a bad community. We have a good time mostly, isn't that enough? We don't need to be growing or be the biggest forum on the internet. One day our forum will completely die out, but so do them all eventually. I just don't understand your concern or why you treat us as failures just because we don't care.

If you want new members then bring them yourself. Well try not to scare them away but I'm not gonna bend over backwards for them either. It's honestly not our fault when most of the new people make a single post and then leave. They don't care so why should we?

No one is calling you guys failures, and we certainly can't make you do our bidding, however we can ask you to help us. Saha would like to get more people here to post as well as signup, this isn't just for new people. I think what Saha was saying previously saying, is that our current community is fairly close together which might make it hard for new people to join in on current topics.

Posted

I mean, yeah more people would be pretty cool but its not gonna happen.

But i do have a question-

Ive joined a few forums over my time but i never stick around, with here being the exception, but i often get emails from the other forums once or twice a year for each forum, telling me about new features and new topics and generally asking me to come back again. Does Hnet do this? Ive never got an "state of the union" email from Hnet. Is that something that might help bring back old people who have signed up?

Posted

That's a pretty good idea.

You should be able to see the Staff Discussion board near the bottom of the main forum page right? That's a place we could discuss these things.