Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

I mean, yeah more people would be pretty cool but its not gonna happen.

But i do have a question-

Ive joined a few forums over my time but i never stick around, with here being the exception, but i often get emails from the other forums once or twice a year for each forum, telling me about new features and new topics and generally asking me to come back again. Does Hnet do this? Ive never got an "state of the union" email from Hnet. Is that something that might help bring back old people who have signed up?

You can modify your notifications settings to send you emails for subscribed topics as well as other stuff: http://www.hyrule.net/forum/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications

Posted

That's pretty cool.

Posted

For a second I thought you did this yourself until I saw the signature on the bottom right. How come you never do anything like this anymore?

Posted

I've never done anything like that. I sold my camera to my friend. Maybe I'll buy it back. I would like to do something like that. I basically want to steal this person's style.

Posted

<Sello> saha
<Sello> saha how do i do original stuff
<Sello> i want to be original with something
<Sello> how do i do it
<Sahaqiel> you get inspiration from different sources
<Sahaqiel> and then you use it in your own way

Posted

Find something that's obscure and duplicate it

Posted

Duplicate your favourite aspects of lots of things all in one piece of work.

Posted

he left all his treasure in one... piece...

Teto likes this

Posted

WE ARE! NA NAAA NAAAAAA NA NANANA NA NAAAA NAA NA DODODODO NA NAAA NAAAA NA NANA DO DO DO DO DODODOOO ARITAKENO UMI WOOO KAKI ATSUMEEEEEE 

Anyway stufffff arrived.

Bope6VyIUAAF8Ss.jpg

24 set of pencils from 9B to 9H, and When Marnie Was There, which I hope to read starting this weekend when I get the train down to Dundee for my interview for the Art & Design course at the college there. When I told my art friend about me getting the pencils she said that 9H was just overkill, but for me I think it'll come in handy with my technical drawing. Since it won't spread much and it's really light, I can get down grids and precise lines of vanishing points without it being dark enough to overpower what I'm really drawing.

You can see behind the items in the picture that I was doing some shadow study, and you can see the dot on the left is the light source, and then you have lines sprouting off to the right from the floating cube and casting against the wall. The lines stand out a bit too much compared to the actual subjects I'm looking at. I'd like to be able to see that line, but not have my eye drawn toward it. I'm hoping that 9H (or other H) pencils will be handy for achieving that. 9B would make delicious dark marks with how soft it is, but I don't have much interest in doing that right now. It'll be handy for doing the shadows though, but I might use a harder B pencil for that, so I can keep it neat.

And When Marnie Was There is going to be one of the next Ghibli movies this year, so I decided to buy the book before watching the movie (in 2 years when it's out on DVD and Blu Ray). Was surprised to see "Major Motion Picture Coming Soon" on the top of the cover. Like they knew they would have a selling point coming up but they didn't want to wait until the movie was out and they could say "Now a major motion picture".

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

I'd definitely agree with your friend that 9h is overkill. I have a set of pencils I've been using on and off throughout college, and they range from 6B to 4H. On the one hand I'd like to point out that I've never needed anything lighter than a 4h, but on the other hand I've never been serious with using pencils for rendering. If you get serious with using your pencils, and I'm certain you will, then I'm sure you'll be using the pencils lighter than 4h every now and then.

If you're interested, I've been watching a three-part DVD series by Scott Robertson thats all about doing technically correct light studies, and the whole time I was watching it I thought it would be exactly what you would want to study. The right thing to do would be to buy all three of the DVDs on the gnomon workshop for $120, but the art student thing to do would be to watch them for free on this japanese website I found that has them for free in full, not that I would know anything about that.

Posted

I wish it was summer already!!!!!

Posted

And When Marnie Was There is going to be one of the next Ghibli movies this year, so I decided to buy the book before watching the movie (in 2 years when it's out on DVD and Blu Ray). Was surprised to see "Major Motion Picture Coming Soon" on the top of the cover. Like they knew they would have a selling point coming up but they didn't want to wait until the movie was out and they could say "Now a major motion picture".

I'm sure that book will be a collector's item; it existed in the brief window of time before "Now a Motion Picture" and the original.

Also, Jared, it's p. much summer already...

Posted

I'm sure that book will be a collector's item; it existed in the brief window of time before "Now a Motion Picture" and the original.

If the movie ends up being a Spirited Away level popular movie that also launches the book to classic status then maybe people will care about that detail. Who knows.

I'd definitely agree with your friend that 9h is overkill. I have a set of pencils I've been using on and off throughout college, and they range from 6B to 4H. On the one hand I'd like to point out that I've never needed anything lighter than a 4h, but on the other hand I've never been serious with using pencils for rendering. If you get serious with using your pencils, and I'm certain you will, then I'm sure you'll be using the pencils lighter than 4h every now and then.

If you're interested, I've been watching a three-part DVD series by Scott Robertson thats all about doing technically correct light studies, and the whole time I was watching it I thought it would be exactly what you would want to study. The right thing to do would be to buy all three of the DVDs on the gnomon workshop for $120, but the art student thing to do would be to watch them for free on this japanese website I found that has them for free in full, not that I would know anything about that.

Using the 9H a bit, I agree that it seems unnecessarily hard. I enjoy having the very fine near-invisible marks for the technical drawings, but I admit I might as well be using a sharpened rock. Very very little actual pencil marks, and it just good for engraving lines, which then make themselves obvious when you lay down shading. So while it's good for maybe draughting something in lines only, for a proper picture with colours and shading as well as a technical aspect, it isn't really appropriate. I do like it though, it feels good to use.

Also I forgot that posts don't merge after a certain length of time. Since we have rupees now I might as well stick to the rules about double posting, so that I don't undermine the economy of it. I feel like double posting is more or less accepted, but that's just down to this being a tight-knit trusting community. People wouldn't take it seriously as a forum with a purpose if unnecessary rules aren't enforced. You can't allow me to double post just because you know I have no ill intentions behind it, or else you can't expect others to follow the standards set by the rules.

Posted

So I was at work and thought, "Wow my 7 year anniversary is coming up at Hyrule.net." Which blew my mind of how much I've grown up in the past 7 years. How much everyone has. We all grew together in a way, through good times and bad. However if I'm not here for my 7 year anniversary, which if I not I better have a good excuse not to, I want to say this.

I know we had our rough times in the past, but I thought you should all know this. I love you all.  When I'm gone, I really miss this place, but alas things happen and my life is so full of stress that I often forget to come back. When I say all I mean all. That includes LL and Phanta. And even you, Sahaqiel. Even though we had a bunch of rough passes on a certain *clear throat* week that may or may not be remembered, but yes.

This is not a good bye, not by any means. It's just a reminder that if I'm ever gone, I never stop thinking about this place and I never stop thinking about my original internet family. :)

Now that the incredibly cheesy stuff is out of the way, how are you all?

Teto likes this