Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I need a refresher on Navi.

23 posts in this topic

Posted

I need some help concerning research on her: Does she ever really talk to anyone outside of Link, and if so to what degree? I would appriciate the help on this one.

Posted

i agree that if you want to know, play the game.

and if you don't like puck's fan fics, then don't read them.

Posted

She respects and reports to and from the Deku Tree, if that helps any. She;s mainly just an ordinary fairy from Kokiri Forest though: the Deku Tree just chose her specifically because she was to become Link's fairy, and Link's important.

That's about it. ._. Same as any other fairy. Maybe 5x more annoying than most, but we can't be sure.

Posted

She talks to the Deku Tree.

That's about it.

Even when people acknowledge her, they're just like, "Oh, you have a fairy. Pretty cool."

They don't really directly talk to her.

Other than that, she only talks to Link.

I believe playing the game is in order, here.

Sahaqiel

Posted

I have played the game before, it's just that I know I'll probably forget to check while playing the game so a straighter source seemed more useful. Thank you to those who actually tried to help.

Posted

I was about to suggest Navi was just a figure of Link's imagination, along with all the other fairies, until you pointed out she talks to the deku tree.

Man, I would totally write that theory. Navi, the little blue fairy only link can see, tells link things he already knows and gives him obvious advice. Also does things like stand next to things he's looking at. A psychiatrist would say Navi is a catalyst link imagined for venting all his frustration on, because he has a lot of it. He kind of got thrown into saving the world out of no where, among a whole lot of other crappy things he has to deal with throughout the game. You guys who have played OoT multiple times could probably point out reasons for him to imagine Navi better than I could.

"Oh, you have a fairy. Pretty cool." I imagine this sentence coming directly after link asks why they aren't paying attention to his fairy. And after they "observe the fairy" they end the conversation as quickly as possible and go back to what they were doing. When link tries to continue the conversation, they continue to engage him with little quips like they are socially obligated to, and then they go right back to ignoring him.

Someone help me find reasons more why Navi never existed this is great.

Posted

A long time ago, I read an article where someone took that a step further and theorized that all of OoT was Link dreaming, but I can't remember where I saw it.

Anyway, I believe there is a text dump of the game somewhere on gamefaqs.com or another FAQ hosting site. Start there if you want to be absolutely sure of all the Navi dialog. Personally, I believe Sahaqiel is right on the money with this one.

Posted

I was about to suggest Navi was just a figure of Link's imagination, along with all the other fairies, until you pointed out she talks to the deku tree.

Man, I would totally write that theory. Navi, the little blue fairy only link can see, tells link things he already knows and gives him obvious advice. Also does things like stand next to things he's looking at. A psychiatrist would say Navi is a catalyst link imagined for venting all his frustration on, because he has a lot of it. He kind of got thrown into saving the world out of no where, among a whole lot of other crappy things he has to deal with throughout the game. You guys who have played OoT multiple times could probably point out reasons for him to imagine Navi better than I could.

"Oh, you have a fairy. Pretty cool." I imagine this sentence coming directly after link asks why they aren't paying attention to his fairy. And after they "observe the fairy" they end the conversation as quickly as possible and go back to what they were doing. When link tries to continue the conversation, they continue to engage him with little quips like they are socially obligated to, and then they go right back to ignoring him.

Someone help me find reasons more why Navi never existed this is great.

I would say that perhaps the deku tree speaking is all a figment of Link's imagination, possibly a shared delusion by the entire Kokiri race. The fairies could be a way of Link coping with feeling seperated from the kokiri as a child, always feeling different than the others and creating the fairies in his mind as a way to visualize that difference. I could also see Malon referring to him as "Fairy boy" as kind of a little quip at him about him believing he was being followed by a "fairy". Kaepora may also be a figment of link's imagination as well, in a similar fashion, giving link orders making it easier to accept his mission.

Granted, this theory is kinda killed by people referencing her before link "speaks", Malon being one. Also, I think that zelda references her in the first time she meets link in her dream.

All in all though, Link may be very mentally unstable.

Posted

I wouldn't be surprised if he was unstable, he goes through a lot. I'm surprised everyone portrays him as so strong, in fact. Never in the games does he prepare himself physically and mentally for this stuff. He's just a farm boy, when suddenly oops all triforce and now he has the weight of the universe on his shoulders. Every time(that I can think of).

But yeah, I'm considering playing through OoT to find ways to explain that Navi doesn't exist. I think the fact that she disappears in the end of the game and he never sees he again supports the fact that he invented her to cope with the problem, and since it was solved he didn't need her anymore.

Posted

I kinda want to play through now and write the story of OOT from the perspective of sane hylians who are sane watching this crazy kid tear their world apart....

Posted

IMAGINE IF IT WAS ALL A METAPHOR.

FOR DRUGS.

Posted

I lol'd. Picking apart fiction from a heavily realistic standpoint is fun.

Posted

More than 70% of what you just implied or said wasn't realistic at all, as the entire game was unrealistic. It wouldn't be Link at all, but some dude dreaming or hallucinating in the real world, because that's the only way things like that happen. Link wouldn't have created Navi to cope with his problems, either; she was the one who informed him of the problem.

Saying that Navi never existed because of so and so applies to pretty much all of Link's companions, now that I think about it.

Navi leaves, Tatl stays with Skull Kid and her brother, King of Hyrule drowns, Midna goes back to the Twilight Realm.

I have this feeling you're trying to mess up this whole thing just because it is out of the ordinary to think about and idk.

If you look for evidence, you will find it.

Though I do think you should play Ocarina of Time. Like, actually.

Sahaqiel

Posted

More than 70% of what you just implied or said wasn't realistic at all, as the entire game was unrealistic.

Well of course, it's a work of fiction.

It wouldn't be Link at all, but some dude dreaming or hallucinating in the real world, because that's the only way things like that happen. Link wouldn't have created Navi to cope with his problems, either; she was the one who informed him of the problem.

First part is negated by looking at it as if the fiction actually exists. Second, how familiar are you with paranoid schizophrenia? People who have serious mental problems can and do create external manifestations who tell them those problems. They are subconsciously aware of the problem, they just need the external source to "tell" it to them.

Saying that Navi never existed because of so and so applies to pretty much all of Link's companions, now that I think about it.

Navi leaves, Tatl stays with Skull Kid and her brother, King of Hyrule drowns, Midna goes back to the Twilight Realm.

This is very true.

I have this feeling you're trying to mess up this whole thing just because it is out of the ordinary to think about and idk.

If you look for evidence, you will find it.

Though I do think you should play Ocarina of Time. Like, actually.

Sahaqiel

It's just interesting to think about, what things could be, from a real world standpoint. I'd look at it as what I would say if I had a patient come in and tell me he believed he was link and had a fairy following him everywhere.

oh, and I actually just pulled the sword of time before this thread started.

Posted

Well of course, it's a work of fiction.

First part is negated by looking at it as if the fiction actually exists. Second, how familiar are you with paranoid schizophrenia? People who have serious mental problems can and do create external manifestations who tell them those problems. They are subconsciously aware of the problem, they just need the external source to "tell" it to them.

oh, and I actually just pulled the sword of time before this thread started.

1) Yeah, which is why you can't look at it realistically without assuming it is a dream or hallucination.

2) You're contradicting yourself. You say you can't look at a fictional world as realistic as a defense for looking at a fictional world from a realistic world view, now you're saying we're playing by a fictional world rule.

3) THE SWORD OF TIME? YOU WANT ME TO GO TO THE STL AND PUNCH YOU IN THE DICK?