Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

Meh. It doesn't matter what he said. I'm inclined what he said about me was true anyways...

Posted (edited)

I was looking around Wal-Mart today for a new pair of X12s, because my dog tore mine to shreds. I was browsing the gaming headphones when a guy came up and said, "Hey, do you know if they sell internet here?"

I was really caught off guard at first, but then I thought about it and told him, "You're gonna have to tell me what exactly you need." So he starts talking about how his phone bill is too high and that he'd rather pay for wireless internet and just have a no-contract phone. So I explained to him that Wal-Mart does not sell internet, that he'd have to get with his cable provider about that. So he thanks me, and walks off. Not a big deal.

About two minutes later, I pass this same guy checking out laptops. He calls out to me, and says, "Do you know if this is a good computer? Can you help me with this? What makes a computer good? My daughter's laptop just broke, and she likes to just play games on it." So I explain the importance of the processor's speed for gaming, and look at the one he's pointing at. It's a Chromebook. I tell him no. I ask him what kind of games does she play, just simple facebook games, or more intense games? He tells me it's just browser games, and so I tell him that really pretty much any windows computer (Or even Mac) would be alright for that. So he scans the prices of the computers and asks "What about this one?"

I look it over, google the specs, see that it's got decent capabilities. I tell him so, and he thanks me again for helping him out.

Three minutes later, I'm walking past a guy staring at some TVs, looking lost while trying to get some help from an employee, who have all vanished. A woman walks out of the back area and asks if he needs help, he says he needs someone in electronics. She says to check the desk and he says he has, nobody was there. She says she'll page someone, and he starts walking around some more. I'm checking out PC headsets now, he's standing about six feet away staring at the TVs, looking upset. He turns around, looks at me for a second, and says, "Hey, would you happen to know much about electronics?" And I was thinking "Oh man, here we go again." 

So I say, "Yeah man, mostly, what's up?"  He shakes my hand after I agree to help, and introduces himself. He explains how it's a hassle to hook up all of his stuff to his projector, that he has a bunch of different things (Wii, xbox/ps3) that he has to constantly switch the cords for. He was looking for a way to split all the wires into one. He wanted a converter for HDMI into composite. I thought about it for a second, and remember that I've tried to figure out how to do the exact same thing with no luck, because they send their signals differently.

I try explaining this to him, and he starts talking about splicing the cables together, and I think to myself "That's not better." So then I think about it, and have him explain the whole projector thing to me again. I remembered a thing that would allow multiple inputs to one output, but I couldn't remember at all what it was called. I tried explaining it to him, and it just came to me. An A/V Switch. We looked around, but they only had one that was only composite. I explained that one that converted HDMI would probably be pretty costly, but that he should definitely check Radio Shack. He thanks me profusely, as he's been trying to work this out for like 4 days, and I've helped him (maybe)solve it in about 15 minutes. We'd done a lot of small talk, as well, he seemed like a pretty cool guy. I tell him it was no problem.

I resume looking at the headsets as he walks off, then see him turn around. He looks at me and says, "I don't want you to be upset, I ask this to everyone I like. You're a really cool guy, and I'd like to hear your opinion on the subject." I'm thinking, "Alright, what's this guy talking about?"

He says, "How much are you into Jesus Christ?" Oh gosh. Please no, not here, I was really liking you, man. Don't do this. So I look at him and say "I'm actually not religious." He says, "So like, agnostic?" I explain that I just don't have a religion, and he says "But what if it's real? What if, on the day you die, you have a chance of going to heaven? Are you willing to take the chance of going to hell? I really don't want to see you end up there. You're a cool guy."

He keeps talking about how I need to start worshiping God and stuff. I can deal with this, no problem. Most of my family (Like 95%) are Christian, I'm used to it. I'm polite, and agreeing with him just so he'll shut up and leave. Then he talks about how, "All these new religions are false," like Islam. Then he starts slandering Muhammad, calling him a child molester. I just nod my head and hope he goes away quickly. He ends with "I really don't want you to go to hell, man. Really, please, just take a look at the Bible, maybe it'll change the way you think. I'll be praying for you." And he walks off. 

I see him at least 3 more times in the store as I'm just trying to walk out. He smiles and says hey. Once he was pushing his cart to the back, and says "Can't believe it, I forgot something." I grin at him and say "Every time." He laughs and continues. I walk out of the store, decide I want some Sonic, grab some Lil Chickies and leave. As I'm leaving, to get back onto the main road (Perpendicular to Walmart), I turn too hard and almost hit a curb. So I swerve a little bit and almost hit someone's car as they're driving past. I keep going and when we get to the roundabout, I look to see who all was in the car. It was the Jesus guy! Luckily he was engrossed with his phone call and I guess didn't notice me almost ramming him. He drove off without looking at me, and I laughed about it the whole way home.

Later mom and I had a G+ Hangouts call with a couple of my cousins, one of which is from Germany, so that was nice.

What an interesting day.

Edited by Dark_One (see edit history)

Posted

Necro and Saha pretty much captured the reasons I don't drink. Most of my friends from college became convinced that if I got drunk it would end badly for SOMEBODY

Posted

To be fair, Muhammed did marry and consummate his marriage with a nine year old. And I can kind of see where the guy was coming from from his perspective, but of course it's silly from a non-religious perspective.

I can't help but think the guy was going to be super obnoxious if somehow crashing into him killed you. Perhaps even bragging that he made you accept Jesus Christ just before it happened.

Also, being drunk is fun, no doubt. Being wobbly and goofy is fun. It's just that drinking without the intent to be drunk makes no sense to me. So I often take a few straight shots of vodka in quick succession (sometimes without something to wash it down) if I've been drinking slowly all night and the party's winding down; it's a shortcut to liven it up a bit.  It's just that it tastes so grossssss. Even wines and mixed drinks. But as far as inhibition goes, my judgment isn't really clouded all that much. There have been a few times that I've felt like edging towards a bad decision, but I don't find it too hard to reason myself out of it. If my experience with drink has been indicative of anyone else's, I think a lot of people use it as an excuse to act a certain way, inflating how much control they've really lost. 

Posted

Drinking was an odd progression for me.  I was like that for a while, where it was only worth doing for the end game of being drunk.  Then I started bartending and learned a lot more about beer to start (I tended at a brewery), then other things, wines and whiskey mostly.  Probably three or four days a week I have a single drink, like a glass of wine or a small whiskey, usually a Chilean red or Jameson black label.  It took me a good five or six years to get to where I enjoy that stuff though.

Posted (edited)

I've only recently learned how good it feels to drink a beer after a long day at work. I laughed when I caught myself doing it because I felt like Hank Hill. It helps a person loosen up and wind down, even if you aren't drunk

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)

Posted

Yeah, I often have a beer or wine after dinner. It's nice. Being drunk is overrated. Being buzzed is where it's at.

T1g and Treemotan like this

Posted

Buzzed is what I'd count myself as getting to. I've never been black out drunk, or stumbling/a danger to myself and others. A bottle of wine does me, and then I'm just quite merry.

Posted

Yeah idk man beer (well alcohol in general but especially beer) is pretty gross.

Time will tell.

Posted

Beer isn't good and it never will be. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. I guess it's not supposed to be good. I've slowly learned which ones are tolerable and which are really gross.

Sahaqiel, T1g and Aethix like this

Posted

Beer isn't good and it never will be. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. I guess it's not supposed to be good. I've slowly learned which ones are tolerable and which are really gross.

I agree. Beer by itself is just flavorless and disgusting (in my opinion). That's why I choose beer that is flavorful such as my favorite...

0003410008722_500X500.jpg

It's like Apple Cider that was touched inappropriately by it's Uncle when it was 10.

Posted

Smirnoff Ice is technically beer, and their blueberry lemonade is delicious. I usually only drink alcohol that tastes really good. The flavor of the alcohol isn't what bothers me (with the exception of whiskey, but I'm slowly getting over that), but the burn, which makes doing shots to get drunk quickly not so enjoyable. I enjoy SoCo, and Malibu, and a whole bunch of other stuff, you just have to know how to use it. Midori, for instance, is a muskmelon (think honeydew) liqueur that is very sweet, and is the base ingredient for a June Bug cocktail, which are fantastic. Midori on its own, though, is pretty overwhelming in flavor/sweetness. 

My friends and I like to make frozen daiquiris, though the level of alcohol isn't nearly enough to get you drunk, but it'll hold a buzz. I personally like to have a heavy buzz going on. Just enough to start getting fuzzy. The most drunk I've been would've been my birthday last year, I matched my friend shot for shot, except I was doing tall shots (1.5 normal shots). So his 12 was my 18. He spent four hours throwing up (Eight times! Three in my toilet :D), I took a nap in the hallway outside the bathroom talking to his girlfriend (another good friend of mine) while she held his hair.

I like to try new alcohols often, and will usually pick up something every Friday. Yesterday I bought Hpnotiq, a very strange drink. It has a very awkward taste at first, but the aftertaste is great.

I now own like upper-30s something bottles of alcohol, the most expensive of which, by volume, is St. Germain, and it is simply amazing, you can add it to pretty much any mixed drink. It's also $18 for less than half a pint.

Posted

Michelob Ultra legitimately tastes good to me. Especially draft. And it always has, even when I first started drinking.

Bud Light has kind of grown on me, though I thought it was disgusting at first. Draft > Bottle. I can't stand Coors or Miller or any other light lagers. Most dark beers taste disgusting as well, though I have been in a mood where the coffee/chocolaty flavors tasted tolerable. Rolling Rock is ehh. Dos Equis is pretty good with a lime. Stella Artois is disgusting. 

I also legitimately enjoy dry white wine, well, white wine in general really. I struggle with reds. I would literally take a white wine over a soda with dinner every time.

Coconut Rum tastes great to me. Coke and coconut rum is my favorite mixed drink, followed by Coke and spiced rum. 

Cider and fireball whiskey is pretty swell too. 

It's really all about experimenting with everything and trying things in different environments. Beer tastes totally different out with friends vs sitting at home alone. 

Treemotan and Dark_One like this

Posted

IMO it goes shiner>zeigenbock>stella artois> whatever else. This is from my limited experience

Posted

Shiner is pretty good. I had it draft at the Dallas airport and it was pretty good. 

I also enjoy warm sake. Literally the best thing when you're sharing a sushi roll with friends.

LLmao ?✊? likes this