Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

Lol ???

But seriously I've never heard of anything called a "Mental Hospital" in the States, except in like, American Horror Story type stuff lol.

Posted

I've heard of "mental hospital" being used to refer to psychiatric hospitals, though not as commonly as the latter. I guess it's possible the reason for it's uncommon usage has to do with stigma of the word 'mental,' though there's nothing inherently wrong with it -- as both 'mental' and 'psychiatric' relate to the mind and their illnesses.

Posted

Right. "Mental Hospital" is actually the correct term for that particular kind of institution. The kind that implies everyone inside is the hollywood version of crazy or insane would be "insane asylum." Of course, nearly all of them were closed down after the 60's anti psychiatric movement, which is why there's so many homeless mentally ill now. But yeah, psyche wards and mental hospitals are generally the same, with the difference being a psyche ward is an offshoot of a general hospital, and a mental hospital is a free standing facility.

Vio Milanor likes this

Posted (edited)

Ive never heard any psychiatric professional refer to such as place as a "mental hospital" it is NOT the correct term.  

Like i just googled it and the first pop up was "Psychiatric Hospital" on wikipedia, and only mentions "mental hospital" as an "also known as" aka a slang term or when talking about it from a critical perspective.

Edited by PizzaGirl (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Well I hardly see the point in arguing mental hospital to be somehow worse than psychiatric hospital, because I just googled it, and it says "Psychiatric hospitals, also known as mental hospitals and psychiatric wards ("psych" wards)." If "Mental Hospital" is worse, then so is "psych ward," and we're both wrong. But it's also worth noting, I feel, that the source here is wikipedia, which is not really a valid source to draw and cite information from and to. As long as we're linking first page google search results as proof, here's one that says the terms are freely interchangeable.

Most of the medical professionals I've met and neurodivergent friends I have generally use "mental hospital" and "psychiatric hospital" interchangeably in conversation or discussion. The terms are similar enough in practice that, to be frank, you're the first person I've ever met anywhere who has insisted on a distinction. If any stigma is associated with the term "Mental Hospital," that would come from American Horror Story trying to convince people of the same annoying, tired trope that these hospitals are the same now as they were when Bedlam was at it's peak.

EDIT: I have not actually seen American Horror Story's take on Mental Hospitals so I wouldn't know.

Edited by pheonix561 (see edit history)
Michael and Vio Milanor like this

Posted (edited)

Does it matter?

Since "Psychiatric" has to do with mental illness and it's treatment. Does that generally not mean that saying "Mental Hospital" is the same thing? You go to a hospital for for treatment of an ailment. You go to a mental hospital to get treatment to a mental ailment.

If you think one is more demeaning than the other, when they both mean the same thing then that's your deal.

I do not think people are crazy because they say they go to a Mental Hospital instead of a Psychiatric Hospital.

For the record everyone is cray cray not just people who go to get treatment.

That being said I recommend we move on from this topic but do so as you all please.

Edited by Michael (see edit history)

Posted

k

you're wrong but k

Posted

Okay.

Posted

mmkay

Posted

To clear this up, it is called the Pine Rest Mental Hospital. I was there being treated for severe depression, and because i was considered a danger to myself. I was taken to a medical hospital after the attempt, and a group of doctors petitioned that i be taken in as an involuntady inpatient at the mental hospital.

what that MEANS is that "mental hospital" is not demeaning. looney bin, crazy home, insane asylum, those are all demeaning, but a mental hospital is what it is.

Posted

Fair enough. I've just honestly never heard that term in non-demeaning context. I even heard the doctors correct the patients and visitors who called it that when I was placed in psychiatric care. Guess I was just taught wrong. Still feels like an outdated term though.

Posted

IT could just be a regional difference. Like Soda/pop

Posted

Hey, Tappy, is it possible to see likes given/received anymore? Clicking on the link about community reputation doesn't show anything.

Posted

Feels kind of wild actually that Cassandra has been here the better part of a year already. Feels like it should be less time, but when I think about it it sounds about right.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted (edited)

Hey, Tappy, is it possible to see likes given/received anymore? Clicking on the link about community reputation doesn't show anything.

I noticed this as well, however when I looked I couldn't find that setting.

Edit

Of course, when I look again I find it. Are you able to see it now?

Edited by Michael (see edit history)