Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Zelda essay

24 posts in this topic

Posted

What do you think so far? Keep in mind it is NOT done. It has to be a full 2 pages. For English. We have to personify something and pretty much speak for it. It must have motion, and personality.

Another New Destiny (beta Title)

I have been swung hundreds of times, one by one. A young boy has pulled me out of my home, and has used me to defeat evil. I was used ages later by a young 10-year-old boy. But at that time, I was only pulled out. Seven years later, I was put into a sheath and hooked on the older, young man's back. After long adventuring, I was used to deliver a final blow in the head. Then I was put back into my home, so sleep graciously for hundreds and hundreds of years. SO much time has gone by....

What is that I hear? A loud pounding? A loud opening? I look ahead to see that I am in the Temple of Time once again, but it is not the same. I look ahead and I see a young boy running up to me. He has an anxious look on his face. He slowly comes up to me, and grips my handle. I feel myself getting pulled out once again. It is as if history repeats itself. AS I am pulled out, I see many knights putting down their swords, in honor of this young boy. Could this be another hero? He swings me and holds me up steadily and proudly, with a serious look on his face. He then puts me on his back, just like the other two heroes have done. I also notice his clothes and cap are green. Just like the other two....has evil arisen again?

We then head back upstairs from whence he came. I see a bunch of enemies roaming around aimlessly. As soon as one spots this boy, he pulls me out of my sheath and I get swung forcefully. I feel the wind on the sides of me, and I swipe the air. I feel force as I hit the bare enemies stomachs and bodies. I feel energy as I am put away for later use. I have never remembered how great it feels to be used after hundreds of years. We quickly finish off the enemies and see a wall of energy dissipate. We walk out to the outside world. I feel great energy surrounding me. As if...as if I have been here before. Is this Hyrule? Or is it someplace different?

We then head back into the castle and go through the opposite exit. I see a walkway, heading to a small pool of water and a red boat with a face. I then get sheathed away and I feel the boy walking to the water. I hear a voice, a deep voice.

"Looks like you got the Master Sword, Link."

I just remember. I am the Master Sword. And this is another hero, another hero named Link. Evil has arisen again. But it is Ganon or Ganondorf? I feel myself jumping into the air, as Link get onto the boat. He then steers it into a ring of light, and we start floating upward. I start seeing water, as Link is choking. We then bob out of the water, and the ring of light disappears. The boat then starts talking about a place called the Forsaken Fortress. I hear Link grunt and put up a sail. We start sailing and Link pulls me out. This is not Hyrule. I know its not. Why has Hyrule been put underground?

I look around to see nothing but ocean with an island here and there. Link puts me away a little while later, and it soon turns night. I fall asleep with the sound of the vibrating off me. The next morning, I suddenly get pulled out to hear a "Hyah!" I look ahead tiredly, and see a fortress. "We're here, Link" the boat says to him. I start shivering, as I feel anticipation and excitement. Something I haven't felt in such a long, long time.

What do you think so far? :joy:

Posted

Why. Give a reason.

Posted

Hm, essay? I think it qualifies as a narrative poem. Still, It is very good and the idea is great. The only thing I suggest is to maube find another way to go from one thing to the next. Instead of saying "I feel" or "Next thing I know" use other transition words. Such as "Then, suddenly" or "THe sensation of energy around me" and things of that sort. I think you have a great piece of literature here, just needs a bit editing which I'll ne glad to help you with if you need it. Good job Jared.

Posted

Thank you Mila. You're always the best :joy:

Posted

I had to write a personification poem, just THIS WEEK. However, I wrote about the TARDIS from Doctor Who.

Although, the LATER poem that I had written was about Zelda. I hate writing poems, not my thing. I'm much more of a story writer.

Posted

I love the TARDIS, especially under the Tenth doctor, though the Eleventh is doing pretty good.

Posted

I loved both of the TARDIS variations... Design-wise, I'm leaning towards the Eleventh's... If it were to be based upon my favorite Doctor, it would be under the Tenth.

The Eleventh just seems kind of flat... Is it me, or does the show seem to have The Doctor unappreciated now? Well, being written by Moffat... Come to think of it, in his episode "Blink", the Doctor didn't have quite that large a role/screen time either, did he?

Posted

The Doctor had virtually no screen time, not counting the screen time in the videos.

Posted

More or less... You think, that perhaps... Moffat is in production of a master plan to destroy the Doctor Who universe by removing it's most famous character?! That fiend!

I'm a bit upset with the new series, It's not TOO exciting JUST yet... Plus, being an avid watcher of the show since the Ninth appeared (although, I must admit, it was David Tennant that won me over. I didn't like the series at first JUST because The Doctor WAS BALD). Then I actually watch the episodes and discovered that they were just pure genius...

I'm going to miss the characters we've had for years... Rose, Jackie, Donna, Mickey The Idiot... :c Sarah Jane. Those few scenes before The Doctor's Regeneration were quite sad. I was unsure as to why all these other people were upset though, however, I think they all felt that something bad was going to be happening, such as the regeneration. Can't say I was too impressed with Matt at first either... He replaced MY Doctor, his first lines weren't favorable... I noticed he tried to be quite like David in the first episode. I'm more comfortable with him now though.

I actually intend to do that whole "apple" think he had with a young Amelia Pond.

Posted

It would be wonderful if yo could take your convo somewhere else XD

Posted

I'm sorry, I can't.

My soul is forever trapped within this thread... I can not escape, even if I tried. I think I need a Doctor.

Posted

puppy you're a dork. Zelda and school don't mix. Go die, Jarred.

Posted

Geez, what's up with everyone?

Posted

I like the idea and am surprised at all the hate, how old are you Jared? Some of this might not help but I hope something in here does.

As for the essay, I have a few suggestions. I do agree that it's a little 'dorky' but that's not always a bad thing. If I were you though, I would make it a bit more generic. The idea of "sword pulled from pedestal" is not unique to the Zelda series. The assignment was to personify an item, and if you're typing in double spaced size 11 or 12, you can definitely fill that space by personifying the weapon of a hero pulled from stone and possibly returned there without detailing the storyline that goes along with it. At first your essay sort of does that, but after that you basically just start telling the story of Windwaker. I'm positive your teacher isn't looking for that. It will be a lot more work, but loosen it up and don't tell a linear story, instead tell what a sword bore by a hero really goes through. Elaborate and over-detail everything. A good essay on this topic should leave the reader guessing as to what the object is for at least a little bit. Being a bit philosophical and intangible with your words will help. Your only goal is to give human thought to an otherwise inanimate object. Make it human. When you get stuck, think about the kinds of mental conversations a sword would have with itself. Is it happy with its role in the world? Sure it slays evil, but it is still a tool for war. A tool for death. This inner conflict would be a great topic for any essay, although it kind of strays from the strictly Zelda path you kind of went down.

Don't use names.

Don't use cliches.

Example:

I am an instrument of precision in my owner's hand. I am an extension of his body, a part of his will. Even when I am not directly utilized I serve great purpose. I am a symbol to any who look upon me; a symbol of strength, justice, and honor. I am also a symbol of death, oppression, and pain. All who look upon me know me for what I am, but their perspective alters what I represent.

You don't know what the item is, but just that handful of sentences sets up an essay in which you could voice the inner dialogue of a sword's mental conflict. Is he a weapon of truth and justice, or death and destruction? You could also take this much less seriously and use the Zelda universe a lot more.

Example:

I am an instrument of precision in my owner's hand. I am an extension of his body, a part of his will. Even when I am not directly utilized I serve great purpose. I am a symbol to any who look upon me; a symbol of courage. Fear washes from the faces of the oppressed in my presence. It is not just my owner that brings this ease and hope to those that look upon him, I am as much a part of that righteousness as he is. His power is given unto me and mine unto him. I am his weapon, the tool for his courage to flow through. I give him the means to destroy that which is evil.

In that example, I am talking about specifically the Master Sword and Link, but even if you take that route I still would try and make it somewhat generic and I wouldn't use names or locations. Right after an intro like that, you could go into how it rests in a holy place waiting for someone worthy, after it's found it becomes a tool for courage, and after it isn't needed it's returned. Think of the loneliness a sword like that would feel, were it personified. The conflict internally about its feelings for evil. It is a tool created to destroy evil, so it is dependent on evil. Can it hate evil? If not for evil, it wouldn't exist. As it sits alone, for hundreds of years, waiting for a time when it is needed, will it start to hope for evil to rise? Will it start to actually wish ill-will on others, if only for the reason that it will once again be needed?

I hope that is a little helpful, at least gives you some things to think about while you write your essay. :)

Posted

Wow, you totally surpassed me. Thank you so much for your help!