Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

I drop by on occasion, usually when my grad school is wearing me down. Like Teto, this place was really important to me during my formative years, and it holds a lot of sentimental value as a result. When adult life starts to get depressing, it's nice to come back here, into a space that uniquely preserves that memory of youth. It's not actually just the stuff I posted here, either, but everything that was happening in my life around those times. 

Plus, I often find myself missing y'all. 

Posted

Nice to see everybody.  The past few times I've dropped in it's been pretty dead

Posted

I know, it's pretty quiet these days! Between work, school, and writing, I find myself without a lot of free time. How have you been? What's new with you?

Posted

Well, I got married earlier this year, bought a house, working for my father in law.  All in all, just enjoying life and staying very very busy.  How about you?

Posted

Congratulations! That's all very exciting. I got married about a year and a half ago and am working my way through Seminary right now. Hopefully I'll finish in Spring of 2018, but that depends on what classes they offer each semester. It's kind of tough for my wife and me, since we're so far away from both of our families (9 hours from hers, 6 from mine), but we're making it through. I'm running a campus ministry at a small community college, which is a blessing despite its challenges (all my students have jobs or families, which means they can't come to the same kinds of things as students at a 4-year school). It's been a good, busy time for me as well, I'd say!

Posted

I didn't know you were a campus minister now! That's really cool, guys like you are a lifeline on college campuses :o

Posted

Yeah, I totally love it! The United Methodist Church calls their campus ministries "Wesley Foundations," and the one I went to during my undergrad was a truly great place that helped me get through some rough times. The one I'm serving is on a Community College, so it has a lot of different challenges that I'm working to figure out, but I'm meeting some great students. I've been there for a year and a half now. I would love to stay in the world of campus ministry, though there are a lot of variables that will come up once I finish seminary to determine what type of ministry I'll end up in.

My wife and I are looking to move to Alabama, which is where she's from, so my future will largely be determined by what they have available there. I don't know how interested they are in Wesley Foundations there, unfortunately, but I would be perfectly happy to get appointed to a conventional church as well. Basically, I'll go where they send me!

Posted

As a Methodist myself, it seems to me like Wesley Foundation is a popular thing here in the South. I think you'll enjoy it :D

Posted

As a Methodist myself, it seems to me like Wesley Foundation is a popular thing here in the South. I think you'll enjoy it :D

A little late to respond, but oh well. I didn't know you were a Methodist too! I love Wesley Foundations in general, even though I'm having a hard time at this one in particular. I find them to be an extremely underutilized part of the Methodist Church, especially in the sense that basically nobody talks about them. I don't think I ever heard about one in my many years of youth group, which is kind of crazy! But once I did get involved in college, it really did change my life.

Knuckle likes this

Posted

Now that you mention it, I never heard of Wesley programs in high school either. And there definitely wasn't one at my undergrad college. Strange.

At any rate, good luck at you Wesley Foundation! :D

Posted (edited)

Good lord anyone else have those days when you check out that super dead forum you used to post on all the time years ago and cringe at how all your old posts are the most obnoxious twee teenager things ever created? Or is it just me?? I hate Past!Me, haha. Why did any of you like her, honestly.

It's weird how barren this place is now, considering how gung-ho we all were back in like 2012/2013 about never letting this place die. This has been some nostalgia trip... feels like my time here happened decades ago rather than only a few years ago. I wonder how you guys are doing these days, even the users I wasn't close friends with (or close in the slightest, or even flat-out dislike) you all were pretty special and/or entertaining and will always be a part of my teenage years. IDK, I doubt anyone will see this post anyways. Is the IRC even active still? I'm too nervous to check hah.

Edited by Cascade (see edit history)
Knuckle, SilverAlchemic and Ganny like this

Posted

Good lord anyone else have those days when you check out that super dead forum you used to post on all the time years ago and cringe at how all your old posts are the most obnoxious twee teenager things ever created? Or is it just me?? I hate Past!Me, haha. Why did any of you like her, honestly.

It's weird how barren this place is now, considering how gung-ho we all were back in like 2012/2013 about never letting this place die. This has been some nostalgia trip... feels like my time here happened decades ago rather than only a few years ago. I wonder how you guys are doing these days, even the users I wasn't close friends with (or close in the slightest, or even flat-out dislike) you all were pretty special and/or entertaining and will always be a part of my teenage years. IDK, I doubt anyone will see this post anyways. Is the IRC even active still? I'm too nervous to check hah.

I know that feel. I just post my writing here on a very rare ocassion just so i have it somewhere. ZD-i is dying out too as far as I can tell. With things like Skype, and ESPECIALLY Discord, gaming forums are kinda losing their place.

Posted

So what you're saying is, Hnet Discord is the next step?

Knuckle likes this

Posted

Let's make it happen.