Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

3DS will be able to Install games

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Nintendo has packed 3DS with so many features that it's not even promoting some of the major ones. Today's Nikkei detailed one such silent feature: software install.

According to the paper, gamers will be able copy 3DS software to internal memory. Multiple games can be stored with the system in this fashion. You'll be able to switch between games by selecting a title from the system's main menu.

The paper notes that due to this feature, there'll be no need to swap cartridges. When outside of the home, you won't need to carry game cartridges with you.

Nikkei is a financial paper, so it obviously didn't get into the specifics on how this installation system will work. We'll have to wait for Nintendo to provide clarification.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/3ds_software_install/

SO, BASICALLY, THIS WILL BE THE GREATEST THING NINTENDO HAS EVER GIVEN US. EVER.

Posted

Awesome. Simply AWESOME~

Posted

All we need to see now is the price tag.

I am thinking: home console level price tag.

Reasons:

Insane amount of features

Innovative technology

Extremely high demand

Economics sucks like that.

Hopefully it will not go PS3 on us.

Posted

Good gracious. So, this thing is basically going to have the power of a major gaming console in something the size of a regular DS? With all these extra features? If Nintendo can actually pull this off, the 3DS will be the greatest thing to happen to handhelds since...well, their invention.

Posted

Coolio. I really want one of these.

Posted

You know, the nintendo dsi can install stuff like this, too.

Posted

So, why would you ever buy games for it? Just barrow and install your friend's games and then return the disk/card. Sounds like a bad move, money wise. Still, I like this idea.

Posted

So, why would you ever buy games for it? Just barrow and install your friend's games and then return the disk/card. Sounds like a bad move, money wise. Still, I like this idea.

If they do this, they are almost certainly going to have some kind of anti-piracy measure in place. My guess would be the game would have to be authenticated online before installation.

Posted

That's even worse. I can't even let my friends barrow my games temporarily, or give them away, or even resell them to stores such as Game Stop.

Posted

Well see, the used games business has been hurting video game sales forever.

When you buy used games, you don't buy from the company, but from the store, and for a much lesser price.

I admit that having an authentication code would be lame, because like, what if the next 3DS comes out or whatever, or yours breaks? You'd have to buy a whole new library.

So I'm going to count on Nintendo to make a safe, sound decision.

Who else is worrying about that price tag, though?

Posted

Nintendo has conservative prices. It'll be expensive, but I imagine it won't be outrageous.

Posted

Yeah, they understand price has a lot to do with accessibility.

I guess I shouldn't worry too much about it.

Posted

I'm predicting two hundred tops.

Posted

That's fifty less than a Wii, though.