Posted

Don't worry I'll find the quote later

Posted

Just forget it

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

What do you teach?

Posted

Here we go. This is a story of the greatness of the united states postal service at its best.

I have been selling some old things around my house to help fundraise some of my newer schemes like importing a japanese 3DS since most this crap has been sitting in my closets or storage for years anyway. Yesterday when I got on ebay to check the price of a SNES game for Pokefan who's too lazy to do it himself I saw that my classic Yu-gi-oh duel disk had sold via the buy-out option. The seller used a type of priority mail that he bought made it so ebay practically wanted me to get it to the post office by about 3 PM my time. Now, I don't know if any of you know about this thing. This duel disk is a type of toy/cosplay thing that goes on your arm like in the anime and is really, really big. I mean at minimum a box would need 2' x 2' x 1' to fit it. I had no such box and figured to just print the thingy from ebay and then go to the post office and take care of it there.

My post office was jampacked at the time. About 10 people in line with two registers open. After about five minutes one of the two cashiers literally grabs at her head, screams, and then just walks to the front of the post office and starts to smoke cutting it down to one lane. So I ended up getting the smallest box I could to fit the duel disk and bubble wrap and started to package it after I paid for it all. I noticed that the duel disk was loose in the box even with bubble wrap and got back in line to ask if they had styrofoam peanuts. When I got back to the front the cashier in a very harsh tone went, "no we don't have any! you'll have to just buy a lot more bubble wrap!"

I caved and got another two rolls of bubblewrap and got it all wrapped up and got in line a third time. When I got back to the front of the line the guy looks at it, weighs it and finally goes: "your box is fine weight wise but it's too tall. You have to cut down the box and make it smaller or I can't take it." Normally I would have left and dealt with it at home so I could have actual tools to work with but as I tried to mention that idea the guy goes, "you already had your shipping slip scanned. If you leave now without shipping you will not be able to ship it without paying for shipping again." So he gives me a pair of child sized scizors and sends me to another part of the store to cut the box in half and rework it to make it smaller. Then get in line again.

So after fifty or so minutes and multiple trips through the line I finally got the box shipped. That was the most painful experience I've ever had with the post office and I was royally pissed for hours after. 

Overall I'd give the service a 3/10.

Posted

What do you teach?

Spanish 1. It's cool though, at my age is rather be teaching freshmen and sophomores

Posted

Currently getting a bit hyped up about some upcoming releases for the next couple months. Looking at my 'to pre-order' list, I've got to look forward to: Blacksad: Amarillo, The World of Ice and Fire, and Sunny Vol. 4.

Blacksad is a generally really good and well-made graphic novel series, so I look forward to whatever kind of story Amarillo has. The World of Ice and Fire is going to be the history of the world of the series, and so I'm excited to read about that.

Sunny is a consistently good manga series, with stories of these children who live in a care home, separated from their parents. The characterisation is so good, I can't overstate how much I love it. I'm a sucker for dramatic subtlety, because I guess I just enjoy noticing the little things that I would have overlooked in the past, that give you a deeper insight into how things work or are conceived. For all their flaws, you can really get to understand the characters, and they all feel so realistic. Even in the rudest of them you can see their fragility, and understand where those actions come from. Along with the artstyle it's just a joy to read, as well as how well made the volumes are.

sunny-matsumoto-taiyou-3041423.jpg

I just really enjoy reading and re-reading these, and having them in physical form. I got Volume 3 just after it was released, and it's really cool to see Volume 4 coming out soon too. This same author did GoGo Monster, Tekkon Kinkreet, and Ping Pong, but Sunny is definitely my favourite of his, and it feels really good to be present while an author you love is producing what you feel is his best work. Ping Pong, as anybody here who watched the show may agree, also had brilliant characterisation, and it's definitely got to be Taiyo Matsumoto's strongest point.

So, those and Pokemon. Evidently I'm most hyped about new Sunny, and then Pokemon second. Maybe Blacksad third, only because it'll take less time to read than The World of Ice and Fire will, and the scale of another ASOIAF book feels quite daunting to me right now.

pheonix561 likes this

Posted

Oh man, Blacksad. It was a while ago when I read the first three volumes/issues/whatever, it's about time I go back and reread them I think. Not to mention there's new issues that have been released since then. I think Amarillo coming out will be a good time to go reread all of blacksad. Thanks for the update.

Posted

My mom's a really really big tsundere. Why did I never realize this?

Posted

Yesterday, I very stupidly managed to knock my laptop onto the floor when I forgot it was on my lap when standing up. This is the result:

bNcMWxH.jpg

Super pretty, right? The screen slammed shut onto the keyboard as it landed, so I guess the screen couldn't tough it out through THAT. Luckily, after a few hours of... it doing something, I think it was trying to recover files? it turned off, then when I turned on it seems everything is working fine? Just the screen is broken. Having an HDMI port on your laptop so you can connect it to the TV to use as a temporary screen is only now coming in handy! So, technically, I can still use it... which is better than having it damaged so much I lose all my stuff on here. But yeah, screen's pretty ugly I have to say! But also luckily my laptop is covered under home insurance, so they're going to pick up my laptop on Monday to take away and see if they can fix the screen. Or if they can't, send me a new laptop! All for only £50. Sweet. (o:

So this is now what my current set-up looks like: 

6A1oScS.jpg

I just feel so dumb though, only I could manage to forget I had a laptop sitting on my lap, and manage to drop it in a way to cause THAT to happen. Pretty ridiculous, and it's a bit lame having to sit right next to my TV just to use it, but I'll take it over losing everything forever. And it made me save all my important files into my sister's external hard-drive anyways, and actually go through and delete pointless things that should've been deleted ages ago. Maybe this was actually a blessing in disguise. Either way I'm still a twat :V Today I (re-)learned...

HEY Jared if you ever see this how did that meet-up with Crocodile go???

Knuckle, Sayubie and Sahaqiel like this

Posted

6A1oScS.jpg

I spy a Junko hiding in the corner... :P