Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

And the day was saved by....Skeletor? Huh.

pheonix561 and Sahaqiel like this

Posted

Skeletor seems like my kinda guy.

Posted

you just want him for his bulging thighs

Posted

I just bought a theremin online. My friend and I are starting a sick band after we open the package

pheonix561, Sahaqiel and Teto like this

Posted

Like the taxidermy badger theremin?

Sahaqiel likes this

Posted

Brought a tear to my eye...

But hey LL what kind of music are you going to do?

Posted (edited)

Hopefully incredibly pretentious, esoteric, improvisational, annoying and overly-long music. Like I want to do this and then if I can get someone somewhere to say that it's good then I'll laugh really hard. It's easy for non-musician artists to fart out albums. I'm thinking it's gonna be mostly satire of experimental artists and of performance art stuff. Am I making sense?

Like annoying drone noises with "woop woop woop woop" noises over it. And I'll be talking in a British accent with lots of distortion and echoes. I'm brainstorming names right now and I'm thinking like The Crystal Crystals, or The Crystal Skeleton, or like Psychic Knowledge Crystals

Edited by L.L. Bean's Menswear (see edit history)
Teto, Sahaqiel and T1g like this

Posted

That sounds absolutely hilarious and might make you rich and famous.

I have long thought about doing a satire dubstep song where at every drop there's an urban-sounding voice that says "Don't hate, oscillate" and then there'll be heavily distorted oscillating noises as the synths, like oscillating fans, oscillating yard sprinklers, oscillating tones, etc. intermixed with the usual dubsteppy synths.

T1g, Teto, LLmao ?✊? and 1 other like this

Posted

That friend of mine DragonBottles made a joke album to show how easy it is to make a certain brand of atmospheric metal, and it got more attention than his serious releases. People cried with delight while listening to his joke album. This is a dangerous game you're playing.

LLmao ?✊?, T1g and Sahaqiel like this

Posted

A friend of mine knows people who make "Witch House" music. I never understood it before, and I'm not saying that I understand it now. But I just learned that it was intended to be satire. And it also shares the occult themes that I want to play with. I'm not setting out to make this genre of music, but there's some kind of market for this. It should be funny.

Posted

Hopefully incredibly pretentious, esoteric, improvisational, annoying and overly-long music. Like I want to do this and then if I can get someone somewhere to say that it's good then I'll laugh really hard. It's easy for non-musician artists to fart out albums. I'm thinking it's gonna be mostly satire of experimental artists and of performance art stuff. Am I making sense?

Like annoying drone noises with "woop woop woop woop" noises over it. And I'll be talking in a British accent with lots of distortion and echoes. I'm brainstorming names right now and I'm thinking like The Crystal Crystals, or The Crystal Skeleton, or like Psychic Knowledge Crystals

Esoteric Faith?

Tommy and the Banjo Boys (no Tommy, no banjos - think of the IRONY)

A friend of mine knows people who make "Witch House" music. I never understood it before, and I'm not saying that I understand it now. But I just learned that it was intended to be satire. And it also shares the occult themes that I want to play with. I'm not setting out to make this genre of music, but there's some kind of market for this. It should be funny.

Trying to enjoy weird music is like trying to willfully sympathise with the Nazi party. The fact is, if you have the will to do so, you can probably do it, but it's really not a good idea.

I want to keep thinking of bad band names

"Alex and the Dicklickers Present:..."

T1g, Sahaqiel and LLmao ?✊? like this

Posted

I have a friend who is really into Witch House. Witch House artists purposely make it harder for people to find them by inserting symbols into their band names or track titles, which in a sense makes it kinda' cool, just in that it has a weird mystery around it. I've listened to some, and it's not... bad? It's not the most terrible thing I've ever heard. But mostly it's a lot of really heavy droning and echo effects with really edgy vocals playing. Like one of the tracks was someone sampling one of Jessi Slaughter's rants, having her reverb all over the place with simple percussion rhythms and synth droning.

Reverb, droning, and house percussion are pretty much all that constitute Witch House as music really.

While my friend was explaining the genre to me (really enthusiastically, it's still his favorite genre; I'm not sure if it's ironic or not) I kept asking if there are spooky ghosts, pumpkins, or black cats in Witch House.

Posted

Man, it must suck loving Witch House so much. You'd be near totally isolated in real life. Poor lost soul.

Posted

It's got a Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_house_(music_genre)

Quoth the creator:

"It’s a joke.

Myself and my friend Shams—he makes house music, too— we were joking about the sort of house music we make, [and we were calling it] witch house because it’s, like, occult-based house music. It was 2009. And then I did this best-of-the-year thing with Pitchfork about witch house, and it was me and Shams and Modern Witch. I was saying that we were witch house bands, and 2010 was going to be the year of witch house, that it was going to get really witchy and stuff. It took off from there. Different people started posting about it on blogs, and it sort of became an internet meme. And someone attached the name witch house to the sounds that bands like Salem were making—the slowed down, spooky, Goth juke kind of stuff."

'...But, at the time, when I said witch house, it didn’t even really exist...'

However, Flavorwire said that despite Egedy's insistence that witch house doesn't really exist, 'the genre does exist now, for better or worse'."

Are you sure you want this