Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

I could have gone to Colossalcon, but instead I went to Chicago that weekend instead. :D

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

I think the next Con near me is ConBravo! (and JonTron is going to be there aaahhh) but I lack the funds to go. -.-

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

I was supposed to see TFiOS in theaters today, but one of our friends couldn't go so now we're going tomorrow. :( I wanna see TFiOS now.

Posted

ew why?

Posted

I actually enjoyed that movie, having not read the book. Granted, I have a serious soft spot for stories that have a book-obsessed (or even interested) character. It was good enough for me to recommend, at the very least, but kI recommend not seeing it in a theater full of loud sorority girls.

Posted

ew why?

I was part of a book club that read the book so we're going to see the movie. We're also doing that for The Book Thief.

Posted

The Book Thief seemed pretty manipulative according to the trailer. I felt like the trailer was trying to make me cry. Nazis and Jews, a little girl learning how to read? Or like teaching a grown man how to read ? Also there's a dog I think?

I feel like it was packed with those joyful yet somber triumphant moments that tend to make people cry

Posted

I read The Book Thief in high school. It was an interesting read.

Posted

The Book Thief seemed pretty manipulative according to the trailer. I felt like the trailer was trying to make me cry. Nazis and Jews, a little girl learning how to read? Or like teaching a grown man how to read ? Also there's a dog I think?

I feel like it was packed with those joyful yet somber triumphant moments that tend to make people cry

So Oscar bait. Like, its a check list.

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

Yeah. Looking back on the book I think it was just another tired attempt of using the holocaust as something to make something sad, when there's actually been plenty of terrifying things governments have done to their people that nobody ever talks about because they're just not as well known as the holocaust. Just look at the wikipedia article for "Genocides in History," there's a really long section for mass murders against groups of people that took place in the 20th century. I think if you want to show how sad ethnic cleansing is, you could at least pick a new genocide to work with. The Holodomor is one my roommate likes to cite a lot.

Posted

New thread idea "What's your favourite genocide?"

But yeah I get that people tend to just focus on the holocaust because it's more well-known. If they did a different one they would have to spend a lot of time developing the setting so people understood the history, before they could make it into another story. The holocaust is familiar though, so it's easier to pick up and write a story for it, trusting that you don't have to really update the audience on what's going on in the country. Say the holocaust and most people will know the time period, key figures, and politics, without you having to write an introduction chapter about it. If it was about anything else it'd have to be part historical documentary, just to make the drama accessible to people who aren't familiar with the event.

The holocaust is almost the media-designated 'genocide setting' for people who want to make stories about people surviving through genocide situations. If you just want to make a character drama in a genocide setting without getting too bogged down by historical detail (because often that's not what people are interested in hearing about), the holocaust is an easy pick. I wouldn't say it's a cop-out for people who don't want to research other settings and times. If the writer wants the characters to be the core of the story, despite the specifics of their situation, maybe it's good to go with something familiar, just to focus the reader on what the writer was interested in them seeing. If the writer was really wanting to bring out a certain aspect of the setting, then maybe they'd research for a genocide event which allows them to write that story, but when it doesn't matter, then you might as well use the holocaust.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

That actually was really funny

LLmao ?✊? likes this

Posted

i think it's safe to say that 6 million didnt die right guys