Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

I think I might have a job. I really need this job, do any of you guys have interview tips? The job is customer service representative, so I need to like, answer people's questions and stuff. I need all the tips I can get

Posted

just be confident but not cocky. Dont say anything negative about you or anyone else. Twist every answer you get into a positive response, even if the initial answer is negative. Don't be afraid to lie.

Teto likes this

Posted (edited)

Coming from someone that has conducted interviews for applicants before:

Interviewing can be a pain in the ass, but you gotta play the game:

This might be the only chance you have demonstrate in person that you are qualified for the job, so make sure you try to demonstrate the qualities that would be in useful in the job role you are applying for in the interview. Off the top of my head, a customer service rep would need to be patient, friendly, social, helpful.

-Make sure you do some research on the company that is interviewing you. It's not uncommon for them to ask you what you know about the company or why you applied for the job.

-Come prepared with a list of questions you have for the interviewer, about the job / company - to show that you interested in the job, and are ready and willing to start learning immediately.

Have answers ready at least for the following very generic questions. Practice answering them beforehand.

1. Why do you want the job? Sounds kind of basic, but this is actually one of the most common ways that  I see people getting crossed off the list of applicants. It's pretty important and having an answer ready that sounds genuine makes a big difference.

2. Why are you cut out for the job, and what qualities do you possess that would make you succeed?

3. What past experience do you have, if any, that would help you in your role should you accept the job? If you don't have any prior experience, just be honest, or try to draw an anecdote from your past that you can use to make a connection to the job.

4. How soon would you be able to start?

5. What are your expectations for your role?

Also probably just do some general googling of interviewing techniques that I might have forgotten, smile, make eye contact etc.

Good Luck!

Edited by Brodongo (see edit history)
Teto likes this

Posted

God, that's helpful. I'm saving it to my desktop. I just go into interviews with a little bit of research and as good an attitude as I can muster, and it hasn't got me anywhere yet, except when I almost got a job with a company I'm pretty sure was desperate for employees (an aggressive marketing company which accosts strangers on the street). It seemed like a demoralising job, so I backed out before it went too far. It was a good experience I guess, but after the mood boost wore off I was left feeling a bit manipulated and used. Oh well. Hopefully I'll get a job working in a shop sometime this year.

Brodongo likes this

Posted

Manipulated and used is how you are supposed to feel with entry level jobs. And most jobs tbh.

Teto likes this

Posted

Know your strengths and know your weaknesses. Do not lie. If you find that one of their requirements can be one of your weaknesses it's better to turn it into "well I've never had to do X, but I am willing to learn." Do not put yourself into a position where you can't do something and you lied saying you can.

Does that mean you might not get the job? Sure, but in the end it will be better, to try and get assistance at first than to go in having said you can do something when you will clearly not be able to.

Be early to the interview, you might need to wait but you will be on time.

Make eye contact with the person asking the question. If there are other people sitting in on the interview, make eye contact with them when you relay your answer, look at someone for a couple of seconds, move to another. Start and stop looking at the person asking the question.

Be clear and concise with your answers.

Go to the bathroom before getting there.

Posted

I don't know if this is necessarily something that will apply to your field, but this is a piece of advice my current boss gave me for interviews (I work at a tech industry staffing company, so we staff have to do job interviews with prospective clients to show them we actually know what we're doing). He said that when they ask a question to test your knowledge, you should try to give the most succinct yet complete answer you can within the first three seconds, then use the remaining time to elaborate and add further details until the interviewer stops you and moves on to the next question. Sort of like a spiral, starting from the center and working your way outward. 

Posted

So Etrian Odyssey Untold has these quests sometimes where you have to spend like, 5 days on one floor of the labyrinth. These quests are generally challenging when you first play the game, because five days amounts to almost half an hour, and you need to be very prepared. However, since I'm on NG+, this quest is trivial with my beefed up party, ao this half hour grindfest isn't nearly as challenging or fun, but I gotta do this quest. Just wanted to rant a bit.

Posted (edited)

My interview tip is to SMILE

They'll also undoubtedly ask if you have any questions for them, so think a little about what you might want to ask about your role. HA brodongo already said this one 

I remember at my first interview I didn't do this and I couldn't think of anything on the spot so I said "Not really, you took all the good ones" (while SMILING) and I give you permission to use this, my joke, if you need it

Edited by Ganny (see edit history)

Posted

Well, apparently I don't need to do an interview, they just make you do it. They also said I won't actually get the job until puppying December for some reason, I don't know what that even means.

Posted

FYI I'm removing the "Topics" widget in the sidebar. It was kind of redundant with the Posts widget below it.

Posted

There was a dead body found like, two blocks from where I'm staying right now. Someone come save me ;u;

Posted

Did someone BBQ it?

Posted

No, I still don't know what happened, it might have just been some old guy who finally bit it.