Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why do some hate on Twilight Princess?

59 posts in this topic

Posted

So I am sorry to bring this up since I am sure you have all talked about it before, but I just really want some answers. When I was watching E3 I was shocked that when G4 introduced the Nintendo conference that they were hoping this new Zelda would be better than TP. After doing some research I basically found that people either hate it or love it. IGN gave it a 9.5 which is fairly good since they usually under-rate everything Nintendo makes.

All I am asking for are some straight up facts as to those that hate TP for why they hate it. TP is by far my favorite Zelda game for numerous reasons.

So why do some of you despise it?

Posted

Most of us don't hate TP, we were just a little disappointed. It was a good game, it was just really overhyped.

Posted

whoever hates it can SMD!

my friend hates it becaus he is left handed and link is right. he said its confusing. other then that i dont know why people would hate it.

Posted

Most of us don't hate TP, we were just a little disappointed. It was a good game, it was just really overhyped.

So what exactly were you disappointed in then?

Posted

Again, it was overhyped. It was also quite easy.

Posted

Indeed

but the Water temple was amazing

IT ALSO HAD ZORAS IN THEM OMG

But the new design for the Zoras weren't as hot as OoT's

Posted

It was just kinda boring and had really lame items. The Dominion Rod was awesome but barely used. You get the Bow almost RIGHT AFTER the Sling Shot, which makes the Sling Shot pointless. The Spinner is the worse Zelda item since the Ladder. What's this?.... ANOTHER HOOKCLAWSHOOT! So lame. Also, I thought the story was boring. Not to mention, Hyrule Field was so big and empty, unlike Hyrule Ocean. Wind Waker, that is my favorite LoZ game because it was nearly perfect, in my opinion.

It wasn't bad as a game, just for an LoZ game.

Posted

You won the thread P Hero/TLA :)

Posted

It was just kinda boring and had really lame items. The Dominion Rod was awesome but barely used. You get the Bow almost RIGHT AFTER the Sling Shot, which makes the Sling Shot pointless. The Spinner is the worse Zelda item since the Ladder. What's this?.... ANOTHER HOOKCLAWSHOOT! So lame. Also, I thought the story was boring. Not to mention, Hyrule Field was so big and empty, unlike Hyrule Ocean. Wind Waker, that is my favorite LoZ game because it was nearly perfect, in my opinion.

I will agree with you that the Dominion Rod was lame for never being used and with the bow, but I liked the Spinner. It was fun to use. Also the other clawshot made me feel like Spiderman. Also I prefer a large boring land with nothing over a boring ocean with nothing.

I will agree with you that the Dominion Rod was lame for never being used and with the bow, but I liked the Spinner. It was fun to use. Also the other clawshot made me feel like Spiderman. Also I prefer a large boring land with nothing over a boring ocean with nothing.

Posted

Uh, the Ocean was filled with SO much stuff. Mini islands and mini dungeons. Treasure chests and strong holds. Pirates and other boats. Each island was either part of the story, or a mini adventure. I also really enjoyed trying to fill out my entire map. Please don't say "the boat was so slow" because Epona was slower.

The spinner sucked. It was useless in a practical sense, and it slowed down the after two seconds.

Posted

Really? I never explored the whole ocean. I figured half of it was empty seeing as I've never seen anything in half the squares. Also I don't care how slow the spinner went, it was fun to use in places where it went fast.

Posted

I finished my whole map. Only missing a few pieces of heart and charts :l

I tihkn this thread should be renamed Why most people hate on Wind Waker?

Posted

Twilight Princess wasn't a bad game; it was a bad Zelda game. Zelda games are among the top tier of video games. When I play one, my expectations are brutal.

I'll say this. Twilight Princess is a better game than most games on the market. It definitely deserves the 10, 9.5, etc that it got. I'm not arguing with that.

Twilight Princess just...wasn't unique, wasn't groundbreaking, wasn't exciting...It didn't try to push the boundaries like Zelda, Zelda II, LttP, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Link's Awakening, OOS/OOA, Minish Cap, and Four Swords Adventures did. It was safe. It wasn't like Nintendo at all, as far as Zelda is concerned. Every single one of those games I mentioned pushed the boundaries in some way. Changed the formula. Shook things up and made them new again. For Zelda I, it was the huge adventure on the NES. For Zelda II, it was the 2d sidescrolling. For LttP, it was the return to the top down style with an even bigger game, with tons of sidequests, heart containers, and the like. For Ocarina of Time, it was an unbelievable story about time travel and growing up with tight gameplay that brought the series to 3d for the first time. For Majora's Mask, it was the moody, mature setting with the unique 3 day time limit. For Wind Waker, it was the vast ocean and colorful graphics, with interesting and colorful characters. For Link's Awakening, it was the complete departure from everything anyone ever knew about Zelda and still creating a wonderful, witty experience. For OOS/OOA, it was the adventure that spanned over 2 (almost 3) game carts. For Minish Cap, it was the ability to shrink and explore what the world looked like beneath link's feet. For Four Swords Adventures, it was the involvement of multiplayer.

Twilight Princess was Ocarina of Time for the Gamecube/Wii. I've heard that so many times, even in the IGN review you mentioned. "OoT's spiritual successor" I believe was what he said. Twilight Princess was safe. It was easy. It felt like Nintendo just gave into the fans who were all saying "We just want another OoT" and that's what we got. The only thing unique about Twilight Princess was the wolf parts.

That's the main reason I was disappointed. I expected Nintendo to push the boundaries, to give me an experience I've never felt before. They just recreated the Ocarina of Time experience.

I had some other gripes, like the bosses were way too easy for me, and the items were next to useless (slingshot, anyone?) but overall the main reason it disappointed me was that it wasn't unique.

Apart from that, it's a good game. Heck, it's Ocarina of Time for the Gamecube/Wii. Of course people playing Zelda for the first time are going to fall in love with Twilight Princess. Old veterans like me are disappointed because Nintendo didn't "wow" us. Hopefully, Skyward Sword is more groundbreaking. We'll see.

Posted

I guess for me Twilight Princess was a breakthrough. Don't get me wrong, I grew up on Zelda games. I have two older brothers and I was practically raised on them (just about playing every Zelda game out there beside some GBA ones). TP's 'difference and breakthrough' for me was exploring the dark side of Zelda and taking the graphics to a whole other level. Now I know LttP has a dark world too but its not the same in my opinion. I do agree with most of you that there were too many items to choose from (even though I as well liked the double clawshot and spinner) and the boss fights were to easy, I don't think I ever used a fairy in battle. But the other aspects of TP outweighted all that. Being able to ride Epona and fight at the same time, one of the greatest things ever. Who didn't feel like a badass? And in all honestly, I did enjoy completeing all the dungeons and the final battle was probably one my favorite of all Zelda games. I'm just saying that in my opinion, the things that people did not like about it outweight the other highlighted aspects of the game.

Posted

TP's 'difference and breakthrough' for me was exploring the dark side of Zelda and taking the graphics to a whole other level. Now I know LttP has a dark world too but its not the same in my opinion. I do agree with most of you that there were too many items to choose from (even though I as well liked the double clawshot and spinner)

Who didn't feel like a badass?

And in all honestly, I did enjoy completeing all the dungeons and the final battle was probably one my favorite of all Zelda games. I'm just saying that in my opinion, the things that people did not like about it outweight the other highlighted aspects of the game.

Well first of all, the dark side of TP was still safe. It was nowhere near as dark, mysterious, or disturbing as Majora's Mask. That side of Zelda has already been brought to the table. (Non hostile laughing Stalchildren that don't make noise but seem to be frozen in an infinite state of play, anyone?) Sure Rutela gets executed in front of her people, and Kakariko Village becomes a wasteland, but you never really seem to get the feeling that any of this is personal. Rutela might as well still be alive. She talks to you like she's still alive and tells you not to worry and stuff. In Majora's Mask, you watched people die in front of you. They can't be saved. Everyone was fearful at all times. There was a much heavier atmosphere. Graphics have nothing to do with it, and taking them to a whole new level definitely doesn't take the game to any new levels.

Hyrule Field in Twilight Princess had like, the most boring and barren landscape I could imagine. There were like one or two different mini dungeons. The rest of the secret areas were just contributing to the game's odd habit of shoving Rupees down your throat. Poe collecting was worse than Triforce hunting. In Wind Waker, every square on your map was an area of interest. Whether it be an island or a chain of islands, it required time to infiltrate and pry the secrets out of. It was pretty contrasting to TP's fear of having you without money. Even if some things became routine, like finding the fishmen and throwing out bait for them, it gave you a sense of completion when you filled out that map. You actually had a use for the Rupees, too. In TP, the only expensive thing in the game is one set of armor, that, after you spend 600 Rupees on, you have to waste more Rupees on, and you never even have to use it, because none of the enemies even give you any trouble.

Adding to that, I found it pretty stupid that you can sheath your sword all fancy in that victory pose after defeating a Deku Baba, one of the most basic enemies in the game, but not after defeating a Darknut, the most fearsome non-boss enemy in the game.

As for the items, the Slingshot became immediately useless. Even though the Spinner is enjoyable when it's used for its main purpose in accessing certain parts of dungeons, it becomes useless in Hyrule Field. I was counting on it being an alternate mode of land travel, but it starts slowing down right after you use it, and making it spin faster doesn't do anything but make you travel less far.

Fighting on Epona was fun and stuff, but you only had to fight hordes of enemies in certain parts of the field. Where are the mass hordes that attack you when you least expect it? You just get to fight like two guys every time you happen to go to a certain part of the map.

The game just sort of felt lazy. Like when the Bulbin King joins you. After that, Bulbins still attack you. That was a pretty awesome opportunity for some kind of massive horseback army fight before you duel Ganondorf. Like, you with the Bulbins vs. Ganondorf and all his ghosty horsemen. Then there was the ability to talk to animals. You finally get to know what Epona is thinking, and it's only one line throughout the entire game, telling you to stop being a wolf because you're obviously wasting your time as one. You are never able to talk to the boar mounts that Bulbins use. It just all feels so rushed, which is what happened. The hype killed some possibly well thought out development and left a lot of people in disappointment.

TP was good and stuff, it just wasn't that great by Zelda standards. FSA was a more memorable game than it was.

Sahaqiel