Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm really excited. I'm getting Twilight Princess HD today. I had my parents go grab it for me since they were already out. :D I'm really excited.

Teto and Knuckle like this

Posted

I have an almost obsessive hatred for Pokemon XY. Every time I take a shower, go for a walk, get ready for bed, all I can think about is how much it let me down. Sned hepl.

Posted (edited)

I really enjoyed X&Y. It was bubblegum though. It was easy and fun to blast through, but you could beat it so mindlessly that it feels redundant to go back. I sold it and don't feel like I'll ever care that I can't go back. Once the main objective of the game was fulfilled, I was done.

Black & White is the only generation I could never get through. I kept getting to route 4 and stop caring. I just wasn't interested in what came next, and the city seemed to crash my momentum. Stepping back out into the wilderness to get back onto the road to nowhere, I just didn't care. All 3 times I played it, I got to that stage and bailed. It didn't stay fresh for long.

Pearl & Diamond was back in high school, so I had friends who were playing it. I don't remember it very well, but I did enjoy it. I mostly remember hanging out with people exploring that underground part of the game.

Ruby & Sapphire was my peak experience, preceded with the hype of people on the school bus prodding at promo pictures of Latias and Latios in magazines. I remember having an anxiety dream about not being able to play it because I still only had a GB Color.

I feel like I was bought Gold while I was in Ireland. There was definitely something about staying in youth hostels with my family and some family friends, and someone getting their head stuck between the wooden panels of a bunk bed. I must have bugged my parents about Crystal a lot, because they gave it to me early on Christmas. I remember being on a boat, again just travelling somewhere with some family and friend group, hearing that you could play as a girl in it, and thinking "why didn't they do that already?"

I wish I could remember that far back. I just must have not been paying much attention, or else it's common to not remember much of being that age, whatever I was. Like 8.

Pokemon Yellow I have vague memories of. Getting it with a Game Boy Color for some Christmas or another. I get some deep nostalgic feeling thinking about the title screen, almost too distant to grasp. I got them both at once, and it was the only game I had for it, that I remember. 

I guess I would have been 6-8 for Yellow, and maybe Gold.

Edited by Teto (see edit history)

Posted

I liked X. It just had a disappointing after game.

Black and Black 2 was good. Not my favorite, but it helped me get back into Pokemon after I stopped playing it. I was afraid I wasn't going to like it, but both of them were good.

Diamond I didn't really like. The story was meh, the Pokemon were meh, the world was meh, and the Poketch was meh. The underground might've been fun if I had people to play with, but alas, that was not the case.

Sapphire were great. I remember playing it in 5th grade during recess. It took me almost a month of 30 minute recess breaks to beat Wallace. His Milotic would slaughter my whole team.

I never really liked Gold when it first came out. I remember playing it and being like, "It's okay, but it's not Red." I didn't really enjoy it until I played through Heart Gold. I had a blast with it then.

Red was my first Pokemon game and the one I'm most nostalgic about. However, I never beat it because I like 2 or 3 when I got it so like most kids I only raised one Pokemon to a high level then kept losing.

Yellow, even though part of Red and Blue, was a different experience altogether. I wasn't any better at it by the time I got it, but I remember loving it for the sheer fact that it was like in the anime where you could get all three starters and I thought that was pretty cool.

Posted

I dunno. There's just too much about XY that feels all wrong. The boring, repetitive, bland, unmemorable, and oftentimes unfitting music, linear routes that lack any obstacles and easily avoidable trainers, really terrible and uninteresting lore, boring rivals (as well as too many rivals), gimmicks that added nothing to the game (Trainer PR videos being a good example), features that WOULD have added a LOT to the game but were cut or abridged for whatever reason (riding Pokemon was limited to only certain areas and didn't really do anything but make you move slow), features from previous games that should have been kept missing (the extra bag slot for BW/2 that you could put ANY ITEM into that functioned as a nice place to put often used items, and even though BW made this mistake first, taking out the Running Shoes toggle was annnoying, the camera angle that allows you to see the entirety of an area as soon as you enter it, making it too easy to navigate (Previous games were more top-down, allowing you to get lost in caves or forests), cities that are TOO easy to get lost in  (LUMIOSE CITY IS SO POORLY DESIGNED, GETTING LOST IN A CITY IS FINE, BUT THIS IS A MONSTROSITY MAN).

One of the things I hate the most is the routes. Nearly every route in the early game is the same exact thing: A single, linear road with maybe a handful of trainers on it, with the tall grass being out of the way and not obstructing you at all. THE FIRST ROUTE ON THE GAME IS A STRAIGHT LINE. YOU LEAVE VANIVILLE TOWN AND THE DOOR SWINGS OPEN AND YOU CAN JUST SEE THE NEXT TOWN. It's just asinine that they would design it that way, it's like the game is telling you it was streamlined.

Another annoying thing is how Mewtwo was introduced. One of the most powerful Pokemon in the entire series, this bio-engineered psychic killing machine was given no buildup, presence, nothing. He was just in a cave in a flower field for.... reasons? He was presented so poorly, it's just infuriating, like they didn't even try.

XY was just such a disappointment for me. It took all the adventure feel that the previous games had to offer and took them away from you, took the challenge away from you, took the FUN away from you. There's just so little love put into XY, and it feels like nobody really cared about this game. What a letdown.

Posted

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but a friend and I went to see The Legend of Zelda Symphony of the Goddesses last night and I made a vlog about it.

Teto and Knuckle like this

Posted

I'm 25k words into this fantasy novel that I'm writing, and I'm realizing that it's different than anything I've read. Like, it's a world where magic and monsters exist, yet the narrator has been trapped as a slave in a castle where magic is banned so far. It's anything but boring, in my opinion, and there has been plenty of action (bloody action, political intrigue, some Lovecraftian tales), but there has been very little fighting. 

That is about to change, since I'm sending the main character on a quest, but I may end up having to rewrite some early chapters to increase the excitement a little. 

Young Link Addict and Ryu like this

Posted

I'm 25k words into this fantasy novel that I'm writing, and I'm realizing that it's different than anything I've read. Like, it's a world where magic and monsters exist, yet the narrator has been trapped as a slave in a castle where magic is banned so far. It's anything but boring, in my opinion, and there has been plenty of action (bloody action, political intrigue, some Lovecraftian tales), but there has been very little fighting. 

That is about to change, since I'm sending the main character on a quest, but I may end up having to rewrite some early chapters to increase the excitement a little. 

That sounds incredibly dope, actually. Most fantasy novels have the narrator in the midst of the world's fantastical goings-ons, either following the main character or personifying them. I'd read it.

Posted

Thanks! Because I took a one-week intensive last week (9AM-5PM every day for a graduate-level course), I haven't gotten to write as much as I hoped this month. I'm at ~40K words, which is the length of a short novel in some genres, and I'm not quite halfway through the plot. I'm hoping to end around 100K, and I'm hoping to finish my first draft by August so that I can work on editing and the such for the rest of the year.

It's been interesting to write, for sure. When the narrator leaves the castle for the first time, it's really a turning point for everything. The castle where he was held makes it seem like the kingdom is repressive and bleak, but remnants of native customs and a unique appreciation for the supernatural permeate each town they pass through. Honestly, it's kind of cool seeing the story take on a life of its own.

Posted

damn

welcome to a dead puppyin forum

Posted

You know what I realized? Pheo doesn't come here anymore.

and THAT makes me KING OF HYRULE.NET

today is a good day :D

Posted (edited)

MinasMorgul.jpg

@Knuckle's kingdom, the City of the Dead.

Pheo is now King of His Heart, a position u will never hold over him. What have you won?

Edited by Teto
Knuckle (see edit history)
Knuckle likes this

Posted

I get an army of skeletons, which is pretty cool :D

Posted

But there are no kingdoms to destroy, no peoples to slay or enslave. All you have are hollow mouths to feed, and they'll feast on one another until they've all turned to dust. And you will rule over the dust. But you'll probably have a bunch of pets actually. Indifferent, characterless pets who take but dont return.

What I'm saying is I'm jealous.

Knuckle likes this