Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

LALAH

Posted

I didn't realise HP Lovecraft was such a massive racist, like holy heck. Check out this poem of his titled "On the Creation of Niggers"

"When, long ago, the gods created Earth;

In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.

The beasts for lesser parts were designed;

Yet were too remote from humankind.

To fill the gap, and join the rest of Man,

Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.

A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,

Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger."

There's more, with references to 'mixed-blooded' 'mongrel' worshipers of Cthulhu

http://lovecraft.wikia.com/wiki/Howard_Phillips_Lovecraft#Racism

Reminds me I should give his stories a read though. Like, just because he was a massive racist doesn't make the rest of his work bad.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Yeah, its always sad to find out people you otherwise appreciate and respect have massive flaws you can't ignore.

Posted

Oh my god, last nice I saw this girl who was just absolutely cute as puppy. Nice short bobbed hair, brilliant shade of blonde, she was small and sweet looking, just sd;afjas;df. But the instant I tried hitting on her, she got really pissed and said, "Ew, puppying homo" and left. That's my story of the day.

SilverAlchemic likes this

Posted

Lots of the Southern Belles around here are like that; all cute till you get them talking about the narrow-minded opinions they have :sadlink:

Posted

Yeah, but this is the north. We were at a Silverline station outside the gay bar. I saw her again today and she apologized, said some religious mumbo jumbo, and got on her bus. A true loss.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Strangest anomoly. Monster energy drink tastes like piss to me. Diet Monster energy drink tastes great. Weirdest thing

Dude I know right

Posted

Yeah, its always sad to find out people you otherwise appreciate and respect have massive flaws you can't ignore.

you do realize that a LOT of his stories featured racist themes right? It's kinda hard to miss...

Posted

That's everyone.

Human beings 101

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

I feel compelled to reveal now that I, too, am a gigantic puppying racist. Hate me all you want, but I cannot be ashamed - for I was born like this. As a racist. The moment my stem snapped and I dropped from the legendary Tree of Life, the Listless Interpretation of Divinity assigned to my Bright and Fervent Soul one mission, as it does to all souls. Lo I gazed up to the heavens and saw the motion of its Apparent Lips as it declared that I shall be a huge puppying racist, the biggest puppying racist. "But they cannot hate your work," it said. "That would actually be against the rules."

pheonix561, Teto and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

Lovecraft was a product of his times. Certainly some of his stories are unfortunately Xenophobic and racist, but in the end is it any great surprise that a man who wrote about fear of the unknowable, was himself a fearful and mistrustful person?

Howard was better though...

Posted

He lived in New England then was overwhelmed by the massive influx of immigrants, new ideas, technology and horrors of war. It's easy to see how it can influence someone. If you write off an artist for their personal beliefs, you're a fool. If you can learn from someone or their work without realigning your own beliefs, then you're a mature person. If you're limiting yourself to new ideas because you don't agree with them 100%, then that's a shame

SilverAlchemic and Teto like this

Posted

I'm a bit obsessed with Mr Peanutbutter from BoJack Horseman, because I can relate to him in a lot of ways. I can talk a lot about him, but I realise that I'm essentially just talking about myself. So it occurs to me that, for me, being obsessed with fictional characters or people who I relate to is just me obsessing with myself by proxy.

Posted

Mr. Peanutbutter is great. I feel like he would get along really well with Jerry from Rick and Morty

Teto likes this

Posted (edited)

Absolutely. In the same vein as shit-eating Rick. People call him "stupid Rick", but he made brownies with alchemy, so I don't think he's really so stupid. Just somehow not as corrupted by the cruelty of the multiverse. He can have his feelings hurt, but somehow remain really kind. 

Edited by Werewolf (see edit history)