Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

Mr. Hands isn't that enjoyable.

On a different note:

I'm pretty sure I'm a Russophile and the sign language equivalent, cuz this excited me a lot:

russima.jpg

Posted

I hate crushes -__-

*Gets flamed*

Posted

I hate crushes -__-

*Gets flamed*

Live with it. :V

Posted

I live with it all the time :3

Posted

I don't see why we can't have a universal language.

It makes no sense to have a bunch of different tongues because it just makes it harder for all of us to communicate. It doesn't even have to be english. I just wish there was some language that everyone in the world spoke. It would make traveling that much better.

Posted

Yes it does. We spend the majority of our time trying to make sense of everything. If nothing made sense, there's no point in doing anything. jtrk would be the smartest of us all.

Posted

DinosaurComicsGayFrenchMoon.png

IntonationalMeaning.png

Dinosaur Comics has breached the subject of an unambiguous universal language many times. According to Ryan North, it would work pretty well, but would also be really really boring.

Unrelated other than it was in the same google search result, and is cool:

Sorites.png

Posted

I agree with the "would be easier if we all spoke one language" to an extent. It would make travelling soooo much easier, and it'd be cool to be able to have flowing conversations with everyone you meet abroad and stuff.

But if I'm totally honest, it would be boring yeah. Part of the reason I want to travel in the future is to hear and understand different languages. It's something I find intriguing to study. Plus a unique language is a vital part of all the wonderful, interesting cultures our world has. Basically, different languages is part of the appeal of travelling pour moi.

Besides, that one attempt at making a universal language didn't really go as planned... silly Esperanto. I actually tried to learn that once! With the help of some Esperanto site, but it was like 'meh never gonna need this really' and dropped it lol. Nice idea, but it's far too difficult to integrate nowadays.

Just my thoughts on it :>

Posted

It would not be boring. Think of how exciting it would be to have friends all over the world. You can still do that now, but not with people that don't speak a language you speak. You simply cannot communicate that well. At best, you'll resort to grunts and expressions to give emotions, which only portray so much.

It would only be boring if you thought of it that way. I think it would be rather fun.

Posted

Nope I like other languages.

Every foreign country would be a whole lot less interesting if they all spoke English.

Posted

I don't see how.

Posted

Nope I like other languages.

Every foreign country would be a whole lot less interesting if they all spoke English.

This^

Posted

I didn't say they couldn't use their own languages, anyway.

It would just be awesome if the world made it mandatory to learn two languages. Your own, be it english, french, german, etc, and the new, universal one. That way, we could all communicate with each other, we'd still need translators due to the fact that the "bad guys" could still speak in their own language, and people wouldn't complain about things being less "interesting" without separate languages.

Posted

I didn't say they couldn't use their own languages, anyway.

It would just be awesome if the world made it mandatory to learn two languages. Your own, be it english, french, german, etc, and the new, universal one. That way, we could all communicate with each other, we'd still need translators due to the fact that the "bad guys" could still speak in their own language, and people wouldn't complain about things being less "interesting" without separate languages.

This is already most places, with the second language being English. Everyone I've ever spoken to online has known at least fractured English. I've talked to people from nearly every corner of the planet so yea, English is all but a universal language on Earth.