Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Twilight Princess' broken economy

25 posts in this topic

Posted

One thing that really bothers me about Twilight Princess is the overabundance of rupees in the game. Loads of chests contain purple and orange rupees, so it's incredibly easy to fill your wallet after just a little exploration. In fact, I found myself wearing the magic armor a lot of times just to lower my rupee count just so I could collect the rupees in a chest. Phantom Hourglass had rupoors and plenty of minigames to drain you wallet, but the former was kind of a nuisance rather than the creative use for rupees I'd prefer. Really, the only game I think has a good balance of rupees and things to spend them on is Wind Waker, thanks to Tingle's overpriced map translation fee.

I'm basically asking you guys what you think the best way to fix this is, or if you even think such a problem exists. I think more pay-to-play minigames would do the trick, or maybe a super-expensive item, but I want to hear what you guys think too.

Posted

Bandits and pickpockets?

Bandits show up on roads and fight you. If you lose you wake up a while later with some rupees removed. You can get whatever from beating them.

Pickpockets in crowded areas, and some indicator to show that you have been stolen from. Which makes it possible to stop the person who stole from you. You can't attack them, but you can chase them down and take it back or something idk. But if it's too crowded you can never really tell.

Not sure how that'd work though, since having crowds of people would make it difficult if you could threaten whoever you like, because even if you knew who it was, the controls would have to really really good to make it possible to target that person only without risking accidentally threatening people. And having pickpockets who you couldn't get your money back from would get really irritating if you keep getting money to buy something for a quest, and they keep stealing from you and you have to go find more.

And if you could only target the person who stole from you it would be too easy.

Scrap the pickpocket idea.

Posted

I like your Bandit idea. I think there should be another WW like game, you know the seas and junk. They could add bad pirates. You could have a real ship (like Tetra's, not like the KoRL) and you could have amazing battles with cannons and stuff. The battle would end when either ship crew boards the other ship, which would start a Jolene-like battle (Phantom Hourglass). You'd either get to open their treasure chests or they'd take rupees and treasures from you. (Treasures like in the piggy item bag, or collections like in the DS games)

Oh, we are talking about TP? Well, WW is better. I could go for another open seas game.

Jareddude likes this

Posted

Yeah, TP practically vomits Rupees at you.

I say just tone down the Rupees. Stop making orange and purple Rupees so common, but keep the high prices, so you're forced to do minigames or explore the land for more Rupees.

And stop making it so every time you boot up the game, Link forgets he's ever seen a Blue or Yellow Rupee.

Sahaqiel

Posted

Yeah rupee memory loss thing was really bizarre and irritating ):

and yes give me more open sea games, pirate ship battles would be fun. or MM-like games, where you could save rupees via the bank. That would be helpful no?

Posted

Yea, I was really annoyed by that too.

Though some people made a code for it to bypass it. (luckily)

I like how you could steal from the Bird at the Forest Temple, in the beginning.

This messed up the 'economy of Hyrule' even more in fact, hehe.

Posted

Man, I should really try out homebrew sometime.

Posted

Shit, wrong thread.

Posted

WW ChuChus were just the cutest thing ever ;-;

also wrong thread maybe? silly Lark

Posted

Sorry; thanks.

Posted

Pickpockets in crowded areas, and some indicator to show that you have been stolen from. Which makes it possible to stop the person who stole from you. You can't attack them, but you can chase them down and take it back or something idk. But if it's too crowded you can never really tell.

Assassin's Creed 2 does this. It's pretty fun chasing down pickpockets. aLttP also had thieves. But bandits in Hyrule Field would be interesting and fun.

Also I love the pirate idea. We could maybe even see an adult Link(like, older than what we're used to seeing. Into his 20's).

Posted

I think a youthful hero is more universally appealing. Too youths, adults, and females- younger men are more appealing.

(not sexually though, just, i unno, it makes more sense to me)

Posted

Gosh, I never realized we're so shallow regarding fictional characters... :/

Posted

WE ARE!

But no, it's just the idea of a young person changing the world. It's more fantastic that a child/teenager can do so many nearly impossible feats and stunt then a muscled up adult who has had time to train his whole life.

Posted

Never heard that one before.

Isn't that like, every Japanese game ever made.

21 or that kind of age is a good kind of age I think. An adult, but not so young as everything seems unlikely. Young heroes in games is one of the only instances where likelyhood spoils it for me. It'd be pretty cool if Link ever had a decent backstory though rather than. "He's a farmboy everybody likes him go save the world" "He's a lonely kid but you're going to save the world also your mom's dead" "You live on an island oh whoops your life turned upside down go save your sister and then the world"

And yeah storyline is a dumb thing to complain about but when there's so much storyline everywhere else it feels necessary to elaborate on the main character a bit more idk.