Talk

16818 posts in this topic

Posted

Also accept Jesus.

Cheez likes this

Posted

Hey Phanta, is your avatar from Kaiju Big Battel?

A friend of mine in high school who was really generous (gave away tons of valuable/vintage collectibles randomly to friends) gave me a copy of that and I haven't watched it yet.

Posted

Yeah it is. I discovered it when I was a kid. My mom used to drop me off at the book store while she went shopping, and one day I found the Kaiju Big Battel data book. I instantly fell in love with Sky Deviler, my avatar. But my mom wouldn't buy me the book cause it was "dumb."

KBB is a proformance art group, from boston, that parodies both Japanese kaiju and wwe styled wrestling. Basically, they wrestle in rubber suits, but with dramatic back stories and such. I'd really like to see a show, but I'm not even sure if they still perform. The internet is surprisingly lacking on info. I'm jealous that you have a copy of one of the shows.

Honestly, I dunno if I would enjoy the actual thing, but the idea and concept on itself is genius to me. Pure art, even if it's not my taste!

Posted

Actually, if you're looking for more things like that, my illustration friend recently showed me the wonderful world of chikara wrestling:

Its like regular "wrestling," except unapologetically fake and utterly ridiculous in all the best ways. It has ridiculous characters that will actually die in the "stories," too. And the company behind it is so devoted to their canon/story/etc, that they actually had one story last year where a big evil corporation took over their company and kicked out all the good guy wrestlers, so they closed down their own stadium and opened up a bunch of tinier wrestling leagues as the good guys's response to that. They actually closed down their own arena in dedication to their story.

This guy in the mascot here, "dragon dragon," within the story itself, is an actual dragon, and they all just roll with it. It's an actual dragon that fights in wrestling matches with pro wrestlers. Here you can watch how he dies via decapitation. Also, this takes place I believe during the whole recent "bad guys shut down the arena" thing, which is why this video takes place in what is apparently some highschool gym somewhere.

Is this kiiiiiind of what you were looking for? If you were looking for anything else like KBB?

Posted

This turn in the conversation is relevant to my interests. I remember catching Kaiju Big battel on G4 in the mornings. They hosted Beast wars, but they also had segments with them. It was great. Actually, when I first got high speed internet, early dsl, Kaiju big battel was the first thing I looked up on youtube.

Also, Chikara is puppying GREAT. Its so ridiculous. Its like, all of the things that I like about wrestling without all the terrible. I just wish they had some kind of TV product... Kinda hard to keep up with sometimes.

Posted

Thats cool Pheo, but I dont think it would pertain to my interests. It's the ridiculous rubber suits that make it for me. But like I've said, I havent seen much of even Kaiju Big Battel. I think I'll look around a bit more for it now.

I had this idea, thinking about KBB and that data book, that it would be really cool to make my own Kaiju Zine. Not like a comic, but a zine with story details and mock articles, and lots of cool kaiju art with monster bios and such. I'd really like to collab it with some of my friends, actually.  The only problem is that im not very good at designing Kaiju. I feel like I clould probably draw them easily, but trying to capture that "man in a suit" look during the design process is beyond me. But i'll still try. I have some ideas already, actually.

EDIT- oh cool, the Pirate Bay has absolutely NOTHING on Kaiju Big Battel. Awesome.

Posted

Also accept Jesus.

Posted

jesus goes to pay for his midnight snack at a convenience store, but his checking account is out of money

the card reader declines jesus...

PrimaGaga and SilverAlchemic like this

Posted

One of the side quests in South Park stick of truth tells you to find Jesus. He's hiding in the pews in the church.

Posted

I was hoping this conversation would steer towards jesus becoming giant sized and fighting Kaiju. Godzilla vs. Jesus. That would make all the money. I know a lot about Kaiju, so maybe I could help out with that, but I can't draw really so not sure how that would turn out. Agent Zako on the other hand drew a badass Godzilla a while back.

PrimaGaga likes this

Posted

My mom thinks she's found my estranged uncle, so she's dragging me along to potentially meet him. I'll post more about it when we get back.

Posted

Did she contact him beforehand or what?

Posted

No. she hired a private investigator at one point, but is mostly just doing this based on various leads. She's been searching for him for years. One time, my Aunt got a Christmas card from him so my mom and I went to the return address and the home was completely empty. We dont really know why he's estranged, but my mom thinks it may be because his partner never liked his family. But yeah we went to his supposed apartment today and nobody was home. But the neighbors said that, yes, two men live there but they work on the weekends. They gave us some general times/days that they are usually home, so my mom, and probably me, are gonna check back on one of those days. I'd really like to meet him, but hes estranged for a reason. I dont wanna invade his privacy, or be an unwanted thorn in his life. That's why im hesitant to find him. If he wants to be part of our lives, or not, then thats his choice. My mom doesnt see it that way though. She says I'm a lot like him. Apparently we look alike, have similar personalities and mannerism, and the obvious one is that we are both gay. So yeah, i'd like to meet him, but i dont think that should be my decision to make. I actually met him once years ago when I was very very young, but I dont really remember it.