Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Wind Waker: Where are the Gorons?

45 posts in this topic

Posted

Probably one of the most striking aspects of The Wind Waker is the absence of species that were commonplace in Ocarina of Time. Everyone knows that the Kokiri became Koroks after being exposed to seawater, and the Zora most likely evolved into the Rito of Dragon Roost island. However, the largely extinct Goron species has not been explained at all in the series, leaving questions as to where they all went.

The first thing to notice is that despite what most gamers think, there are indeed Gorons in The Wind Waker. These gorons were well-hidden by the developers; they take the guise of the three merchants involved in the trading quest in The Wind Waker. These three merchants are placed on separate islands and can only be unmasked if you use the deku leaf to momentarily blow their hats away. Aside from that, there is a pattern on their backpacks that contains the crest of the goron tribe from Ocarina of Time, denoting them as being connected with the same Gorons from that game. However, This is all of the information we can gather on the three merchants, and it leaves a lot of room for speculation.

One possibility for the mass disappearance of the gorons is the idea that they were only recently wiped out on the destruction of greatfish island. Since the inhabitants of the island are never revealed, we are only left to speculate on who lived on the island prior to its destruction. However, after the island is destroyed, the remains have a sole inhabitant; a goron merchant that resides on the beach. It is very possible that this place holds sentimental value to him, since there is no logic in a merchant residing on an island that the rito postman believes to be cursed, not to mention the fact that the ghost ship occasionally makes its rounds there. therefore, it is possible that the island is at least significant to the gorons, and cold quite possibly have been there home.

Another possible explanation for the scarcity of gorons is an unmentioned event that caused them to fall out of favor with the other species. While no event is specifically alluded to, there are hundreds of years between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker that could be made into a game at a later date. Such an event would explain why the gorons are trying to disguise themselves to travelers, and why they are scattered across the ocean rather than living in one place. There is certainly a possibility that the gorons fear retribution for an event in their past, and therefore disguise and scatter themselves to avoid extinction.

That's pretty much all I have to say about that. You guys can respond to my theories or make your own if you want. I appreciate any feedback you guys have. :)

Posted

It could be possible it was Death Mountain, but who knows.

I heard if you use the Deku Leaf on the Gorons, there hats blow off. I've never tried it though.

Posted

Well for one thing, Gorons don't do well with water, and there's a lot of water in the Wind Waker.

On the other hand, there is a Goron island in Phantom Hourglass.

Posted

Agreeing with Aethix on both statements he made.

There's a massive amount of water. If the Gods flooded the land, all the inhabitants of the many islands could've gotten back to the surface. Gorons cannot.

Also, as Aethix said, there's a Goron Island. There's the possibility that they moved there? Although, isn't that whole game a dream, garsh. I can't even remember.

Posted

Yeah, Goron Island..... Perhaps when the waters came, they all picked up and moved to the World of the Ocean King and colonized there. I don't think the Goron on Great Fish Island is much an indication of anything- one merchant appears on Bomb Island, which is equally deserted and host to sightings of the Ghost Ship. Mother and Child Islands are pretty lonely places too.

The Great Flood itself would not have been an issue. The humans survived by climbing to the mountain tops, but the Goron were already up there. Of course, the humans may have pushed them out while trying to reach safety, though I don't think there is enough evidence to imply that. If Dragon Roost Island was formerly Death Mountain, the Rito may have driven them away, but again there is no mention of a battle. Possibly, while trying to adapt to the new world, they proved too inexperienced at crafting and handling boats, falling into decline while the other races of Hyrule learned to take advantage of the Sea. Some were lucky enough to reach Goron Island, where they could build a stable community and trade with the other inhabitants of the World of the Ocean King. Those that just couldn't get used to a world of water simply took off to find other lands where they would not need boats- Gorons have thriving populations in Labrynna, Holodrum, Termina, and New Hyrule.

Posted

Didn't Link see Linebeck's boat at the end of PH? Therefore implying it was real... or something.

also merchants were adorable <3

Posted

There's a massive amount of water. If the Gods flooded the land, all the inhabitants of the many islands could've gotten back to the surface. Gorons cannot.

Humans survived by climbing to the mountain tops before the floods game, where the peaks became islands. Gorons were already on the mountain tops. The only problem they would have had about the water was getting accross it when they had places to go.

Although, isn't that whole game a dream, garsh. I can't even remember.

It really doesn't seem like it. When you wake up from a dream, you aren't randomly holding objects you happened to come accross in said dream (Link is still clutching the Hourglass when he returns to the Pirates). Further, Tetra and Link were both there, and both recall what happened. And, of course, stories with an 'it was all just a dream' ending tend to throw in something at the last minute to show that in fact it was not a dream- Linebeck's ship in this case.

Posted

What makes you think Gorons don't like water

Look at them and their love for water in Twilight Princess

have you all been brainwashed by Pokemon's theory of water kills rock

Posted

We've probably been brainwashed by the fact that you drown to death in Majora's Mosque if you go in the water as a Goron.

Probably.

They only like hot water in Twilight Princess, anyway. And it's not even above their waist in depth.

Posted

And the Goron stuck in the rock underwater didn't like it down there. He complained, I remembered.

Posted

I would complain too if I was stuck underwater in a rock.

wait no I wouldn't cuz I'd be dead.

why did he not die.

Goron's can either hold their breath for a really long time, or they can breath underwater.

And there are a lot more Gorons than there are Zoras left.

And they CAN puppying breath underwater.

So I dunno.

Posted

Well, in Zelda2 Death Mnt. was more of a mountain range

So mybe dragon roost is actually a different mountain in the range

And the island with Gorons in PH is actually the main Death Mountain

Posted

We've probably been brainwashed by the fact that you drown to death in Majora's Mosque if you go in the water as a Goron.

Probably.

They only like hot water in Twilight Princess, anyway. And it's not even above their waist in depth.

I guess I should just give up theorising right now until I actually complete more than three games huh

Posted

Yeah, I've kind of beaten all the main games. Here, kiss my e-peen, it's gigantic right now, thank you.

The mountain in Wind Walker was obviously the tallest mountain from Tal Tal Heights' mountain range, sillies.

Posted

I have also beaten every main Zelda game. How many people on this site have done that, anyway?