Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

Glad to see that your priorities in order.

So I'm assuming that you have your own place to stay and you're not relying on the generosity and trust of a shelter, right?

Posted

hah no im puppyed see you in hell shitlords

Posted

Persona isnt very fun at all lol. Im with Teto in that JRPGs are too long and... Its just the same game play hour after hour with just higher numbers/stats. Makes me sleepy.

Teto likes this

Posted

I'm very picky with my JRPGS -- especially when they are turn-based. I can't blame anyone for feeling that way though. I kinda feel the same way about fighting games.

Posted

Persona's focus isn't on gameplay though, it's on story.

Posted

In Persona 3 at least, the story and characters weren't engaging enough to keep me going through the whole thing. I just didn't ever see myself caring about the outcome. Persona 4 seems like a better time.

Posted

Yeah, Persona 3 has some pretty lame characters. I don't like any of them, they're incredibly bland and don't have any depth. The P4 characters are the opposite, where they're much more defined and interesting and colourful and different.

Teto likes this

Posted

The game seems overall less edgy. I didn't enjoy P3, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have a go at P4, or P5 when it comes out.

Posted

Persona 4 is much more upbeat than Persona 3, and you can tell just by the soundtrack. All the characters are happier and act more like actual, happy human beings.

Posted (edited)

Persona 3 feels like an angsty teenage phase, whereas I get a more mature impression from Persona 4; of someone who's gotten over the angst and is getting on with their life. They're still figuring themselves out, but less broody.

Like, the atmosphere of P3 gives me that feeling, though I never really analysed it much when I played it. The main character and the evoker and the midnight hour though, just gave that feeling.

Edited by Werewolf (see edit history)

Posted

Yeah, the game has a shitty attitude if that makes sense. The main character's dialogue is that of a socially outcasted, snarky teenage edgelord. However, in Persona 4, the main character feels a lot more like a really nice, upstanding guy who cares about his friends and other people. I noticed in Persona 3, certain dialogue options that seem positive trigger negative responses from the other character, implying that he says these things in a sarcastic tone, rather than the kind tone I was expecting. The Persona 3 social links were difficult for me because of this, and I eventually just got incredibly frustrated and fed up with them.

I'd also like to add that when playing Persona 3, I never had the feeling that I was ever accomplishing anything. I'd climb Tartarus, doop dee doop dee doo, and I'd get to a blocked door, Fancytits McGoo would be like "good job nerd" and that was that. Nothing I ever did felt satisfying, every action felt like a dead end. Hell, even winning fights wasn't satisfying, because the victory theme is this weird ominous bass song that feels completely out of place. Persona 3 just doesn't feel good.

Teto likes this

Posted

Persona's focus isn't on gameplay though, it's on story.

Posted

That's one thing which makes games like Uncharted and Half Life really cool. Uncharted has a lot of dialogue and setup while you're playing, with relatively less cutscene. Then again, you play the cutscene, and so gameplay is scripted. Still works better than a cutscene though. It feels like it's just the animators showing off when it does that; like, "put down the controller, I'm gonna show you something cool", and you begrudgingly consent to it, having the experience taken out of your hands for a moment while the animators wave their dicks around. 

Half Life and Portal don't have any cutscenes while the main character is active and able to move. I appreciate that.

Pizzza likes this

Posted

There are a ton of people on right now. Let's bullshit!

Posted

I'm getting towards the end of Persona 4 now and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone interested in the series. Cass is pretty right about the characters and writing. The story and characterization are top-notch, and P4 is one of the few JRPGs that I've played that is actually, literally, very heavy on the Role-Play part of Role-Playing Game. The game is designed in such a way that each of the players' decisions regarding school, work, friends and extracurricular activities build on each other, giving a relatively unique experience depending on the person. That aspect of Persona, and the personal investment it breeds in the player, can't be translated to a book or film, and is inevitably lost in adaptation, despite the story remaining in place.

Also, yeah, Half Life and Uncharted are both excellent when it comes to blending game-play and story. Half Life with how the entirety of the games is a seamless point A to B adventure in first-person, and Uncharted in its balance of cut-scenes for major character interaction alongside big action set-pieces, all of which are playable. The "downside" being how they're both linear and scripted, but that allows for a tight experience and still has room for replayability in each scenario.