Unlock the Gender Thread please

Posted

unlock the door to my heart

Posted

i should write a really bad story

lJ8mFIW.gif

LLmao ?✊? and pheonix561 like this

Posted

An ironically bad story or do you actually like to write stuff?

Posted

In what units do you measure ego?

pheos

I'm coming for you

Pizzza and DR SHRUBBERY! like this

Posted

An ironically bad story or do you actually like to write stuff?

i like to write stuff but

heres the thing, i dont plan ahead, i just write. its how i like to write, because if i contemplate on my ideas, i will never get anything done because im never happy with it. i write whatevers in my mmind so its really bad.

Posted

That's intresting. I do that sometimes (not with writing) and whenever I come back to it I hate it. 

Posted

I've only ever watched one horror movie before recently. My new flatmate likes horror movies though, so I've reluctantly gone along with it. Turns out, horror movies don't freak me out at all. A jump scare will give me a fright, but only in the instant of impact. I guess it's just that one gore fest which put me off. I've watched a couple Korean movies with the flatmate and her friend, and then a couple found footage movies with the flatmate.

I think I'm understanding my taste in horror a bit. The Korean movies had more compelling characters than your standard group of archetypes, and more drama and intrigue than suspense. Of other non-Korean horror movies, we only watched As Above, So Below, and Grave Encounters. 

Grave Encounters is my flatmate's favourite horror movie, so I felt a bit guilty afterwards when, failing to be taken in by the suspension of disbelief, and would sometimes point out inconsistencies like the fact that the only time they tried to break the windows to escape, they were barred. They passed plenty other windows and never bothered to try. Nobody even tried and failed from what I remember. Then later on someone's like "shit my flashlight has run out!" when he was using two flashlights for just himself. Like, what do you expect? You'e rocking two flashlights at the same time? Then the ghosts were like, evil ghosts. The kind that when you look at them they're normal and then a second later they go full sock puppet and their face becomes a gaping mouth and gaping eyes. Again, like a sock puppet. My flatmate didn't appreciate this observation. After watching I had to make up a reason for the ghosts in the movie to be interesting. Maybe they're formless spirits that take on human forms to become visible and lure people in, but when they stop holding back their fake outward appearance distorts,as their disguise gives way to rage. Or something. It wasn't something that really grabbed by attention in the movie though. It was still a decent movie mind you. The suspense and premise and all.

As Above, So Below was better imo. It wasn't as big on the scares, but the idea of travelling to the gates of hell and back is just really cool. I especially like the concept of travelling to dark realms, through distortions in space. There was a part in Grave Encounters where they entered a corridor where it shouldn't have been, and I was disappointed when they went back to the main area instead of exploring that place. I just like the idea that, in a place that shouldn't exist, anything is possible. The rules of nature no longer apply. That's more interesting than ghosts. Psychological threat is maybe more interesting. People having nightmare visions, and surreal landscapes. Much cooler. But Grave Encounters was more classic ghost antics. Like Casper, but with more madness and death, and also nothing like casper.

Necropolis and Pizzza like this

Posted

I'm with you on Grave Encounters. It's a cool premise, asshole ghost hunters is one of my favorites, and its so rare. But yeah, it was a bit dumb, and the ending really shit the bed

Posted (edited)

i like to write stuff but

heres the thing, i dont plan ahead, i just write. its how i like to write, because if i contemplate on my ideas, i will never get anything done because im never happy with it. i write whatevers in my mmind so its really bad.

Sounds like you have a bright future ahead of you in writing scripts for a major network television show.

In all seriousness, I think this is pretty common and a good habit. I enjoy writing whatever is on my mind every now and then as a way to burn off creative energy, since it feels a lot more constructive than other common hobbies like surfing the internet. In my experience, almost anything that comes out of free writing is crap, but in general its a good way to develop a voice and tone. I almost never share it so it's more of a personal exercise.

It's also fun to try things like emulating the writing styles of your favorite authors just to see how well it comes out. Makes you appreciate how effortless they all make it look since the usual result is a disaster.

If you get a habit of doing over the course of a few years, it's really interesting to come back and look at your old writing years down the line. It really was surprising to see myself write about things that really bothered from periods of my life, and how easily they would fade over time and get replaced by something as equally trivial.

Edited by Brodongo (see edit history)

Posted

As Above, So Below was better imo. It wasn't as big on the scares, but the idea of travelling to the gates of hell and back is just really cool. I especially like the concept of travelling to dark realms, through distortions in space. There was a part in Grave Encounters where they entered a corridor where it shouldn't have been, and I was disappointed when they went back to the main area instead of exploring that place. I just like the idea that, in a place that shouldn't exist, anything is possible. The rules of nature no longer apply. That's more interesting than ghosts. Psychological threat is maybe more interesting. People having nightmare visions, and surreal landscapes. Much cooler. But Grave Encounters was more classic ghost antics. Like Casper, but with more madness and death, and also nothing like casper.

I started reading this giant H.P. Lovecraft book that I bought a while ago. It's pretty cool. It's not all "Cthulhu LOL!" I mostly read it because one of the best horror writers is compared to him often. Thomas Ligotti, who I had recommended to Necropolis before, is so dope. People call it "philosophical horror". I'm not calling it that, but I think it's a useful term to describe his style and subjects.

Horror is cool!

Pizzza likes this

Posted

Wish grimscribe wasn't so out of print